Trailer Censorship Comparisons

No Ticket

I always knew the flag was merely part of an establishing shot. I thought everyone knew that. I mean, geez, how many movies have you seen where they use something like that. It's the same as if they started on a sign that said "military base" and panned up to reveal soldiers running around on the base.

I just thought it was lame they cut it out of the international version (which they did folks, it was not added)... seemingly for political reasons and nothing else.

Kingsley

No Ticket said:
I just thought it was lame they cut it out of the international version (which they did folks, it was not added)... seemingly for political reasons and nothing else.
It's lame, but it's smart from a marketing point of view.

TheFox

No Ticket said:
Have you actually watched both videos running at the same time? It is quite obvious that the flag was added in the US version, you cannot seriously believe that they CGIed everything hidden by the flag (almost the entire screen) for the international version

Finn

Staff member
TheFox said:
Have you actually watched both videos running at the same time? It is quite obvious that the flag was added in the US version, you cannot seriously believe that they CGIed everything hidden by the flag (almost the entire screen) for the international version
Yeah, we see the cars running down the road a few lingering seconds longer in the international than the US version, where we instead get the Stars & Stripes in place of that extended shot.

So gotta agree with TheFox, US got cut, not the rest of us.

sandiegojones

TheFox said:
Okay, the flag is actually in the shot. They just jumped ahead 3 seconds on that shot and held it longer before desolving into the next. Watch side by side and you can tell the trucks are in a slightly different place on the road.

Finn

Staff member
sandiegojones said:
Watch side by side and you can tell the trucks are in a slightly different place on the road.
Hmm. Odd, I can't tell the difference...

sandiegojones

Finn said:
Hmm. Odd, I can't tell the difference...
Line up the bushes to the left to the spot on the road where the trucks are and you can see the difference. The international version shows that clip after the camera has panned above the flag. There was a thread that had an actual side by side running simultaneously.

EDIT: Actually it's this one! Go to the first post and watch the whole video. I also just noticed that you can hear the flag hit the flagpole in both versions even though there's no flag in the int. version!

Finn

Staff member
sandiegojones said:
EDIT: Actually it's this one! Go to the first post and watch the whole video.
I did, and that's why I commented about it. I wonder if the slightly different color scheming makes other one (note, I don't mean to imply either one) of us see sights?

Also, let's try to keep this discussion in the technical side. Just facts about flag/no flag and CGI barn door vs. an actual one. We don't really need any agendas or conspiracies looming about.

TheFox

sandiegojones said:
Okay, the flag is actually in the shot. They just jumped ahead 3 seconds on that shot and held it longer before desolving into the next. Watch side by side and you can tell the trucks are in a slightly different place on the road.
Absolutely not. In the youtube version posted in the first post of this topic, when both versions are on the same screen the US version has the top and the bottom cropped to fit in 4/3 youtube so you may think the trucks aren't at the same place but they are. It's pretty obvious when you run both versions at the same time in high resolution instead of youtube. Whether you like it or not, the flag was added and won't be in the movie as you will see.

sandiegojones

TheFox said:
Absolutely not. In the youtube version posted in the first post of this topic, when both versions are on the same screen the US version has the top and the bottom cropped to fit in 4/3 youtube so you may think the trucks aren't at the same place but they are. It's pretty obvious when you run both versions at the same time in high resolution instead of youtube. Whether you like it or not, the flag was added and won't be in the movie as you will see.
You are wrong and need glasses. I have run higher res versions side by side and the trucks are in slighty different locations on the road. I've already offered $1000 bet that it will be in the film. Also, listen for the little flagpole clang as the flag waves. Why is it in the international version if there is no flag!?!?!?!?!?

Pause it just as the flag goes out of frame and look at the largest bush nearest to the left of camera. It's not in the same spot!

Finn

Staff member
sandiegojones said:
Pause it just as the flag goes out of frame and look at the largest bush nearest to the left of camera. It's not in the same spot!
I see it now and stand corrected. They are not in sync.

However, another oddity I noticed is that the truck in the US version seems to run a little slower than its international counterpart. What to make of that... I dunno.

I wouldn't draw any bets though, for either option.

TheFox

Oh well, maybe you're right, we'll know soon enough I guess... It's quite interesting though because if the flag was added to the US version it could be for many reasons like Memorial Day, but if it was removed from the International version, that would be clearly a political move.

sandiegojones

TheFox said:
but if it was removed from the International version, that would be clearly a political move.
I think it was removed for that reason. I think theater owner get to preview things so they maybe didn't want popcorn, soda and machine guns to go through their screens. :p

Spriggan Jones

Finn said:
I see it now and stand corrected. They are not in sync.

However, another oddity I noticed is that the truck in the US version seems to run a little slower than its international counterpart. What to make of that... I dunno.

I wouldn't draw any bets though, for either option.

Could it have to do with the frame rates with NTSC and PAL? PAL runs slightly faster than NTSC.

Burke

A bit off-topic, but I just viewed the trailer in QuickTime, went into the A/V controls and gave it a bit of a retro B&W feel:

Brightness just a shade to the right of center.

Color all the way down (slider to the farthest left).

Contrast just a little more than halfway between center and the far right.

Bjorn Heimdall

I have no clue about the guns/no guns but it's quite obvious why there is no flag in the international trailer... USA is simply not that popular with the rest of the world today. So while the filmmakers wanted some sort of nod towards memorial day or something they knew that the rest of the world would take the flag as some "America is the greatest ever"-message and wisely skipped it.

Finn

Staff member
What's curious is to see if that shot's going to make it into movie with or without the flag in it. If it's the opening shot of the movie, it might work as a location marker (however one that can still be misunderstood), if it's not... I dunno if it's going to make it there.

One thing that we've got to keep in mind is that at least in my eyes, Indy's not a particularly patriotic hero. Sure, he fights against a lot of evils that more or less directly threaten his home country, but always seems to have an agenda of his own (most often preserving history) as the main thing to drive him forward. Besides, there's the fact he's been let down more than once by the authorities of his own government (most notably Eaton and Musgrove, but we might also interpret the Sheriff in LC as one).

The movies always seem to give him a personal reason to carry on forward, Indy fights for what he thinks is right (and often ends up disagreeing with a lot of world powers) so it'd be weird for the beards to suddenly imply anything that might be interpreted as hegemony, even in a far-fetched form.

Travis85

Upon further viewing of the trailers, I still do not think the flag was added into the US version. I think the flag is part of the actual movie as it does look like a flag the top of a poll and has the camera panning down to reveal the location :p I think the flag is there was a location marker in the movie, but was removed from the international trailer because uptight anti-Americans would mis-understand the meaning of it. Since the flag was edited out of the international trailer and the guns out of the domestic trailer, I guess both trailers were censored.

Last edited: