Indy 5 visual wish list

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to the Indy 5 wish list, but less structured. Why wait for ILM?

2070168835_36274c2749_o.jpg

Too bad this was done in Terminal Velocity...
40_pics.jpg

2070169773_1002cc6a52_o.jpg

Propeller slices, though a little cartoonish.
2063602877_654f8976ed.jpg

If this was an intentional emergency landing...
421716914_346a0e65dc.jpg

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know, Mummy 2.
03_london.jpg

Urban jungle cutter.
manhole-cover-flies-up-into-a-truck1.jpg

What would Henry Sr. do?
03_pushka.jpg

"Marcus, Vogel's hobbling away!"
463781608_ba05325116.jpg

I didn't set out to prove Indy physics, but...
1057777946_96d7c17e32_o.jpg

...perhaps the films aren't so cartoony after all?
506520381_2ad2ca9184.jpg

I want to see some creative WWII wrecks.
1033.jpg

Red line to: the Aral Sea.
971689509_687537ad69.jpg

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This comes out of Ben Burtt's paycheck.
1118189333_4b738f2836_o.jpg

Testing THX Surround...
421718580_dc6bf92532.jpg

...against an independent variable.
499231201_99dd80292d.jpg

"Stop the plane, Jock!"
392590047_3177331c46_o.jpg

Okay, back to the sequel. The hubris of a load shifting forward. Happened to me once, I ducked.
1044135073_f0290edcbe.jpg

No disrespect to the natives, but I've always wanted to see a car chase plow through a neighborhood.
619310835_4769c800b1.jpg

Cliché, but it could serve the story.
391874774_c8765cd430.jpg

I believe Saucer Men buried trucks in the desert...
d2c5f0139920ad55906ed2128707ededa4f55b9a_m.jpg

Car chase on ice... yes please.
68_pics.jpg

Think I'll stop here.
1036175394036120239S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Goonie

Moedred said:
Red line to: the Aral Sea.
971689509_687537ad69.jpg

Ship in a desert, already done: Sahara & PotC: At World's End

Moedred said:
Car chase on ice... yes please.

Car chase on ice, already done: The Living Daylights (James Bond #15)

:hat:

They got to come up with something new for Indy.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Tanks and jet engines have been done, but not combined! "Russian mine-sweep tank with a jet engine from the aircraft. Blew the soil to open mines. It was tested (successfully) in Afghanistan."
czym_on_strzela.jpg

"Hey barkeep, this is great, what's in it?"
rt67u5yy65.jpg

Snake liquors from South East Asia are also considered cures for a variety of ailments, including impotence, back and muscle pain and hair loss. These drinks usually contain highly poisonous snakes, such as cobras.

kongisking

Moedred said:
Tanks and jet engines have been done, but not combined! "Russian mine-sweep tank with a jet engine from the aircraft. Blew the soil to open mines. It was tested (successfully) in Afghanistan."
czym_on_strzela.jpg

"Hey barkeep, this is great, what's in it?"
rt67u5yy65.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if Indy got poisoned at one point, and this stuff was the only antidote? Oh, the delicious irony!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Wouldn't it be great if Indy got poisoned at one point, and this stuff was the only antidote? Oh, the delicious irony!

You have a really evil streak, kong! I never noticed it before! :p

But you have reminded me of something that Indy should face:

king_kong_ver3.jpg

Indy vs. Kong. Two of the finest anti-heroes ever to grace the big screen.

EddyW

In terms of visual wishlist I'd also like to throw this in the mix, no more Kaminski washout look please:

indy4color6nv4.jpg

indy4color4no9.jpg

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
You have a really evil streak, kong! I never noticed it before! :p

But you have reminded me of something that Indy should face:

king_kong_ver3.jpg

Indy vs. Kong. Two of the finest anti-heroes ever to grace the big screen.

I think I just crapped myself with joy. TMI?

EddyW said:
In terms of visual wishlist I'd also like to throw this in the mix, no more Kaminski washout look please:

indy4color6nv4.jpg

indy4color4no9.jpg

These look superb! I used to think Kaminski's touch was barely noticable throughout most of the film, but this proves me wrong! What an improvement!

Dr. Gonzo

EddyW said:

indy4color6nv4.jpg

indy4color4no9.jpg

So basically you want to replace the color timer Terry Haggar with someone else?

What you're taking about has more to do with Color Grading than has anything to do with Kaminski.

EddyW

Well, as far as I know he was director of photography right? I don't believe the guy who did the color correction did so on his own initiative. Anyhow, I'm not interested in discussing who did what, if it wasn't Kaminski's direction then I was wrong to tag his name on it, I just wanted to point out that I didn't really like the over futtzled look of most of the shots in KOTCS. Next time I think they should keep it more simple.

Goonie

EddyW said:
indy4color4no9.jpg

Wow! Does that look better!(y) Definitely no Kaminski for Indy V.(n) His lighting was one of the things high on my list that ruined Indy 4.

Dr. Gonzo

EddyW said:
Well, as far as I know he was director of photography right? I don't believe the guy who did the color correction did so on his own initiative. Anyhow, I'm not interested in discussing who did what, if it wasn't Kaminski's direction then I was wrong to tag his name on it, I just wanted to point out that I didn't really like the over futtzled look of most of the shots in KOTCS. Next time I think they should keep it more simple.

I wasn't really a huge fan of his lighting either...
but what I'm saying is your changed picture is still Kaminski's lighting. Still the same f-stops, and shutter speeds that were shot on that day in Hawaii, you just color timed it differently. I am friends with a color timer at Technicolor. The director, director of photography and the color timer sit down and color time the whole film together, so if we are gonna throw blame we might as well throw Steve Spielberg in their too because it takes all of them to approve it. Sorry if I got all technical. It's kind of in my field.

I do agree that the lighting choices were odd. And what we saw on screen was quite weird. Kaminski was dragged out of his comfort zone but some how still managed to (quite a few times) add his overblown lighting scheme.
Too bad Slocombe retired... he is quite old though.

I'd like to see another D.P. step in, but the question is, who?

EddyW

Hey Doctor, no need to say sorry, I see what you mean. And yeah, Spielberg must have okayed it somewhere down the line too of course. I wouldn't really know people who could replace him though, it's kind of common practice in todays cinema to colorgrade the hell out of everything. There were parts in the Avatar Airbender trailer that reminded me a bit of Indy cinematography, but that's mostly shots with brownish temple ruins or skulls laying on the ground, so that'll probably explain why I link it to Indy. Some of the non-effects shots look kind of ok in that trailer too, but as soon as there's particles flowing around or other CG stuff it's instantly more of the same. I'll see if I can think of somebody else... Oh, by the way, these shots aren't mine, I saw them on some fan-edit site.

Indy's brother

EddyW said:
In terms of visual wishlist I'd also like to throw this in the mix, no more Kaminski washout look please

That would be nice, but the look of KOTCS didn't really bug me too much. To me it gave the film a kind of dream-like quality, and the bright colors seemed appropriate for the era of film they were trying to emulate. Of course that is my completely amateur, non-educated opinion. If the story and humor goes back to the original quality of ROTLA, they can do the color correction/cinemtography/lighting the same way as KOTCS and I won't complain.

Of course, it's easy for me to forgive with bluray on an hd flatscreen. I've tried to watch it on dvd on my old projection tv and it's pretty murky....

Anyway, it's been mentioned elswhere, but I think it's applicable here, I want Russian Aerosleds!!!

200858204351_60.jpg

200858204509_60.jpg

200858204624_60.jpg

200858205840_60.jpg

Indy's brother

Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but I thought I'd put it here. Every film has Indy physically jumping from one mode of transport to another.

ROTLA:
302.jpg

TOD:
119.jpg

LC (twice):
020.jpg

322.jpg

KOTCS:
indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-20080320053951265.jpg

What should the next jump be? Going over the top to exceed the action in previous installments should be done in ways like this I think. How about jumping from an aerosled (which then goes off a cliff) to the wing of a plane for a cool wing-walking sequence/fight?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
And don't forget this one...

In City of the Gods Indy made a biplane to biplane transfer and back, and a horse to truck transfer in the river through the windshield. I hope they reuse the biplane sequence, and add a snowmobile to aerosled transfer.

Major Eaton

That looks like a combination between Skeletor and Himmler. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Indy V. :D

Last edited: