The Funeral of Indiana Jones

Patrick

What do you guy's think of there being fictional enemies that are not included in like history? Like I don't know, nazis in the '50s? I'm not sure what that would do to the Indiana Jones series. I'm not even sure if it would make a good comic book.

bob

I find it very hard to believe after much consideration that anything particularly dark will happen in Indy IV to be honest....

As I think that big three are just interested in making a last hurrah for the greatest popcorn flicks in history personally

FAN

Do you think that the faked funeral would be dark?
That's strange, I thought it would be funy. FAN

Canyon

I've just had a few more ideas for this type of scene and thought I would share them with you.

It is 1953. The world has changed a great deal since the 1930's and Professor Indiana Jones is still teaching at university. Marcus Brody is either deceased :( or ill in hospital and Indy realises that things are not the same as they once were. Lately, adventures have been getting more and more tiring and have led to exhaustion and a more than a few frustrations. Indy is at the stage of his life where he thinks no-one cares and thinks he's doing the world a favour and leaves without telling anyone. People begin to wonder where he is and some hear rumours that he has faked his own death! :eek: Of course, Indy is unaware of these rumours.

He goes away somewhere and plans to live on a quiet island abroad. But peace and quite are boring companions for Indy's adventurous soul (thanks to Infernal Machine for the wording!) and soon he gets caught up in an adventure of some kind, perhaps through helping an old friend or girlfriend. After the adventure, his friend tells him that reports of his death have spread throughout the world and they tell him that he must return home.

When Indy reaches New York, he is unable to find anyone and searches everywhere until he comes across a church and can hear organ music playing. Slowly, he approaches the church and peeks inside. He gasps. Inside are loads of people, and each one of them he recognises as being friends, colleagues, students and old girlfriends. Sallah, Jock, and his father, Professor Henry Jones Sr are also there. The ceremony is about to start and he also spots a great big picture of him up by the alter. Indy wants to enter the church, but can't quite find the strength, so he waits a few moments. He is just about to go into the church when he sees someone coming out. It is Henry Sr and he has had to go outside as things were getting too emotional. He turns around and he cannot believe his eyes. Indy, his son is alive!

Henry stared in disbelief at his son and he threw his arms around him.

"Indiana! My boy! You're alive!!"
"Dad!"
Henry pulled away.
"Son. I can't believe it. You're here. But where have you been all this time? I was devastated when I thought that you were dead. You have no idea. I thought..."
His voice trailed off.
"Well. None of that matters now. What matters is you're here and..."
"Dad. It's great to see you, really it is. No-one must know that I'm alive."
"What do you mean by that?" Henry is exasperated.
"Dad, these people. They think I'm dead. I think it's best I just leave it that way."
"But son..."
"Listen dad, I gotta go. I'll keep in touch, I just don't want anyone else to know that I'm alive."
Henry throws open the door.
"Henry Jones Jr.", he shouts.
The music stops playing and everyone in the church turns round and gasps.
Indy stops in his tracks, sighs and rolls his eyes.
"Dad, I..."
Short Round, Sallah, Marion and Willie run up to Indy and throw their arms around him.
"Jones, don't you ever do that to us again, ya hear!" yells Marion.
"Indy", wails Willie.
"Indy! my friend!" says Sallah. "I'm so pleased you're not dead!"

Everyone is in disbelief and some cry tears of happiness. Henry and friends cajole Indy to the altar and Henry asks Indy to sit. Henry stands in front of the podium and speaks to the waiting crowd.

"Well friends, as you can see. My son, Professor Henry Jones Jr is very much alive and well."
Several cheers can be heard.
"Today, I was going to stand here to say great things about my son. Well, you will be glad to hear that I'll still be doing that, and I would just like to say that I am extremely relieved and pleased that he is among the living."
Indy rolls his eyes and Henry goes on to say that Indy is a great man and scholar and that he regrets not spending enough time with his son. He also goes on to say that Indy has worked extremely hard as an archaeologist and unbeknowst to everyone, Indy is not only an archaeologist and an adventurer, but he has been fighting against evil for many years. Some of the people in the crowd look suprised, others have always believed the rumours about Indy's adventures and are not surprised in the slightest.

Many of Indy's friends persuade Indy to say a few words so he goes up to the podium, and looks over at the waiting crowd, where some people are still crying their eyes out.

"I've found myself in many situations over the years, but this one is a unlike anything I've ever encountered before. It's not every day you speak at you're own funeral." The crowd murmurs with some laughter.
"Firstly, despite the rumours, I did not fake my own death. I simply got to a stage where I felt that I had done everything I could as an archaeologist and I felt that it was time to leave."

Indy looks over to the side of the church hall and sees a glass case, where his leather jacket, fedora, bullwhip, weapons and MKvii bag are all displayed. He smiles.

"I just wanted to..."

Just then, a great bang can be heard from the back of the church and everyone turns around and stares. The doors burst open and an old enemy of Indy's enters as everyone gasps. The man is followed by some henchmen and he goes on to say that he is out for revenge for something that happened several years ago. Everyone gets down on the floor. Our hero is unarmed so he runs over to the glass case and smashes it with a book. He grabs the bullwhip and just as the bad guy is about to fire, Indy disarms him with the whip. Indy smiles, glad that he can still use the whip, but the bad guy is terrified and runs out with his men and slowly everyone rises from their hiding places.

A student goes up to Indy and gasps.

"So all the stories about you are true?" he asks.
Indy nods slowly. "Yeah. Well, most of them."
Sallah bounds up to Indy and grins. He throws his arms around Indy, pulling him into a great bear hug.
"Indy! I am very glad that you are alive! Just wait until I tell Fayah. She will be so pleased! But what were you thinking by leaving? You did not tell your father, did not tell me. I do not understand."
Everyone begins to leave the church, and as they do, various people go up to Indy to say that they are pleased that he is alive.
Outside the church, Indy and Sallah sit down.
"Sallah. I really miss the adventures that I used to have years ago. Do you rememember when we were searching for the Ark of the Covenant. It was hard work and frustrating when the government took it away. But despite that, I really enjoyed it. I got back together with Marion, and it was one of the greatest adventures of my life."
"Glad to see that I haven't been forgotten about, Jones", says a familar voice.
"Marion", says Indy and gets up from his seat. "I..."
It is clear that these two still have feelings for each other.
Sallah smiled.
"Please exuse me, Indy, Marion." Sallah leaves Indy and Marion alone.
"Marion, I..."
"Oh Indy. Do you have any idea how worried I was!"
Indy tries to speak but cannot get a word in.
"You don't call me or write or anything. What is it with you Jones! You haven't changed a bit have you! You're still the same stubborn man I knew all those years ago, but then again", she says, her voice getting softer, "that's probably why I love you so much."
Marion, um..."
"Yes?"
"I have to tell you..."
Indy's eyes meet Marion's.
"I love you."
Then they kiss.

<big>~The End~</big>

Forgive me for my lengthy post - I have no idea where all of this stuff just came from! :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I read it...some interesting stuff. I don't quite agree with it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good.

You know, it might be interesting to have it like in my Lawrence of Arabia spoof, with Indy forgotten until he dies, but how about ending his life, and beginning his death, as a pauper? Say something happened to him and he ends up buried in a field in France or something (something reminiscent of the World Wars, particularly the First), and nobody really remembers him. He just dies, and is largely forgotten. Why not? It's different, certainly...even if the man himself is cast off and forgotten (the Searchers), once he dies, it's usually a big deal (Lawrence, Citizen Kane). Indy dies a shadow of the past...how about it?

Canyon

Thanks for your kind comments ;)

Attila, I was wondering. Do you wish to see Indy get killed off and be forgotten about *sob* or do you want to see him die and be remembered as a hero?

I personally think it would be terrible if Indy were killed off. :eek: I think it would really affect the way in which we see the trilogy and it may put the films in a different light. Imagine, whilst watching the films and thinking to yourself: "Okay, he's really doing some great things here, but when he reaches his 50's, he is going to die." That's a really horrible thought...

I sincerely don't think that Harrison, Steven or George are going to want to go down that path anyway, and I think the audience would not be too happy with the thought of their hero dying.

Believe it or not, I do understand why some people want to see Indy as either an alcoholic or have Indy 4 with a dark theme running through it. They feel that it would give the film some depth. I am not entirely against darkness, but I can't help but feel that this film is going to be more in the vein of the humour in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade.

At the end of the day, I feel that if they kill Indy off, most of us are going to leave the theatre feeling as if some great injustice has been done. I think it would be a really bad idea, as firstly, Indy is the worlds greatest action hero, secondly, he just has to be the best character out there, and lastly, after all the work and fighting that Indy has done, I think that killing him off would be pointless.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Canyon said:
Attila, I was wondering. Do you wish to see Indy get killed off and be forgotten about *sob* or do you want to see him die and be remembered as a hero?

Nice post there.

What do I want? Probably some combination...I doubt he would be forgotten all that much. There might be some editorials at his passing, particularly in his own particular worlds, but he's not likely to be remembered as a hero (much of what he has done is probably either classified or not something that people are going to believe).

You see, what troubles me about the funeral idea is everyone remembering him...it sounds terrible cliched, but that's probably because all the characters start to take on one certain character trait when being discussed for this so long.

And then if he doesn't die, and just faked it or something, then we have the whole Dallas dynamic, with J.R. returning.

Canyon

Aarrghh! The Raven down for a few days. What a nightmare. :mad:

I knew I posted some other comments here, but can't think what.

Ah yes, Indygirl21 said that she would hate to see Indy die in Indy 4 and I wholeheartedly agreed with her. We both said that we would be devastated if Indy died and not just because he is a wonderful character... :D

Rendering Fisk then went to say something along the lines of "Don't worry. If Jones dies, you've still got me", and I replied that we were very lucy and this:

Render_spring.gif
was a pretty cool Raiders pose! :D

I KNOW that there are some other comments and stuff but I just can't remember what else was said right now. ;)

00Kevin

Indyfan
and I congratulated ren on a great joke and added

'me too'

and if you want my picture, join west's raven community