Trailer Censorship Comparisons

Indy4fan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_1tTSuoNu0"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_1tTSuoNu0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Legendary Times

Great clip!

But what really gets me going is that the US version has an American flag waving in it.

I think that Indiana Jones, while being an American, is not necessarily an American hero alone: he is an international hero! Especially because 86% of all Americans don't even own a friggin' passport!

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I now realize how bizarre I thought it was to have the American flag waving inside an Indiana Jones trailer, it made no sense, and it still doesn't - which is evidenced by the release of the different, international trailer.

I can tell you this: it was a VERY conscious decision NOT to include the American flag in the international trailer. Ever since we have had a buffoon in the White House, the international community outside of the US has sort of started to dislike the US because of its imperialistic foreign policy. The America we live in today no longer enjoys the same reputation we've had 10 years ago - and all because of one, and I'll say it again, buffoon. He wrecked it all. But then again, the American people are to blame as well, because they actually voted for him - a second time!

Since this IS an international forum, what are your thought on this?

Oh, and before I forget: GO OBAMA! :D

No Ticket

Legendary Times said:
Great clip!

But what really gets me going is that the US version has an American flag waving in it.

I think that Indiana Jones, while being an American, is not necessarily an American hero alone: he is an international hero! Especially because 86% of all Americans don't even own a friggin' passport!

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I now realize how bizarre I thought it was to have the American flag waving inside an Indiana Jones trailer, it made no sense, and it still doesn't - which is evidenced by the release of the different, international trailer.

I can tell you this: it was a VERY conscious decision NOT to include the American flag in the international trailer. Ever since we have had a buffoon in the White House, the international community outside of the US has sort of started to dislike the US because of its imperialistic foreign policy. The America we live in today no longer enjoys the same reputation we've had 10 years ago - and all because of one, and I'll say it again, buffoon. He wrecked it all. But then again, the American people are to blame as well, because they actually voted for him - a second time!

Um. I think there was an American flag because they were at an American military base. I think they took it out of the international trailer just because some people overseas do not like America and they just want to make sure they get their money too.

Michael24

Legendary Times said:

The flag is there because they're driving onto a US military base. It's a shame they felt the need to remove it for international audiences. And I've always thought Indiana Jones was a quintessential American hero.

This isn't really the place for anti-American rantings, though. :)

Legendary Times said:
Especially because 86% of all Americans don't even own a friggin' passport!

And that has what to do with anything? I believe passports are really only required for traveling outside of the country, so there's much need to have one if you have no globe-trotting plans.

triklops

First I thought they might have removed the flag to be able to write "on may 22" in the different languages...Thought had too little time to adjust things so they took it out
But the international version we see here is also in English so I guess I was wrong :)

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

Okay folks, let's try to keep politics out of this discussion, shall we?

Indy4fan

Indiana Jones is a International Hero, he's not even in the US more than half of the duration of each film! In Temple he's not even in the US! Indiana is half american from his mother's side.
Michael24 said:
The flag is there because they're driving onto a US military base. It's a shame they felt the need to remove it for international audiences. And I've always thought Indiana Jones was a quintessential American hero.

And that has what to do with anything? I believe passports are really only required for traveling outside of the country, so there's much need to have one if you have no globe-trotting plans.

sandiegojones

Legendary Times said:

Which buffoon are you referring to? Unfortunately too many Presidents have been fools. That's because our choices are usually between a douche and a turd!

Still, Indy is an American hero, no doubt, and there's no reason to remove the flag. Having the flag in a film on a military base that takes place in the 50's is not a show of support for Bush! The great thing about America is we can vote for a new leader. Most of the countries for whom the flag was deleted dont get that choice! The flag stands for the people and freedom, not it's leader! As a San Diegan you shame me (n)

Blue Jay

Legendary Times said:
Great clip!

Very well put :)

I am german and while i love America and its way of life, i think GWB is a buffon and i am not so narrow minded to judge all americans by that. That is just wrong! It would be same to say that all germans until 1945 were Nazis.

I did not mind the american flag because i thought it was a nice shot and it fits because it is an american military base.
But i could understand how that scene would result in such a reaction because in the last 8 years there was a picture of the usa established in the world so that people associate the american flag with neocons.
It is a shame though.
In Germany we are not really comfortable with being proud to be german, that changed a bit during the world cup. It was first time i saw people proudly showing the flag and it was just great.

Damn censorship :mad:
Still the trailer is great :p

@Finn: Sorry for getting politically, but i started writing after post #5 and finished #11 :p (i am very slow and easily interrupted)

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note, take two

This thread is one where you discuss Indiana Jones and things related to him. If you have the urge to discuss George W. or any other alleged buffoon, I can send to you the Banana Islands where you can do so with your heart's content.

Am I speaking English this time?

sandiegojones

Legendary Times said:

I have a passport by the way, have been to Japan, Mexico and plan to Japan and Europe. I'm very interested in world history and appreciate other cultures. Why can't I be pro-American too? What about traveling the world would make Indy non-American?

Finn said:
This thread is one where you discuss Indiana Jones and things related to him. If you have the urge to discuss George W. or any other alleged buffoon, I can send to you the Banana Islands where you can do so with your heart's content.

Am I speaking English this time?
Gotcha! GWB is the last thing I want to talk about.

Blue Jay said:
In Germany we are not really comfortable with being proud to be german, that changed a bit during the world cup. It was first time i saw people proudly showing the flag and it was just great.
Always be proud of where you're from...just don't blow other people's sh@t up! (y)

(My family's from Germany originally)

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Times

Michael24 said:

I find it amusing that the moment someone speaks the truth it is considered an anti-American rant... With all due respect, questioning the status quo in any given country is NOT a negative rant at all, it is, in fact, the most patriotic thing ANY citizen can do.

And the argument that the flag is there because they are driving into a military base is null and void because the base is VERY far away. I live minutes from Camp Pendleton, and there are NO flags anywhere near the base, only RIGHT at the checkpoints into the base.

But the point here is simple, the flag was removed in the international trailer. THAT should say it all, and it does!

Sorry Finn! I wrote while you wrote your reply. I'm done. And I NEVER said Indy was non-American. Never. That's a ridiculous allegation... Thank you.

nitzsche

The flag is fine because of the setting location, but it also corresponds to the "May 22" which is a kick-off to Memorial Day weekend here in the States.

sandiegojones

Legendary Times said:
I find it amusing that the moment someone speaks the truth it is considered an anti-American rant... With all due respect, questioning the status quo in any given country is NOT a negative rant at all, it is, in fact, the most patriotic thing ANY citizen can do.

I wasn't questioning your patriotism, just your logic. Since this IS a censorship related topic this shouldn't be out of line. I completely understand why it was done and don't disagree that things are not as they once were as far as international opinion is concerned, but I don't like it. The flag is not about Bush, it's about what America has stood for and can stand for and if that is forgotten or just brushed under the rug then things will be even worse. I think Indy stands for that (at least in TOD when he brought freedom to a small village).

The flag should give people hope and if it does not then the people should try to make it right, not just forget it!

Again, not trying to offend so I apologize if I did! ;)

Legendary Times

sandiegojones said:
The flag is [...] about what America has stood for and can stand for [...] The flag should give people hope and if it does not then the people should try to make it right, not just forget it!

Now THAT, my friend, gave me goosepbumps and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree! Let's go have a beer now, so I no longer shame you as a fellow San Diegan... :D LOL

sandiegojones

I'd love to go to MacGregor's or Seau's (Chargers fan??) but as you can see I moved to Phoenix recently (for work, ya know?).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Skip to 1:05 in this tedious video. nitzsche is right, They're tying Indy 4 to the Memorial day weekend. Prime real estate, Indy owns it, always has. By the way, if the flag's exclusion is censorship, so are deleted scenes.
Blue Jay said:
I was happy to see the same thing in Stockholm in 1994. Why wait for 2010, or for somebody else to be nationalistic for you? (sorry, Finn, for a little thread drift:))