Has Harrison, dare I say, become rusty?

motifone

Ok, I'm going to put this out there. Just one man's opinion, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong: I think Harrison's acting in this movie was pretty rusty. I partly attribute this to the awful script and dialogue. But it was also pretty evident Harrison's just not all there anymore -- age, too much pot, something. I'm not saying he didn't give his all in this movie, I think he did. I just found his acting pretty self-conscious, and his skills awkward and coarse, and timing way off. I was watching a struggling Harrison Ford, not Indy. Now and then, Harrison would find his Rhythm and Indiana would materialize, but the moments were few and far between.

Right from the beginning, something was off. In fact, I thought his lines had been dubbed - didn't sound like him at all, sounded like John Wayne.

I still had fun, and glad to see him back, although was disappointed on many levels. Karen was also fairly rusty, but I chalk that up to the script and not being in films for a while.

Again, only my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree, in civil terms.

Indyisreal

I agree, It did not feel like I was watching Indy at all throughout the whole movie. Alot had to do with the script. It just did not have the Indy feel at all. I am very disappointed in the movie. :mad:

isaac_z

the growl didn't bother me, but his intonation did. he wasn't speaking at all close to what i would call "natural." often, it seemed like he was reading.

He's slow on his responses almost like he's exhibiting the early signs of Alzheimers. I guess smoking all that pot has really fried his brain.

davejames

Yeah I agree. He still LOOKED great, but it was almost like he had been the sour and grumpy Harrison for so long that he forgot how to be the lively and animated guy of the earlier Indy movies. In every scene, his expressions were just all OVER the place.

The clearest example was his wildly over the top reaction to seeing Marion again, with him shrugging his shoulders and looking like a complete doofus.

Still, I can't blame him for any of this. He just didn't have much of a script to work with.

AnImaginaryBoy

I got to admit he was a bit rusty in the first couple of scenes, but he soon warmed up, and the scene when he sees Marion again, it's like he's back to how he was in Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was cool!

motifone

The more I think about it, his delivery kind of reminded me of someone that has had too much to drink, but is pretending to be sober.

Or, you know when someone calls you when you are asleep, you answer the phone and you don't want them to know you were sleeping, so you try to talk like you've been awake, but you sound "off"

I did a google of "Harrison Ford" and pot -- haha -- and there's numerous rumor links that said he and Shia we're smoking a lot on set. And I had a friend once who worked as an assistant editor on Clear and Present Danger. Harrison, he said, was a great guy, but was known to smoke pot right there in the editing room while visiting.

I'm not condoning or advocating the pot, but bad script + pot head do not mix well.

Bullwhip

I hated everything about Harrison in this. From the stupid "nocturnal activities" dialogue to the horribly-delivered "They're dates! Ya eat 'em!" to the grumpy, growling (maybe it was the intonation) "Try the local sewer!" to the downright goofy scene where Indy lets out an ear-splitting yell when Marion smacks him with a mirror and then barely notices.

OH CRAP. OWNED.

motifone

Bullwhip said:
I hated everything about Harrison in this. From the stupid "nocturnal activities" dialogue to the horribly-delivered "They're dates! Ya eat 'em!" to the grumpy, growling (maybe it was the intonation) "Try the local sewer!" to the downright goofy scene where Indy lets out an ear-splitting yell when Marion smacks him with a mirror and then barely notices.

OH CRAP. OWNED.

Nope. All those worked great :)

Salacious

I felt Harrison was fine. He was the best part of the movie...seeing him as Indy again. He had that charm about him again, which is awesome.

Too bad the rest of the movie kinda fell a bit flat.

I loved the action scenes in the beginning scenes with him. Wish his action scenes thoughout the rest of the movie were as good. The fight with the Russian around the ants....just didnt have that high octane energy level or the John Williams music magic that would give that scene some punch. Yeah, Indy got a beating and gave that guy one too, but it still wasnt magic like in Raiders or TOD when he fought the "tough guy".

Perhilion

Right from the beginning, something was off. In fact, I thought his lines had been dubbed - didn't sound like him at all, sounded like John Wayne.
I got that, too. In the first part of the movie I was like "what?? what's wrong with him??". But later I think he got better. Some of his lines sounded like they were lifted from an old comic book, though.

The line at the beginning You're not from around here, are you? was completely John Wayne-esque. I thought I was watching a western.

agentsands77

I thought Ford did pretty darn well. He was much more charismatic and fun here than he was in CRUSADE, which he pretty much sleptwalked through.

herr gruber said:
The line at the beginning You're not from around here, are you? was completely John Wayne-esque. I thought I was watching a western.

"Judging by those wubbey-u's I'd say somewhere in the Eastern Ukraine." :rolleyes:

motifone

Agent Spalko said:
"Judging by those wubbey-u's I'd say somewhere in the Eastern Ukraine." :rolleyes:

Haha... I just rewatched that part a second ago --- err, somewhere -- haha -- to confirm I heard it right in the theater. It is kind of like those old asian karate movies that got dubbed over in English. "I'm sorry, drop dead comrade".

I think he's most natural when he's with Shia.