Old Indy pre-production costume test? (image heavy)

ATMachine

I've mentioned before on another subforum that in the Young Indy comic series, Old Indy appears rather different from how he looks in the original TV airings.

The comics' Old Indy has two eyes (thus no eyepatch or scar), doesn't wear glasses or vests, wears white dress shirts instead of plaids and checks, and his cane has a standard curved wooden handle, not the fancy brass eagle-head handle design.

On the other hand, he still dresses in brown tweed suits with bow ties, and still has his cane and trademark fedora, so the artists can't have been working without at least some idea of what Old Indy was supposed to look like.

Since other characters in the comic (notably 10 year old Indy and his parents) seem to have been modeled on the actors in costume and are drawn reasonably accurately, I'd guess the art elements sent to the comic book makers for reference were actually images of pre-production costume tests, done before Old Indy's look was finalized.

I bring this back up because at the time I first mentioned this last year, I wasn't quite sure where the alternate Old Indy look had come from. I've since realized it was probably a photo shoot of the original WIP Old Indy costume. Other productions do similar things: for example, the first in-costume cast photos film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl feature Commodore Norrington wearing a uniform not used in the final film.

The vest was probably added to emphasize his age, vests no longer being a standard component of a suit, and the eagle cane is a bit fancier than a plain wood-handled model. As for the eyepatch, scar, and glasses, who knows? Perhaps they disguise the facial differences between George Hall and Harrison.

Reference photos:
mo_11.jpg

mo_12.jpg

indyoldcomic18.png
indyoldcomic24.png

indyoldcomic2.png

indyoldcomic20.png
indyoldcomic21.png

indyoldcomic22.png
indyoldcomic19.png

indyoldcomic3.png

indyoldcomic26.png
indyoldcomic25.png
indyoldcomic4.png

indyoldcomic13.png
indyoldcomic14.png

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Apart from the point about development of the costume over time, which seems like a perfectly reasonable point, it's also true that the plainer the costume, the simpler it is to draw. This stands out most to me on the point about the plaid in the show that did not appear in the comics.

Finn

Staff member
Another thing of note is that (at least to my eye), the comic book version of Old Indy hasn't obviously been based on George Hall, but Harrison Ford. That might help explain some of the differences.

IndyJr.

I disagree with your comment on the vest... I have a vest. I wear it a lot. I also have a fedora as well as a suit, dress shirt and tie. I wear them all occasionally... on special occasions.

I wear my fedora almost all the time even when I go exploring out in the woods...

rethink you're comments... young man! :p

Flannery10

Finn said:
Another thing of note is that (at least to my eye), the comic book version of Old Indy hasn't obviously been based on George Hall, but Harrison Ford. That might help explain some of the differences.

That's what I thought, immediately. While George Hall has this great craggy face, in which you can see that Indy did a dangerous job once, the guy in the comics is more the businnesman or teacher kinda guy, who likes to educate people.

ATMachine

IndyJr. said:
I disagree with your comment on the vest... I have a vest. I wear it a lot. I also have a fedora as well as a suit, dress shirt and tie. I wear them all occasionally... on special occasions.

I wear my fedora almost all the time even when I go exploring out in the woods...

rethink you're comments... young man! :p
In point of honesty I love vests too (I have a small collection) but even so you have to admit that most people don't have the rarefied fashion sense necessary to wear them.

And Attila's point about the plaid being omitted simply for clarity of line is certainly valid; I was rather unsure on the point myself.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I've got a few vests myself, but it's an old school look, no question, even when it is being revived as up-to-the-minute fashion. And I think Finn and Flannery10 make a very good pair of points as well, that this looks more like a semi-generic aged version of Harrison Ford than anything else.

Webley

I was looking at the photos at the top of this thread of George is that a scar I see on his chin? and if so is it fake?

Stoo

Yes, Webley. The scar on the chin is fake (as well as the HUGE one on the right side of his face!:D)

I'm still on the search for a good copy of this image. Does anyone know it's source?:confused:

OldIndy_Class1.jpg

OldIndy_Class2.jpg

OldIndy_Class3.jpg

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^Now that is an interesting photo find. I've never seen it before. Maybe it was only for photo shoot purposes. Unless there's a bookend I don't know about involving a blackboard and Old Indy teaching in class.

Stoo

Hi, Violet. I posted those images several months ago in the Old Indy Chronicles thread asking about the source of the photo but no one replied.:( It's definitely a publicity shot and not from a bookend. (In the 2nd pic, you can see that someone added the drawing of the grail to the blackboard.)

Would really love to see/have a higher-res image...

ATMachine

Stoo, I have this version of the image saved on my hard drive. Can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded it, though, only that it was a very old fan website where I found it in 2007!

It's very poor quality unfortunately, and has an odd color tint. Oh well.

yij57.jpg

It LOOKS like Old Indy is standing in front of the classroom chalkboard that Henry Sr is writing on in the very first episode! I guess THIS was the Old Indy costume test. Note too that he's holding an early version of his cane, without the familiar eagle head.

Stoo

ATMachine said:
Stoo, I have this version of the image saved on my hard drive. Can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded it, though, only that it was a very old fan website where I found it in 2007!
HOLY SH*T! THANK YOU, ATMachine! I'm still curious to know when & where this was first published.
ATMachine said:
It's very poor quality unfortunately, and has an odd color tint. Oh well.
That can be fixed. No problem.
ATMachine said:
It LOOKS like Old Indy is standing in front of the classroom chalkboard that Henry Sr is writing on in the very first episode! I guess THIS was the Old Indy costume test. Note too that he's holding an early version of his cane, without the familiar eagle head.
Nice obseravtions on the details, ATM!:hat: Yes, the cane is different and the blackboard is definitely Henry Sr.'s in Princeton. The desk in front even has some of the same props. You can see the swords are arranged differently. (In the middle image I posted above, not only did someone add the Grail to the blackboard but a whip and fedora, as well.)

Just what I was looking for. Thanks a million times over, ATMachine!:cool:(y):hat:

ATMachine

You're very welcome, Stoo! I sort of dropped off these boards when the acrimony turned up to 11 in the wake of Crystal Skull coming out. However, I stopped by recently and saw you hunting for that photo, and I knew I'd saved it from somewhere, once, back in the day.

A quick Googling led me to find the remains of the now-defunct site I downloaded it from, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

Here's a shot of Henry writing on the very same blackboard in 1908:
yij_henryboard.png

ATMachine

On second thought--it seems Old Indy ISN'T holding his cane in that image. (The tip of the stick is resting on the table, if you look carefully.) Instead, he's grasping the blackboard pointer Henry Sr is using in the shot I posted above. It has gold-tipped ends in both images, if you look carefully.

Stoo

ATMachine said:
A quick Googling led me to find the remains of the now-defunct site I downloaded it from, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.
I know that site and it was great at the time. Thanks for re-posting the link, ATM.
ATMachine said:
Here's a shot of Henry writing on the very same blackboard in 1908:
What is funny is that a similar photo was posted recently in another thread: Henry's book tour.

The cane Old Indy has in this publicity shot seems to be the pointer that Henry Sr. has at the blackboard!:eek:

P.S. Just read your latest post...and we've noticed the same thing. Ha ha.

ATMachine

I do remember seeing that thread a few days ago, including that particular image, now that you mention it--it must have been stuck in my mind when I dug out the picture of Old Indy.