Spreaken sui deutsche?

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Nope, they were never translated in English. :(
It?s a shame? ?cause they were the best, in my opinion.

Junior Jones

I would love to have English translations of these.

I bought the first two from amazon.de and sat down with a German/English dictionary to translate them. I got through the prologue to the first book and gave up after that.

I used to think that someday I was going to learn German (not just to read these books), but the older I get, the less likely it seems.

Finn

Staff member
You know, I could rant about the grammar on the title, but I'll think I'll just let Jay do it.

IAdventurer01

Finn said:
You know, I could rant about the grammar on the title, but I'll think I'll just let Jay do it.
Yeah, I could too . . . but I'd rather Jay have a field day on this.

Anyway. No they have not translated them, unfortunately. I have not read those novels. I've heard very good things about them. If I ever get one, I'd probably be able to read it over the course of several years. :p

Johan

Don't I recall someone on the raven working on the traslations to all the books? I don't remember who it was.

BrodyIsDead

IAdventurer01 said:

Yeah, I could too . . . but I'd rather Jay have a field day on this.

Come on, guys, I'm still waiting to be condescended to about my grammar... or lack of it... (I'm a non-German speaker, OK?!) :p

ElodieJones

I learnt German at school.
But I really hate that language, so I forget many things...:(
I have buy one novel of this collection, I try to read it, but it's difficult.
I really hope they will translate those books in English!

Finn

Staff member
indifan101 said:
Deutsch zu sprechen, ist nicht dass hart wenn Ihr ein schneller Anfänger.
Oder dann ist man, gerecht mit Babelfish als das dennoch war auch nicht vollständig korrekt.

BrodyIsDead

"Deutsch zu sprechen, ist nicht dass hart wenn Ihr ein schneller Anfänger."

"Oder dann ist man, gerecht mit Babelfish"

Er, translation guys? Remember, (CHUCKLES) I don't speak German...

:confused:

IAdventurer01

BrodyIsDead said:
"Deutsch zu sprechen, ist nicht dass hart wenn Ihr ein schneller Anfänger."

"Oder dann ist man, gerecht mit Babelfish"

Er, translation guys? Remember, (CHUCKLES) I don't speak German...

:confused:

I'll try, I guess.

1. It is not that hard to speak German when you are a fast learner.
2. Or if one just uses Babelfish.

NOTE: NOT DIRECTILY TRANSLATED. POOR ATTEMPT AT GISTING. ;)

IAdventurer01

indifan101 said:
Or then one is was, just with Babelfish as that nevertheless also not completely correct.

My guess is that you just proved his point. If you just use Babelfish, it is not always correct. :p

Urmel

Hi everbody,

first of all the title should have been "Sprechen Sie deutsch?" instead of "Spreaken sui deutsche?"

indifan101 said:
Deutsch zu sprechen, ist nicht dass hart wenn Ihr ein schneller Anfänger. :rolleyes:

That are two possibilities how i would write it.
"Deutsch zu sprechen ist nicht so schwer, wenn Ihr eine schnelle Auffassungsgabe habt" or "Deutsch zu sprechen ist nicht so schwer, wenn ihr sprachbegabt seid"
The first one means:
"It is not that hard to speak german when you have a good comprehension."
The second one means:
"It is not that hard to speak german when you are good at languages"
IAdventurer01 said:
I'll try, I guess.

1. It is not that hard to speak German when you are a fast learner.
2. Or if one just uses Babelfish.

NOTE: NOT DIRECTILY TRANSLATED. POOR ATTEMPT AT GISTING. ;)

@IAdventurer01:
Thats right, you have translated it into correct english, even though the german expression is not as you would speak or write it.

IAdventurer01 said:
My guess is that you just proved his point. If you just use Babelfish, it is not always correct. :p
At the beginning i did not know what you all mean with the word "Babelfish" until i found out that it is a translation tool. :D
Sometimes the translation from english to german is too bad that it does not make sense.

It was quite amusing to read all the posts and the attempt of writing correct german. In a year or so, i will have teached you the correct grammar ;)
(Sorry when my english is not so right as it could be)

IndyJohan said:
Don't I recall someone on the raven working on the traslations to all the books? I don't remember who it was.

Yes, that's right. Ayrun and me tried to translate a novel by Wolfgang Hohlbein. But it was too time-consuming translating and keeping the mood of the writer in our spare time. So we canceled the work. But you can ask Ayrun who translated a whole chapter which was excellent in my oppinion.

Finn

Staff member
Hmm. It took whole nine months to solve that question. Prominent.

I see no notions made on my German however. Am I to presume it was at least semi-correct?

After all, it is my weakest language, surpassed even by my Latin...