Shia: We botched the last Indiana Jones film

Pale Horse

Staff member
I just read on the AP wire that the snake in the quicksand pit apologized for not being more like the shark in JAWS.

Something to the affect of "I wanted to capture that tense moment of that first scene, where the girl is jerked under the water...but Harrison was uncomfortable with something so think and coiled being against his thighs. He wanted everyone to see me in his hands. I knew it wasn't the best portrayal of suspense...but hey, I can rationalize it with the marketing rights paycheck every night...."

Indy's brother

I would love it if Steven would respond to this in the press, it would provide a perfect opportunity to hear something about Indy 5. But I think Mr. Spielberg has enough tact to let it go.

Dene

I could be wrong, and maybe there is no more to this than face value but I reckon Steven Spielberg must have 'okayed' this.

No one would be daft enough to come out and say those things otherwise (well, in my opinion) -- even if Shia is certainly not actually badmouthing anyone.

Very interesting. I would take this to mean that Spielberg is definitely unhappy with Indy 4, and may well say so next time he gives a major interview. He's been honest enough in the past about earlier movies he thinks haven't worked.

I'm in the "Crystal Skull was okay" camp btw, but it wasn't the equal of the others.

Actually, one major fault I think was that the conception of Mutt was flawed -- I just do not believe in that character's relationship with Oxley, and wonder if it was a hangover from the original notion of the character as being a nerd.

JP Jones

You know what's really making me mad about this whole thing. The fact that Shia used to defend the movie, and now he's like "O.K. O.K. We botched it now we all know it's bad." He should defend the film with all he's got because I know he thinks it's good.

Goonie

I didn't mind Shia at all in the movie. My gripes were mainly the execution of the jungle chase scene (including tarzan) and John Williams' lazy score in this scene. What a waste of a jungle cutter. If Indy V becomes reality, I hope they go back to doing practical effects and using cgi only when necessary cgi groundhogs and monkies just to make a funny? Please no. But the scorpions worked ok in the cemetary scene. Even the nuke the fridge scene could've been done entirely with miniatures. I mean, they did an entire village that they blew up so why not use a model fridge? Also, the cgi vehicles landing in the ants' nest didn't look right - could've been done with real vehicles and some sort of rig. Let's face it, GL and SS cheaped out on us in this one.

UIMJ

Indy1970 said:
Greetings,

My two cents:

Shia - is pandering to sell a new movie.
If you thought the movie stunk and you are such a brave guy - why did you promote it with such vigor.
Saying this a year or more later while selling another movie is pretty classless.

What happens if and when Wall Street 2 is not met with overhwhelming consesus on its greatness and or positive reviews?

Will you say Oliver Stone dropped the ball and that you and Michael Douglas has discussed this?
Please...next time you write the script and direct the movie.

Wall Street isn't necessarily a time honored franchise with a cross temporal and cross demographic fan base. I don't see Shia's comments as pandering to sell a new movie as much as "hindsight is 20/20".

tambourineman

Crystal Skull negativity is just reaching ridiculous levels now. Yes, the film had problems. Yes, some things should definitely been done differently and no, its not as good as the others. But in its own right it was a huge hit movie that was mostly well received by critics and the public obviously enjoyed it enough to make it a huge DVD seller. At its worst its an average summer popcorn flick. People are acting like its the worst movies ever made. Looking at Shia's resume, its one of his few decent films. Same goes for Harrison in the last decade.

Joe Brody

Indiana Jones used to be the gold standard in action adventure. It's sad that apologist at best can only defend KotCS as an average summer film.

avidfilmbuff

Joe Brody said:
Indiana Jones used to be the gold standard in action adventure. It's sad that apologist at best can only defend KotCS as an average summer film.

Well for me personally, the entire series as a whole is a masterpiece for its wonderfully exaggerated tribute to the many forms of the escapist entertainment of the past. I felt that making Crystal Skull a tribute to 50's pulp was a great way to continue the series, and I wonder where the series will go to next, if the fifth film is ever made.

tambourineman

Joe Brody said:
And I find it sad to refer to someone as an "apologist" for liking a film. I make no apologies for enjoying a movie. Nor do I "defend" it. Why would I, I didnt make it and I dont own it. I simply view it and appraise it. And I dont think it was an average summer film. I think it was a great summer film. I said at worst its an average summer film, meaning that theres nothing quantifiable in the film itself or from its reception from critics and the public that could possibly mark it as anything less than that. Yes, we expect more from an Indiana Jones movie than what we got. But personally I think it still stands head and shoulders above the majority of movies released in the summers since. Theres only been a handful Ive enjoyed more. If Shia wants to bag out movies he's been in, Transformers 2 is a far better place to begin than Indy.

Darth Vile

tambourineman said:
And I find it sad to refer to someone as an "apologist" for liking a film. I make no apologies for enjoying a movie. Nor do I "defend" it. Why would I, I didnt make it and I dont own it. I simply view it and appraise it. And I dont think it was an average summer film. I think it was a great summer film. I said at worst its an average summer film, meaning that theres nothing quantifiable in the film itself or from its reception from critics and the public that could possibly mark it as anything less than that. Yes, we expect more from an Indiana Jones movie than what we got. But personally I think it still stands head and shoulders above the majority of movies released in the summers since. Theres only been a handful Ive enjoyed more. If Shia wants to bag out movies he's been in, Transformers 2 is a far better place to begin than Indy.

I'd ignore the guy above, anyone who thinks that to like a movie amounts to simply being an 'apologist' is a dick.

Also, I'd agree... If Shia wants to talk about movies that 'drop the ball', he needs to look at the Transformers movie, which never warranted a sequel in the first place, and are pretty much without any merit. Makes you wonder how much s*it Shia got for the monkey swing i.e. sounds more like peer pressure.

Agent Z

You know, this just doesn't sit right with me. If Shia just came out and said his piece on why he feels he dropped the ball, that is one thing...but he goes and drops Harrison's name too....so now Harrison is going to be faced with that round of questions, along with Steven.

It's just unprofessional. Shia should just let the film speak for itself, and not drag others into it.

Now, back to the vine swinging...

As mentioned before, I am of the belief that you can sell the most ridiculous concept with the right approach. The vine sequence in Kingdom could have been pure adrenaline. Imagine a first person perspective, practical, with the speed and rush of being that high off the ground and the elements racing past you with each swing. I really believe they could have made the vine swinging as exciting and as white-knuckled as the speeder bike chase in Jedi.

I don't blame Shia for not selling that scene. I blame the lack of creativity in the execution.

Last edited:

Hanselation

On the one hand it was very satisfying to read that Shia said that KotCS wasn't as good as it has to be, but...
at least the kind of how he said that was very unprofessional.

It's good to know, the makers know that they could have make it better ( so let's hope they'll do )
For me Shia bites the hand that feed him. While promoting Transformers 2 in 2009 he told us, Steven Spielberg told him they 've cracked a story for Indy 5. Now, by promoting Wall Street 2 he uses negative critics about KotCS to get attention for another film he is involved.

So it seems, that Indy is for him just a great draft horse for getting attention.

Very cheap scam, Shia! (n)

Indy's brother said:
I would love it if Steven would respond to this in the press, it would provide a perfect opportunity to hear something about Indy 5. But I think Mr. Spielberg has enough tact to let it go.

I don't think it's a matter of tact. In the case Spielberg refused to reply, I think it would more probably mean that he agrees with Shia. Plain and simple.

Don't forget that, after all, he was the one who personally apologized to the fans for "Temple of Doom". And everyone who does have a minimum sense of taste knows perfectly that "Temple of Doom" is at least 10 times better than "Kingdom" under ANY aspect.

I don't sincerely believe that Spielberg is particularly proud of the fourth Indy film. Same goes for Harrison, and now Shia. It's pretty clear to me that they only did it because they enjoyed working together, and they sort of wanted to do Lucas a favour.

At least now they seem to be inclined to admit it.

The Stranger said:
It's pretty clear to me that they only did it because they enjoyed working together, and they sort of wanted to do Lucas a favour.
I was with you up until that part...

The Stranger said:
"Temple of Doom" is at least 10 times better than "Kingdom" under ANY aspect..
Well maybe not this part either...

Dene

The big question now is, will they think it best to leave well alone, or try to make amends?

Will Harrison Ford say anything at tomorrow's Empire Strikes Back Q&A..? Meh, probably not.