Anyone else feel like YIJ makes up for KOTCS?

Watching Young Indy for the first time makes up for KOTCS

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I liked KOTCS!

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters

BadDates

First up, I'm sorry if anyone (especially mods!) thinks that this should have been appended to another thread rather than being the subject of a new one. I searched through a lot of YIJ threads here but didn't really find anything appropriate. If I've messed up then I apologise in advance. I've never started a thread before so this is quite a big deal for me :)

I'm currently working my way through the YIJ vol 1. box set, both episodes and documentaries and I'm absolutely loving it! KOTCS had left something of a sour taste in my mouth and while nothing could ever tarnish the original movies for me, I have to confess that my enthusiasm for the Indy universe had been somewhat diminished since last May. Therefore it's with the greatest pleasure that I'm discovering the charm, vitality and attention to detail of YIJ and, with respect to this DVD release, I'm thoroughly enjoying the documentaries too. Next time someone tells me that KOTCS was a disappointment, I'm going to recommend Young Indy! (y)

Flannery10

I did like KotCS. But I don't think you can compare the Indiana Jones movies with the Young Indy series. I am a true fan:p of both, and I always thought that Young Indy was completely underappreciated. So, even though I think Young Indiana Jones is great, I don't think that it actually makes, or even could make, up for KotCS. Too many differences.

Crack that whip

While not completely blind to a couple of its shortcomings I do very much enjoy Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but I do also have to say I think The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones really is the greatest Indy production since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, at least. It's more daring, ambitious and challenging than any of the movies, and a greater artistic gamble, one I find immensely rewarding. Especially in light of George Lucas' not entirely unearned reputation for just cranking out obscenely profitable and undemanding escapist entertainment, and not deviating from his long-established template for action-adventure-fantasy myth, this TV series is quite a revelation. Here is a show that does take his massively popular character, yes, but does something very different with him from what the movies do, in defiance of audience expectations, yet does it in a way that's entirely complementary to the features, and even enhances them (IMO), while making the character a more compelling figure.

For me, as someone who had already experienced Young Indy prior to seeing KotCS for the first time, I think it went beyond "making up for" it - it actually helped me enjoy the movie more (despite the show and the movie being so radically different in their styles and approaches). Not only did I see the movie as a piece in the larger narrative arc of the character's life, but the fact the movie specifically and in some detail references events seen in the show is, for me, one of the best things about the movie, and hence one reason I enjoy it.
:)

BadDates

Crack that whip said:
I think The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones really is the greatest Indy production since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, at least.

Thanks very much for your comments. I still have plenty of YIJ episodes to watch (which I'm so glad about!) but I've already come to that same conclusion!

Crack that whip said:
For me, as someone who had already experienced Young Indy prior to seeing KotCS for the first time...

I guess that actually that's inevitably going to be the case for most people here so in hindsight I should probably have come at this purely from a 'wide eyed noob' angle (as that's what I am in YIJ terms, despite knowing the OT back to front). I just couldn't help shoehorning in my additional relief at having my Indy fandom well and truly fired up again after my own disappointment at KOTCS. (BTW I stress that I'm not in any way trying to criticise the film here [there are way more than enough threads on that subject!], I'm merely defining a personal baseline.)

Stoo

BadDates said:
I guess that actually that's inevitably going to be the case for most people here so in hindsight I should probably have come at this purely from a 'wide eyed noob' angle (as that's what I am in YIJ terms, despite knowing the OT back to front).
No, my friend, it's the complete opposite.:p Many posters here were too young (or, in some cases, not even born) when YIJC aired. Glad you are discovering the beauty of Young Indy. As for your original question, I can't answer it/vote because the situation doesn't apply. I'll just agree with Flannery and Crack instead.;)

On a side note: I love when Crack that whip writes about the "Chronicles". Much more passion and sophistication that I could ever muster.:hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Just like a couple of the other posters here, I am unable to vote because I had seen most of the YIJC episodes before KOTCS.

What I will say is that YIJC and KOTCS are essentially two different creatures, they can't been compared really.

However I will say, the more I watch the YIJC, the more I realise how wonderful a job cast and crew did overall. When I turned on the subtitles recently, I tried to imagine a younger Ford's voice saying SPF's lines and they actually fit with the films. My appreciation for the series just continues to grow as I've gotten older.

However, you will never get me to love second half of Espionage Escapades!:eek: It is seriously annoying and reminds me too much of my time at film school with all the bureaucracy. :rolleyes:

vf wing

The show enhanced the film for me, as I'm also a fan of both. Like you, I only came to the show more recently, but it was more due to wanting to deepen/sustain my interest in the franchise.

indyclone25

i loved the kotcs and the young indy series was , i think a very great show , i think that when i watch the show from when i taped them in the 90's til i rewatched them in the dvd sets ,i never lost that unique feeling that the series had with the storytelling and the special effects used to make you believe that it was in the time period . my son watches the show and the documentries and is engroseed by it all --- i'm glad that he learns about the people in the stories and hopefully when the schools reach that point of learning he will be ahead of the game .so i say hats off to george lucas for making a compelling and adventurous hero for all ages .

Dayne

I love the adventures of young Indy and especially love all the extra documentary material left as extras! Great learning device for young people, though I will say I kinda keep it separate from the films. The show is a lot of fun to watch, but there are far too many stretches and visual mistakes to accept into the true series. Plus it's a bit too cheesy as well. That said I still watch the DVDs on occasion when I'm in a historical mood! :D

Indy's Fist

I loved KOTCS! I also love the Young Indy Adventures. I will say that back in the days that Young Indy was on TV I was a bit annoyed by the lack of action/adventure. But I don't need one to like the other they are what they are and that's that.