Favourite Music

Too busy thinking of one hit wonders now and custom dying a hat and looking a lot like poppa smurf here.

Whom was it Norman GreenBalm or such Spirit in the sky .
Teri Jackson Seasons in the sun.
me thinks they had much more but Who does All I need is the air that I breathe and to love you..

But then again all teh 50's 60's 70's was good.
nothing like an even alone that started with a susprise Table pread with 25 dozen Roses , Your honey dressed out to the hilt and you in a fine suit and your best hat and a pre sceduled set up with the cook for a special chateux briou and wilted spinish salad and some french onion and thend a cuddly ride home with some whiter shade of pale or was it paler shade of white and as you dim the lights some Patsy cline singing crazy and no one caring for the champagne then as you are going to finish this even off with a slow dance and.................

Johan

HAHA DC Talk...New Thang.
I listened to them when I was a kid.
Anyway...
My favorate artist it is Marcus Miller.

Tennessee R

gladhatter said:
Nothing like time in a bottle.

And Speedball Tucker, and Rapid Roy, and I'll have to say I love you in a song, and Roller Derby Queen.

All my favorites. He wrote, and sang, a lot of great songs.

and to Indy's Main Man, a slight grin with one side of my mouth.

Queen, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Frank Sinatra, Thousand Foot Krutch, POD, Switchfoot, Led Zeppelin, and John Williams are a few of my favorites.

Oh and Indy's_main_man... I have dc Talk's greatest hits CD. They're not bad.

I

Indy_Jones88

I like rock and hard rock mostly. Can't stand Rap.

Fav Bands are:

3 Doors Down
AudioSlave
Creed
Evanescence
Linkin Park
Nickleback

Johan

bandwagoner? Or do you like those bands because of thier music ability? Just curious.

Me? I Make My own music.

JohanEdi1t.gif

Last edited:

IndyMcFly

Chicago, Kansas, The Beatles, Elton John, U2, country music (just about everything, except Shania Twain and Garth Brooks), the Indy soundtracks, Michael W. Smith, Matt Maher, Tom Booth, 1930's swing, ZZ Top, Huey Lewis & The News, The Who, various other film soundtracks, ranging from Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas to Back to the Future, The Passion of the Christ, and Pirates of the Caribbean. There's probably a bunch of other ones that I can't call to mind right now.

In Christ,
Shane

Great choices Mc Fly , If any one doees not llike the Beates they have not heard them is all. They were greatest of all time period. Eagles were pretty cool too if you were around then. And let us not froget the oter big one the Rolling Stones. I even like one of Garths tunes . The Dance but it has a very sentimental connection for me. I am certainly not a country music fan but thet guy could be huge er hadhe not tried to make a 70's rock stage show I guess just an opinion.

Rick5150

Here are my top 5:

Beach Boys. I always liked the 60's and 70's stuff best. Nobody really thinks of the Beach Boys as a great band anymore because they are so passé - I think it was Hendrix that said "surf music is dead." The problem is that that style of music ended for the Beach Boys in 1965 or so, with a few exceptions. Some of their greatest songs were cetainly not "surf" songs or even "beach" songs. "Good Vibrations", "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", "Heroes and Villains", "Kokomo" and my personal favorite "God Only Knows" are good examples. In any case, you can't hear their early stuff and not think about summer. Passé? Bah! (Mmmmmm. Perfect harmonies.)

The Beatles were great as well, but I liked them more for their instrumental voicings which were unique for me at the time I was listening. I was like what the heck are the chords they are using? That doesn't make sense. Sounds good though ;) Nice harmonies although very different from the Beach Boys. They inspired each other and it shows. I love "Do You Want to Know a Secret," "Eleanor Rigby," etc. "Back in the USSR" is a blast to sing along to. I liked McCartney's solo stuff as well. Maybe I'm Amazed" is wonderful.

Pat Benatar and Neil Geraldo in the first 3-4 albums were an inspiration for my wife and me. I used to play a lot of PB songs and my wife would sing. More fun than a barrel of monkeys (Sorry Monkey!). Neil's quirky guitar solos were unique as well. Benatar was an opera singer turned rock 'n' roll singer and her vocal range is incredible. Get it all in "Promises In The Dark." I still get goosebumps when she hits the high note before the guitar solo. Highlights are "Don't Tell Her," "Heartbreaker" and "Hell Is For Children." Yeah, I like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" but it is way over-rated. That is a song that my wife and I did together, though, so it has a place in my heart ;)

The Kinks for their unbelievably catchy tunes and Ray Davies clever tongue-in-cheek lyrics-especially in the later albums. I have not met too many Kinks songs I didn't like. How can you not like "Lola." My personal favorite from them is Better Things, but I like all of their stuff but love most of it.

Van Halen. Up through the 5150 album Eddie was King. Everything from the debut album to then was jaw-dropping. Whether or not it was the blazing "Eruption" or the beautiful tapped harmonics to the "Women In Love Intro" Eddie had feeling and speed uncommon back then. Roth was arrogant but fit in with the music better than Sammy, IMO. The last 3 new VH songs were disposable if you ask me. "It's About Time" is fine if you ignore the lyrics. I cannot even pick a favorite from all these albums. It depends on my mood. I like 'em all.

Honorable Mentions: The Cars, Foreigner, White Lion, Sweet.
Favorite One Hit Wonders: First Class (Beach Baby), Paper Lace (The Night Chicago Died)
Dislikes: Most Country music
Exceptions: Country Rock/Southern Rock. (Eagles, Molly Hatchet, Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, etc.)

Music messages the soul and eases pain, but can make a more expressive statement than any words once you learn the language. For any event in your life, there is the perfect song that can accompany it.

Last edited:

Rick5150

Both Creedence Clearwater Revival and John Fogarty's solo stuff (Centerfield, The Old Man Down The Road, etc.) sound pretty similar to me, but I like their stuff. I like the more famous songs such as Suzy Q, Proud Mary, Fortunate Son, Who'll Stop The Rain , Have you Ever Seen the Rain, Lodi, Hey Tonight and traveling Band - and my favorite (thanks to "American Werewolf In London") Bad Moon Rising. Boy, that song just rocked in that movie!

I left out a lot of music since I really like most of it other than country. I tried to get into country once, but felt the bile rising in my throat and figured I would quit. Music shouldn't need to be an acquired taste. I do like the country-inspired "Fools" songs like "Life Sucks Then You Die," and such... By the way, Jm Croce is a genius. All the songs mentioned above plus "Operator."

I like the Rolling Stones, but feel that Jagger cannot sing too well. I have an album where his voice is panned way to one side and I turned the balance to that side and played along with my guitar. I guess I can say I played with Mick Jagger;) I put it on tape and my friends told me that the guitar sounds all right, but I needed a new singer. His voice fits the music though - at least their raw music in the earlier days. Just like Hendrix. Brilliant guitar player, but not much to listen to vocally. You do not notice this because his voice fits his style of music so well. Any band that can sing without music and then enhances their singing with instruments has my vote. The Eagles can do this (Seven Bridges Road) and Journey did it as well.

There is more to music than learning an instrument. It has to come from the heart and soul and should be felt as well as heard.

IndyMcFly

gladhatter said:
Great choices Mc Fly , If any one doees not llike the Beates they have not heard them is all. They were greatest of all time period. Eagles were pretty cool too if you were around then. And let us not froget the oter big one the Rolling Stones. I even like one of Garths tunes . The Dance but it has a very sentimental connection for me. I am certainly not a country music fan but thet guy could be huge er hadhe not tried to make a 70's rock stage show I guess just an opinion.

Oh yeah, The Eagles! And Queen!

But I was not around then... I'm only 15. Modern music is terrible.

In Christ,
Shane

westford

I like rock music from most eras - 50s rock 'n' roll right through to the punk/rock of today. If there's a guitar or two and a drumkit playing, chances are I'd like it...

IndyMcFly

Oh, yeah. 50's rock is good too... though I'm not a big fan of The King.

But not all modern things suck... you're using at least one example of a good one right now.

In Christ,
Shane

LASTCRUSADER

I like a wide variety of music. Anything from classic rock to modern rap/hip hop.Some of my favorite artists include

-George Therogood
-AC/DC
-Rolling Stones
-Tool
-NOFX
-The Tragically Hip
-Jet
-Billy Talent
-Eminem
-Weezer

Rick5150

Today's music - on the average - is a lot more angry, violent, depressing and full of really bad words. While I cannot say I do not like some of it, the majority of it has changed for the worse in my opinion. I did buy Nickelback (The Long Road) and Velvet Revolver's (Contraband) latest albums, but I am getting tired of the "let's tune the guitars way down for a sinister sound and swear a lot," mentality that is too abundant on the radio nowadays.

Granted, music should provoke an emotion, calm the nerves, get you in the mood for driving, help you mend a broken heart or put you in the mood for some loving, but nowadays it is more like everybody complaining at a loud volume. Music should be a positive experience.

I

Indy's_main_man

The Beatles....how coulde I forget them?

not to mention Tori Amos

and since everyone is saying John WIlliams i'll add his competitor: Hans Zimmer

Steve

I like many kinds of music. I can even listen to some country, just selectively. I am particularly fond of the original Skynyrd, Hendrix, Ten Years After, Allman Brothers, Cream, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash, ZZ Top, STP and Nirvana. I also love the Big Band sound, swing, and jazz. I appreciate classical music, but listen to it only on occasion. And then Blue Grass. I grew up listening to my daddy play mountain music and it sounds alot like Bill Monroe's invention to me. Be basically at heart, I am a rock and roller. That is the kind of music that I enjoy playing. Steve

Kate

Indy's_main_man said:
The Beatles....how coulde I forget them?

not to mention Tori Amos

and since everyone is saying John WIlliams i'll add his competitor: Hans Zimmer

OMFG !

Another Tori fan! I thought myself and DaBrode were the only ones. I love Tori so much... I find her music quite brilliant and inspirational, especially "To Venus and Back-" can't get enough of that one.