The 80's were a great time for cinema

Starting with Blade Runner, then Raiders, Empire Strikes Back, E.T.,Temple of doom,Return of the Jedi,and then the Last Crusade...Also any other film staring Harrison Ford...

cheers

Padawan

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well...I think it's generally accepted as a weak decade for cinema, but it's all opinion really. However, this is on the wrong table...

bob

I dont think we can possibly say if the 80's was a great decade for cinema, well for starters i suppose it was a great decade for SS and GL but the mist of nostalgia has yet to clear from that period.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I would say that the 70's were a far worse era for "great" movies than the 80's.
Indiana Jones
2 Star Wars (ESB & RotJ)
Back to the Future
Blade Runner
Just to name a few, I would say that the 90's brought about some great movies too, but the crown really belongs to the 1930's-1950's era films.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The 1970's were a terrible decade for cinema?

The 1970's:

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
The French Connection (1971)
The Last Picture Show (1971)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
Cabaret (1972)
The Godfather (1972)
American Graffiti (1973)
The Exorcist (1973)
Mean Streets (1973)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Chinatown (1974)
The Conversation (1974)
The Godfather Part II (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Nashville (1975)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Network (1976)
Taxi Driver (1976)
Annie Hall (1977)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Star Wars (1977)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Alien (1979)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Manhattan (1979)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I said that the 70's were a bit worse off than the 80's for movies...not terrible. I like several films that came from the 70's, but I think the point has been made.

bob

And wheres Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian! in that list Attila, those movies makes the decade in itself :)

Montana Smith

I'm about a decade too late.

There were some great films in the '80s. (Many of the great ones of the '70s were ruined by the fashion faux pas that was flared trousers!)

I have a lot of nostalgia for the movies of the eighties:

Aliens
Blade Runner
An American Werewolf in London
Back To The Future
Batman (before there was a Nolanverse to compare it to)
The Beastmaster
Brazil
The Company of Wolves
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Dead Calm
Death Hunt
Death Ship
Die Hard
Dune
The Empire Strikes Back
Excalibur
First Blood
The Fog
For Your Eyes Only
Gremlins
The Hotel New Hampshire
The Jewel of the Nile
The Last Crusade
Mad Max 2
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Octopu$$y
Outland
Predator
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Return of the Jedi
Risky Business
Romancing the Stone
Something Wild
Temple of Doom
The Terminator
The Thing
Trading Places

The real reason for digging up this fossilized thread, and therefore avoiding creating a new one, is that until yesterday I'd never seen The Hitcher (1986) in its entirety, and certainly never in glorious hi-definition.

Despite some glaring mistakes* it?s a great thriller in terms of camerawork, pacing, atmosphere and Rutger Hauer's take on the bold killer.

The haunting music, the sound of the wind, the dust storm, the desolation, decay and melancholy were all very reminiscent of the games Fallout 3 and New Vegas[/]. Especially the latter, since the film itself was shot outside Las Vegas.

*IMDB points them out, but there were some that were instantly noticeable.

Whenever a car turns over in a film I?m always looking for the tell-tale signs of the stunt work. When the two police cars both barrel roll the ram holes are clearly visible, and a pair of rams or tanks are also seen bouncing down the road.

Ryder jumping through the windscreen was an unnecessary low point, considering the fake glass used.

Yet, the film is so effective that I can forgive the shortcomings. After all, it was the '80s!

AndyLGR

I think the advent of the VHS also played a huge part in making movies more accessible and for me growing up in the 80s it was a golden era.

Indy movies
Star Wars movies
Back to the future
Gremlins
Goonies
Predator
Robocop
Aliens
Terminator
Bond movies
Beverley hills cop
48hours
Ghostbusters
Big
American werewolf
Running man
Rocky 4
Lethal weapon
Die hard
Ferris buellers day off
Fletch
First blood
Witness
Blade runner
Police academy
Caddy shack

Some of course I look back on with older and realise they aren't too great. But for nostalgia it's great to watch many of these again.