General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

HJTHX1138

Lego Indy said:
With Lucas settling into retirement, is Indy 5 done for good? :(

33-Hallelujah-a.jpg

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
You all are in need of a serious attitude adjustment.

I will be more than happy to administrate such a correction.

Stay tuned.

Kurtz? He not dead?

Lucas must be hoping that by the time he gets around to Indy 5 people will have adjusted to the Lucasian attitude. Lets see Indy ride a toaster through the Milky Way. It'll take our minds off aliens and monkeys.

Montana Smith said:
Kurtz? He not dead?

Lucas must be hoping that by the time he gets around to Indy 5 people will have adjusted to the Lucasian attitude. Lets see Indy ride a toaster through the Milky Way. It'll take our minds off aliens and monkeys.

Sad to say. but the "Lucasian" method is rife with problems.

I hope Spielberg and Ford have a better focus on what we expect.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sad to say. but the "Lucasian" method is rife with problems.

I hope Spielberg and Ford have a better focus on what we expect.

Spielberg won't put up much of a fight.

GeorgeLucasStevenSpielbergPEOPLETIMEn7nVcfH0JN6l.jpg

And Ford will just be grateful to be Indy at 80.

oldindyharry.jpg

Johnny Nys

Zombies ... I'm thinking necromancy, the power over the (un)dead. Raise someone from the grave to reveal secrets. Could have a Fountain link. But won't that be a little too much "Pirates" right now?

Montana Smith

Johnny Nys said:
Zombies ... I'm thinking necromancy, the power over the (un)dead. Raise someone from the grave to reveal secrets. Could have a Fountain link. But won't that be a little too much "Pirates" right now?

That's one way to go.

Zombie-Indiana-Jones.jpg

Raiders90

I have an idea:
What if Indy is kidnapped? Just make a reason up for that. Either way, he's kidnapped by the bad guys. Maybe it's someone from his past with a grudge or something. Either way, they're in search of an artifact. They're in league with REAL BAD guys. It's something powerful, something dangerous if put in the wrong hands. Instead of using the Soviets, we can use people like guys working for Castro. Or Neo-Nazis who want to resurrect Hitler or create a Fourth Reich. Or simply a league of bad guys, think SPECTRE. Maybe it's a splinter group of some foreign power. Either way, there's the hired thugs (an archaeologist among them), who are working for the Big Bad. Indy however escapes and decides to hunt down said artifact for himself, to get it before the bad guys do. Mutt doesn't know Indy has escaped and goes after him. The story would focus on Indy, with some minor (subplot) time for Mutt. Or something.

Maybe Indy, in order to escape, sleeps with the enemy. Maybe we have an Elsa-esque character...But the opposite. An archaeologist sort of girl who is in league with the bad guys but who doesn't really believe in their cause anymore. Or who was simply born into it and is a good girl at heart. A reverse Elsa who wants to help do good, who wants to stop her cohorts from recovering the artifact because she knows the evil it'll do. Maybe she partly seduces Indy. After all, in his world, he does have a bit of a reputation as both a respected archaeologist, and in other circles, as a highly talented grave robber. A man has needs after all, and it's either escape or be killed.

How does Marion deal with that? Either she gets killed at some point. Or maybe she never knows. Bring a little antihero edge back into Indy's character...What she doesn't know won't kill her.

Raiders112390 said:
I have an idea:
What if Indy is kidnapped? Just make a reason up for that. Either way, he's kidnapped by the bad guys. Maybe it's someone from his past with a grudge or something. Either way, they're in search of an artifact. They're in league with REAL BAD guys. It's something powerful, something dangerous if put in the wrong hands. Instead of using the Soviets, we can use people like guys working for Castro. Or Neo-Nazis who want to resurrect Hitler or create a Fourth Reich. Or simply a league of bad guys, think SPECTRE. Maybe it's a splinter group of some foreign power. Either way, there's the hired thugs (an archaeologist among them), who are working for the Big Bad. Indy however escapes and decides to hunt down said artifact for himself, to get it before the bad guys do. Mutt doesn't know Indy has escaped and goes after him. The story would focus on Indy, with some minor (subplot) time for Mutt. Or something.

Maybe Indy, in order to escape, sleeps with the enemy. Maybe we have an Elsa-esque character...But the opposite. An archaeologist sort of girl who is in league with the bad guys but who doesn't really believe in their cause anymore. Or who was simply born into it and is a good girl at heart. A reverse Elsa who wants to help do good, who wants to stop her cohorts from recovering the artifact because she knows the evil it'll do. Maybe she partly seduces Indy. After all, in his world, he does have a bit of a reputation as both a respected archaeologist, and in other circles, as a highly talented grave robber. A man has needs after all, and it's either escape or be killed.

How does Marion deal with that? Either she gets killed at some point. Or maybe she never knows. Bring a little antihero edge back into Indy's character...What she doesn't know won't kill her.

Nah, that's rubbish.

Raiders90

I realize my idea was hokey, but I think a big problem is that KOTCS locked Indy in too much, that getting a satisfactory Indy V would be very difficult. He is married now, with a son. Henry, Sr. is dead. He is an Assistant Dean.

Going into an Indy V, you can't just forget the existence of Mutt and Marion, even though it would be ideal, that would never happen. You can't kill them off immediately or else that would be hamfisted and would come off badly. If Marion is in the picture, that means you won't have the old womanizing Indy. If Mutt is there, he'll take up some of the action (which is something we DON'T want) and a good chunk of screen time given Spielberg's mancrush on him. Which we don't want either.

So either you'd get a movie which basically ignored the events of KOTCS (which would never happen) or you get a Jones Family Adventure, starring Mutt Willians and co-starring Marion Ravenwood and Indiana Jones. Which no one wants.

It isn't like The Mummy franchise where the actor who plays the lead adventurer is still young. Brandon Fraiser is only 43 and thus despite his character being married and having children, he could still do pretty much any sort of action scene believably without it seeming hokey. Also that series isn't forever bound to the massive ego and stubbornness of George Lucas. Indy's fate is.

Indy V, even if they filmed it this year, would feature a 70 year old Harrison portraying a 50 or 60 something Indy...Not much room for believable stunts ala the original trilogy. Not jumping on to tanks. No going under trucks. His role as a man of action would either have to be utterly muted, which is something most Indy fans wouldn't go for, or have it mostly handled by Mutt, which again is something most Indy fans don't want. And they can't even do any outrageous stunts: How can you outdo the Nuked Fridge without being even more cartoonish? How can you put Indy up against something which surpasses that unless you have him face down a demon or Cthullu?

Really, KOTCS painted Indy into what I see as some rather inescapable corners. The only options I see are going for either a Hitchcockian or Twilight Zone-esque Indy V and somehow giving Mutt and Marion as little screentime as possible, which can be done. Or doing something truly radical and having Indy meet Cthullu or something.

The idea of Indy and the Bermuda Triangle and Indy actually facing a terrifying monster, something right out of Lovecraft's works, would be interesting....

But sadly the most likely scenario is that the last we'll ever see of Ford's Indy is him getting married in what was a mediocre film--That the series will have ended with a whimper rather than a bang...And that saddens me. Indy's final farewell deserves better than what KOTCS delivered, which is why I hope against hope that a good Indy V is made to finish up the series and give Indy a truly respectable ending, worthy of the character who went through the events of the original trilogy.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
I realize my idea was hokey,

Don't get me wrong I think Lucas will love it. ;)

Raiders112390 said:
...but I think a big problem is that KOTCS locked Indy in too much, that getting a satisfactory Indy V would be very difficult. He is married now, with a son. Henry, Sr. is dead. He is an Assistant Dean.

Going into an Indy V, you can't just forget the existence of Mutt and Marion, even though it would be ideal, that would never happen. You can't kill them off immediately or else that would be hamfisted and would come off badly. If Marion is in the picture, that means you won't have the old womanizing Indy. If Mutt is there, he'll take up some of the action (which is something we DON'T want) and a good chunk of screen time given Spielberg's mancrush on him. Which we don't want either.

This is why I see no future for another Harrison Indy.

And they can't even do any outrageous stunts: How can you outdo the Nuked Fridge without being even more cartoonish? [/QUOTE]

And again, why I argue that KOTCS was intended to be Indy's last blast. The fridge was the ultimate escape.

Raiders112390 said:
How can you put Indy up against something which surpasses that unless you have him face down a demon or Cthullu?

I look forward to that when they find the right actor for a 1930s-set reboot.

Raiders112390 said:
But sadly the most likely scenario is that the last we'll ever see of Ford's Indy is him getting married in what was a mediocre film--That the series will have ended with a whimper rather than a bang...And that saddens me.

And that is why I will argue that another film will only humiliate the character further.

Raiders112390 said:
Indy's final farewell deserves better than what KOTCS delivered, which is why I hope against hope that a good Indy V is made to finish up the series and give Indy a truly respectable ending, worthy of the character who went through the events of the original trilogy.

They blew it with KOTCS. That was the last conceivable opportunity to have a classic Harrison Indy. Pushing him and the story further would only make things worse. If we can consign #4 to a dream sequence, we can at least have Indy riding off into the sunset in 1938.

IndyForever

"THR: What?s the status of Indiana Jones 5? Steven Spielberg says he?s waiting to hear from you.

Lucas: I know, and I?m supposed to be working on it right now, but I?m talking to you instead (Laughs)."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523

So as we can all tell Lucas is still committed to Indy 5 otherwise he would just blow off the question at least we know he is now (after TPM3D PR) working on Indy5 probably fulltime now he has finished Red Tails + TPM3D.