The All Things Alien Thread

Grizzlor

I point to Lucas' comment that this film is closest to Raiders to tell me that it probably has to do with Abner Ravenwood, the Ark maybe, the Russians we know, and whatever else. The odds are Area 51 is in there for comic relief.

Matinee Idyll

Does nobody else kinda like the idea of Indy in a temple in South America and on a couple of stone slabs are some decayed, mummified beings - with elongated limbs and strangely shaped skulls...

I think there's some great imagery in that - reminds me of 'Fate of Atlantis'.

As long as the extra-terrestrial beings are dead (an extinct ancient race?) I'm happy - I just don't want it to start turning all Independence Day.

Matinee Idyll said:
Does nobody else kinda like the idea of Indy in a temple in South America and on a couple of stone slabs are some decaying beings - with elongated limbs and strangely shaped skulls...

As long as the extra-terrestrial beings are dead (an extinct ancient race?) I'm happy - so long as it doesn't start turning all Independence Day.

I could handle that. As long as it's not shiny metal crafts and laser guns, I'd be content with some "horribly gnarled bones" ala FOA. :)

metalinvader

Matinee Idyll said:
Does nobody else kinda like the idea of Indy in a temple in South America and on a couple of stone slabs are some decayed, mummified beings - with elongated limbs and strangely shaped skulls...

As long as the extra-terrestrial beings are dead (an extinct ancient race?) I'm happy - I just don't want it to start turning all Independence Day.

That's actually a really cool idea and I could totally see that working.(y)

arkfinder

To those who are worried this will destroy the film. I say relax let's see how it play's out. If it's true then Area 51 would be a cool concept.

commontone

Matinee Idyll said:

That's a cool idea, but it's pretty much been done before in "Alien." They walk into a big hall in the crashed ship and see the bones of a huge, weird being laying on some kind of pilot's chair.

I guess it's not exactly the same (they see "live" aliens later), but I would definitely be reminded of "Alien" if Indy 4 does what you describe.

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
This is MY opinion.
Had you just expressed it once or twice... But yapping about it again and again and again, that's different behavior - and it's called trolling.

And if you want to check on our stance on trolls, please head out to the forum rules section right away.

misnomer

im not surprised by peoples reactions but I do think that if youre going to reject the movie on the grounds that it features aliens then youre setting yourselves up for a fall. Spielberg could make it work and I really wouldnt be surprised at all if aliens feature in the final act...I'm undecided at the moment. I think it ultimately depends on the tone of KOTCS- I for one am not expecting a movie thats overly familiar. Its the 50s, an older Indy...its totally new territory.

Indyologist

Yeah, I remember saying in a thread long ago that I hoped that aliens wouldn't raise their ugly gray heads in Indy IV. Aliens are such a beaten-to-death cliche' that, to me, I feel that their presence would cheapen the Indy film. Maybe that's what Koepp was talking about when he said the fans (meaning us) were going to "hand him his a-s on a platter."

But, meh... who knows. It's already been made and it is what it is. I'll go see it even if E. T. himself shows up and gooses Marion.

E. T. "Maaaareeeeoooon..."

IrishLuck1980

At first when I heard of Aliens making a appearance in a Indiana Jones movie, I was disgusted. But the more I think of it, there is one way you could have them in there where they would fit. Imagine Indy is in this temple, which is also a alien spaceship. He sees a throne with 2 aliens sat on it. But they are only bodies. Long dead. It could work. I mean hell, we got golden boxes that shoot out ghosts, people ripping other peoples hearts out, and then healing itself and living, and a cup that heals any wound and grants eternal life. Aliens, at least the long dead bodies of aliens, isn't exactly that far fetched when you think of it now. :cool:

Whipper

The 1950s were the era for Saucer Mania! Why would it be surprising to see or hear alien allusions somewhere along the way in a movie based in those times? Maybe we'll see Indy scoff at this movie poster from 1957:

saucermenrepdr7.th.jpg

Zorg

Matinee Idyll said:

Absolutely. And considering this is an Indy film dealing with ancient cultures and archeology, I'm pretty sure we'll see something like that. Not like the ending of Close Encounters, even if they actually are the same aliens.

IrishLuck1980 said:
I mean hell, we got golden boxes that shoot out ghosts, people ripping other peoples hearts out, and then healing itself and living, and a cup that heals any wound and grants eternal life. Aliens, at least the long dead bodies of aliens, isn't exactly that far fetched when you think of it now.

Yes. And if all that worked (and it did), why wouldn't a cameo appearance with aliens, dead or living?

Got to say that as great as all those sequences are, there's also so much more in each film to remember them by.

1ord3vil

My thoughts on some of the (controversial) facts and rumors:
- The story is set in 1957, in the age of science fiction and early space exploration. This makes the setting quite different from that of the other movies and a few scenes will probably reflect the spirit of the era. There's no question in my mind that this will be great if done right.
- The Atom bomb. This too could be great if done right. For example as part of an opening scene where Indy scrambles into a nuclear test site in the desert to save some artifact in before it is blown to smitherines in a nuclear test.
- Area 51. This location in itself is just fine, but whether it will work is highly dependent on the context. A few scenes set there don't necessarily have to deal with aliens and UFOs and if the location is instead connected to nuclear testing it could work out nicely. It depends.
- The Ark. We've heard rumors that this is in the movie as well. Apart from the Map Room theme that goes along with it (which is SO Indiana Jones), I just can't see how it can be integrated well into this movie, based on what we know about the storyline so far. The only way I could see it work is if they show it in the opening scene and disregard it for the rest of the movie somehow, sort of like the idol in Raiders.
- Aliens. If portrayed as mummified remains of ancient gods from the sky this could be turn out to be pretty cool. I don't really want to see living creatures from outer space in an Indiana Jones movie though.
- Aztec spaceship pyramid. Sounds like a really poor idea if you ask me. I fail to see how this can be done well, but if it's the only bump in the road of an otherwise great ride it won't matter too much.

Thoughts?

11thIndian

The Stranger said:
I personally disagree. I don't think it's the same thing for me. At least, I think it would depend on the context.

That's absolutely my standpoint as well. I think there's a comfort level for the supernatural in the Indiana Jones movies- and everyone is going to have their own threshold. I think what attracts people to the IJ movies is that by and large they are action/adventure movies taking place in the real world, where hints at the supernatural are an uncommon experience, even for Indy. If you look at RAIDERS, Indy seems as surprised as anyone that the ark and it's supernatural power. In fact, they way I'd always read RAIDERS (until I knew that DOOM came before it) was that the ark was Indy's first brush with the supernatural. The early parts of RAIDERS certainly don't lead the audience to believe that Indiana is anything less than highly skeptical of the ark's power- "I'm going after a find of huge archeological significance and you're talking about the boogyman!". Taken on it's own, RAIDERS reads like a Republic serial meets Twilight Zone.

So, once we see more and more supernatural elements (Shankara Stones in DOOM, Grail in CRUSADE), my tolerance level for just how much supernatural there is in Indy's world increases. And I guess some people perceive more of a split between religious supernaturalism and aliens than I do. As long as aliens are treated the same way that the religious supernaturalism is in the first 3 movies- a power that few are aware of, and that Indy doesn't completely understand, then they serve the same function.

I think a lot of the suppositions you make about how aliens are integrated into the story are just that. And until we see more of the movie it's hard to tell exactly how integrated aliens will be into the entire story- they may only be a maguffin that appear at the end of the movie. Who knows?

Dr. Indy Jones

WOW, you kinda took the words that I would have said, lol. But I do agree, if they keep it to were Indy doesn't understand it like he does in the other films then I'm fine with it. But if they turn this film around making it all Sci-Fi, then I'm not sure how I'll like it then. :whip:

Paulio

I Agree, as crazy as it might sound to some people, I think we might tend to think of god, supernatural powers, and legends such as the grail as more real than beings from another planet.

If the film suggests alien involvement with earths past civilizations, or even alien bones towards the end of the film then I wouldnt have a problem.

However, I think I speak for all of us when i say we dont want any living CGI aliens walking around in the film and talking to Indy is english....................I dont want jar jar binks appearing at the end of the film, or E.T, or a "Grey" who approaches indy from a flying saucer, shaking his hand, and saying "your species are not ready yet" type statement before flying off and leaving us with the credits.

I dont think Indy 4 will be like this at all and I have full confidence that Spielberg will produce what we all want. It probably wont meet the expectations of some (beating the previous films) but it wont be the worst either and it will just give us another great Indy experience.

Whatever happens, I know when I visit this board in June next year, either there will be some members (who we all know) who will say "It was sh*t, and I told you so" or the film will be great and we will all be calling for Indy 5 before Harrison starts using a walking stick.