Does anyone here know how to use a whip?

jsarino

On my spare time (which isn't much), I'm trying to break in a real whip which I used for a cosplay recently (St. Louis ComicCon), but want to be able to use it properly, not just have it as an accessory. Has anyone here used a real whip? Any tips?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Why don't you try some videos on youtube? Unless you want to make some specific questions. Still the guys over there will be willing to help you.

Goodeknight

"Real whip" is pretty vague. What kind of whip do you have, and what did you pay for it? Type and quality will be major factors in how well it cracks and how easy it is to use.

I do have a good whip (a 10' Joe Strain), and I know how to use it (fairly well). Kind of difficult to write out whip cracking techniques. So, yeah, check YouTube.

Besides "how to crack a whip" search for "Adam Winrich." Soon (like in maybe 10 years if you practice every day), you'll be doing this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wzd34P5uTtU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora

I don't really know how to use a whip, as the one I have that I bought as part of an Indiana Jones costume is kind of crappy. It doesn't have any of the quality of a real Indy Whip sad to say.

InexorableTash

If you were near SF I'd volunteer to give you lessons. You might find a local enthusiasts group. Failing that, my good buddy Daren has a YouTube channel with intro videos:

http://m.youtube.com/user/flicky76

"Whip Basics" is a DVD series with a YouTube channel as well.

You'll find more discussion over on indygear.com's Club Obi Wan forum, which has a dedicated bullwhip section. You must register to read/comment, though.

Mickiana

The Drifter said:
I can wield the lid of a tub of Whip-Cream. I can throw that disk like it's a shuriken. Does that count?

Love it. Not to mention revealing the sacred contents within, proving the one, true tub of Whip-Cream.

Pale Horse

Staff member
It's all in the wrists.

jsarino said:
Has anyone here used a real whip? Any tips?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/07Upyd9EVog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HenryJunior

Yeah I learned a fairly basic forward crack, but I can point in just about any direction I want, (behind me/ above my head). The whip I have is wanting to fall apart though so all it's really good for is costuming sadly.

That isn't to say don't buy a cheap whip, they're good for a beginner so you can learn what NOT to do before you ruin a nice whip. Always wear protection when you first start practicing (jacket and glasses) because you will get hit, and it's gonna hurt. Even when you have experience, exercise caution.

It takes a lot of practice and patience, rushing into it will not wield results. Once you get cracking though It's very satisfying and I found it to be a bit of a stress reliever (but that's just me).

One big thing: It's not about the muscle/power you put into it, any decent whip will practically crack on it's own, it's all about timing :whip:

jsarino

Figures, I write a long post back, and the site decided to poop on itself last night. :( So, anyways thanks everyone for the responses so far! Good to know a number of you have "cracked a whip" as it were.

Goodeknight said:
"Real whip" is pretty vague. What kind of whip do you have, and what did you pay for it? Type and quality will be major factors in how well it cracks and how easy it is to use.

IMG_20140317_131240.jpg

It's a 10 foot, 12-plait leather (tanned calf skin) whip by Jzrj. It was about $100 or so. I could've gotten a pricier whip (Joe Strain, David Morgan, etc.), but I wanted something reasonable to learn on, and double as a prop on cosplay events. I've seen vids floating around on YouTube with these particular whips, so at least they seem to hold their own. If/when I get better at it, I do want to get an even better whip later on.

That Adam Winrich video was cool! I think I'll just stick to learning on one whip at a time. Gotta learn to walk before I can run, right? ;)

InexorableTash said:
http://m.youtube.com/user/flicky76

"Whip Basics" is a DVD series with a YouTube channel as well.

You'll find more discussion over on indygear.com's Club Obi Wan forum, which has a dedicated bullwhip section. You must register to read/comment, though.

I did check out Daren's video, and subscribed to his feed as well. :) I'll look into "Whip Basics" too! Have you heard of http://bullwhip.org/? Seems to be a very good resource on whips (using, maintaining, repairing, vendors, etc.). Also, will look into the Club Obi Wan forum (indygear.com has been a good resource for me in the past) if I've exhausted everything else. BTW, if I head out to SF (I used to go there annually to visit family), I'll look you up and you can show me some tips and tricks! :)

InexorableTash

jsarino said:
Have you heard of http://bullwhip.org/? Seems to be a very good resource on whips (using, maintaining, repairing, vendors, etc.).

Yep, Andrew Conway (the site's creator) is another friend of mine, and first taught me to crack whips at a "Bullwhips by the Bay" outing. He also wrote a book on cracking, but videos are probably a better way to learn.

S. Dakota Jones

I have two: An 12 plait, 8' Raiders* by Gus Caicedo , and a 12 plait, 10' ToD* by Emanuele Carmignani. Both are Cowhide and fun to crack! The 10' is beautiful, I fell in love with it when I opened up the shipping box. It is my favorite but I work more with the 8' since it does take more effort with the 10'.

*Both are Raiders styled but the ToD is darker colored.

S. Dakota Jones

InexorableTash said:
Yep, Andrew Conway (the site's creator) is another friend of mine, and first taught me to crack whips at a "Bullwhips by the Bay" outing. He also wrote a book on cracking, but videos are probably a better way to learn.

Oh man, videos for sure helped me out. I started watching them while still deployed so I could use my whip I had bought as soon as I came home lol. I don't have any books but I would like to get a couple.

jsarino said:
Thanks for sharing! Any pics of both whips?

Sure thing, I'll get some up here shortly. Probably just going to edit this post unless someone posts after me:hat:

S. Dakota Jones

Mods, I apologize but I can't seem to figure out how to edit my posts even though it says I can edit them at the bottom. If these two could be combined that would be awesome of you.

Both whips side by side, 8' on the left 10' on right. Both bought 2nd hand by me. Both are members of another Indiana Jones forum where I bought the first, the 10' I bought off ebay.

1401849646.jpg~320x480

8' Raiders by Gus Caicedo
1401849654.jpg~320x480

1401849656.jpg~320x480

10' ToD by Emanuele Carmignani
1401849662.jpg~320x480

This pic was actually from the seller I bought it from, I accidentally uploaded this one instead of the second pic like the above.
1401849663.jpg~320x480

Both are great, but on the 10' you can see the tighter braiding and overall nicer craftsmanship. I love them both and hope to crack the 10' as easily as the 8'. That extra 2' makes a big difference lol. I can do it but with a lot more effort.

I apologize for the crappy pics, almost all were done with my crappy cell phone.

jsarino

The pics look fine to me... thanks a bunch for sharing! I'm envying the quality of who's that you have. (y)

jsarino

^^^I liked that video not just of the whip, but the Adventurebilt fedora that was discussed early in the clip. :)