Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Indy's brother

When Indy drops the rifle and shoots that guy in the foot...I like how they show him kind of spaced out for a second, before it registers in his mind that this is his opportunity for an escape. If that shot lasted a millisecond longer, it would have been too much.

Morning Bell

Indy whipping and swinging from the crates in the warehouse is one of my favorite stunts in the entire series. The way it's shot and executed just looks amazing.:whip:

James

Indy's brother said:
When Indy drops the rifle and shoots that guy in the foot...I like how they show him kind of spaced out for a second, before it registers in his mind that this is his opportunity for an escape.

The shot immediately after this- where Indy runs in between the crates- is pure Indy. It reminds me of something that could've been lifted directly from ROTLA.

The single thing that makes Crystal Skull great is how it kicks off like the silent movie Lucas always equates them to. The dialogue punctuates and doesn't drive the picture.

Unfortunately, the film starts to dumb down and spoon feed us copious amounts of exposition. As though a third grader couldn't decipher the cave drawings in the Akator Temple...(the most blatent filler of them all!).

You have to love the pace at the beginning and the some of the great camera angles. Still love the Dovchenko fist/turn of the head. Indy and Dovchenko dueling hat tosses, the references geared to the adults/history buffs. Was worried about giant ants but they really delivered on that one. Lots of little gems...allways the little sly references of things to come.

Indy's brother

The music in the ant fight with Dovchenko. It's subdued--quieter than other IJ fights. Kind of majestic, more poignent. The music even stops completely at one point, to give it more weight. I wanted that fight to last forever. Actually, watching it today, I realized that the fight lasted longer than I had thought. Good stuff.

Okay, there's a lot of little moments I love, and many have already been mentioned, but here we go:
~ Indy in silhouette putting his hat on - Just a classic shot, and that moment literally took my breath away in the theater
~ The shot where Indy climbs the crates and stands on top - the music is just incredible in that moment
~ Indy swinging down on the chain and slamming Dovchenko through the glass - I think this is my favorite moment in the movie, classic Indy taking advantage when he gets the upper hand
~ Every nuance of Harrison's acting from the beginning of the classroom scene to the diner scene - we feel the same desperation and frustration Indy does
~ The whole spooky feel of the graveyard scene, coupled with Indy's lighthearted nature about it and Mutt's fear
~ The blowdart - One of those pump your fist Indy moments
~"I'd cover my ears if I were you!"
~ Oxley's "Henry Jones...Junior" line after Indy blows up the jungle cutter
~ Indy yelling "Head for the river!" and then spinning and punching Dovchenko - The whole ant fight scene is outstanding
~ The obelisk folding up to open up the temple was incredible - I loved the sand emptying out to open it, and the visuals of that scene are incredible
~ As several people have mentioned, the scene where the UFO takes off and then the water floods down is just awesome in every way

There's others, but those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

Indy's Fist

I'd like to add that I loved the haunting music for the crystal skull as well as the overall mysterious atomasphre of the skull and alien bodies! Very cool!

Agent Z

Dr.Jonesy said:
--The sound the casing on the Alien makes when cut

That is a cool sound, huh? (y)

I even love the way Blanchett pronounces the Russian, ordering the knife for said cutting. Sounds like "daten-nuge". I don't know why, but that sounds cool for some reason.

*needs help*

The whole atmosphere of that moment, with the lighting and music. Man, I don't care if you hate the snot out of the film in general, I just cannot see how someone could not just enjoy the pacing and setups delivered during the first 20 minutes of this film. Small and big touches abound.

so wah mu

I'll walk it through Mayan first...

Morning Bell said:
Maybe it's just a small thing but I love Drew Struzan's artwork. Once again, it looks great and really captures the feel of the previous films.

Except no immitations! He is almost as legendary as Indy himself! Almost.

i sent an e mail to a web site that exhibits his work -he sent me a reply. i can't vet it, but who knows? Only he! I didn't quite understand it as one reply was a link about artists and royalties i figured.

i don't know if it was his work for Indy 4, it seemed like it was CGI. i don't want to insult the guy, but if it was him who recieved my e mail and responded, just got to say thankyou!

We walk from here!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
so wah mu said:
\i don't know if it was his work for Indy 4, it seemed like it was CGI.

It was his work.

Another thing I'm very fond of is the presence of the men in lab coats in the scene where Indy is strapped in and staring at the skull. That sequence in the tent is quickly becoming my favorite scene in the film. It's followed by the ants: melding the Pat Roach-style fight with the phobia scene was pretty inspired.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
It's followed by the ants: melding the Pat Roach-style fight with the phobia scene was pretty inspired.

My second favourite scene too I'd say, followed by the opening credits (especially when the drag race ends and the convoy parts ways with the students when they come to the side road)

James

TheLastCrusader said:
:confused: I like your observations, but I don't remember/get this one at all.

It's during the jungle scene in the tent.

After Mac tells Indy, "Just like in Berlin," Spalko enters. Mac then spins around and says something like, "...just like in Berlin. You want me to trot off, or, should we sing a song?"

I just like the way he delivers those lines.

TheLastCrusader

James said:
It's during the jungle scene in the tent.

After Mac tells Indy, "Just like in Berlin," Spalko enters. Mac then spins around and says something like, "...just like in Berlin. You want me to trot off, or, should we sing a song?"

I just like the way he delivers those lines.
Right, now I remember. I just didn't like Mac, he's definitely the worst Indy sidekick ever. I do like it when Indy smacks him in the face.

StoneTriple

Dialogue
There are several dialogue passages that I really like. These are my favorites;

"Not as easy as it used to be"
Indy smugly dismissing Spalko outside the warehouse, in particular - "ouch".
"Brutal couple of years..."
Indy's indifference to Mutt on the train - "You're running out of platform...".
"They weren't you, honey"
"Oh, I believe, sister"

Situation
Something that's very interesting to me - and you don't know it at first - is the fact that Indy is in the trunk of the car while they're racing the T-bucket. The situation is a lot more serious than the hot rodders know. It has an interestingly sinister feel.

Visual
These are scenes that really moved me;

Our hero putting things right again.
scenes7.jpg

I love the warehouse having it's own identity now. I dig it's massiveness, it's darkness. Great first look inside.
scenes2.jpg

The location of this shot, great visual, fantastic solitude. After all he's been through in his life - Indy is in the middle of nowhere in the high desert, walking back to civilization. This scene has fantastic atmosphere.
My single favorite shot from the film.
scenes5.jpg

The mushroom cloud. I like that Indy experiences it alone. It's a very moving visual.
scenes4.jpg

I think this is a cool shot. Not just the usual red line on a map - now we're along for the ride as the plane passes over the carvings.
scenes1.jpg

This shot has an eerie remoteness that I like.
scenes3.jpg

Last edited:

James

Indy in the desert and the pyramids of Akator are two of my favorite shots as well. I actually wish Spielberg had held on both of them for a second or two longer.

There's another nice shot right after the desert one, where we see a close-up of Doom Town in the distance.

TheLastCrusader

StoneTriple said:
Dialogue
Situation
Something that's very interesting to me - and you don't know it at first - is the fact that Indy is in the trunk of the car while they're racing the T-bucket. The situation is a lot more serious than the hot rodders know. It has an interestingly sinister feel.

Visual

scenes7.jpg

I love the warehouse having it's own identity now. I dig it's massiveness, it's darkness. Great first look inside.
scenes2.jpg

The location of this shot, great visual, fantastic solitude. After all he's been through in his life - Indy is in the middle of nowhere in the high desert, walking back to civilization. This scene has fantastic atmosphere.
scenes5.jpg

The mushroom cloud. I like that Indy experiences it alone. It's a very moving visual.
scenes4.jpg

I think this is a cool shot. Not just the usual red line on a map - now we're along for the ride as the plane passes over the carvings.
scenes1.jpg

scenes3.jpg
Nine screencaps.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

StoneTriple said:
Dialogue
There are several dialogue passages that I really like. These are my favorites;

"Not as easy as it used to be"
Indy smugly dismissing Spalko outside the warehouse, in particular - "ouch".
"Brutal couple of years..."
Indy's indifference to Mutt on the train - "You're running out of platform...".
"They weren't you, honey"
"Oh, I believe, sister"

Situation

Visual

scenes7.jpg

scenes2.jpg

scenes5.jpg

scenes4.jpg

scenes1.jpg

scenes3.jpg

Are those caps fro, Blu-Ray?

I have standard DVD and that looks so much more crisp!

My DVD makes the film look to bright and colorful/cartoony compared to my computer, and it bugs me!