The Evil Dead Trilogy-Groovy.

swords

I think of this trilogy as the horror version of Indiana Jones.:cool:

Ash, short for Ashley, is our hero. He's a cross between Indy and the Lion in the 'Wizard of Oz'. And just like the Lion in 'Oz', he gets his bravery at the end of the first Evil Dead, so to speak.

The first movie is more horrific than the two sequels. Five friends, Ash, his girlfriend, his sister, his friend and his friend's girlfriend are staying up in a lodge in the mountains, Ash finds the book of the dead, a tape player, and on the tape is a professor who cites passages from the book, and eventually the dead rewakes and carnage and mayhem follow.

Ashe's sister gets raped by a tree.;)

The rest of the students, except Ash, are posessed by demons.

The first Evil Dead terrified me when I first watched it, and because of this its my favorite. The blood, guts and gore are over the top, the violence is brutal, especially a scene where a pencil is pierced through a ancle. You can tell its fake, but it still looks painful and unwatchable.

The second Evil Dead is horror mixed in with humour, dark dark humour. The taughting scene, where books, an deer trophy, and a grandfather clock are menacingly laughing at Ash, who, laughs back is gut wrenching. Ash is more insane in this one, and his "groovy" line is very catchy and out of place which makes it even more humourous.

Army of Darkness-I find this one to be the weakest of the trilogy since its more, err, comedy than horror. Theres some horror, but not on the scale of ED1 or even ED2. But its still enjoyable, Ash is heroic and cowardly at the same time, and his oneliners are more frequent, and theres more slapstick.

Theres a nice battle sequence at the end. Think of it as a comedy take on Helm's Deep from Lord of the Rings.

This is the horror thread, feel free to discuss anything...

swords

Very well, I also like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, the original Halloween, Zombie, Night of the Living Dead(remake), Evil Dead trilogy, theres many more which escape me, but I was hoping others would contribute so I can agree, disagree, etc.:D

Newer ones: M.Night Shylaman, all of his movies especially Signs, he's called the modern day Hitchcock, we'll see if thats true. I still have my reservations. He has a new movie coming out titled the Woods, which also involves supernatural elements and which will hopefully be as disturbing as his last three.

[Edited by swords on 06-09-2003 at 08:43 pm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gotta reply

I hate when you put passion into a thread and no one replies.

I haven't seen the ED series. I think I tried to get into it but found it a bit farcical. I also think that is the point but I am just not fond of to much suspension of disbelief.

In terms of horror, movies that truely scare me, or have recently would be something like "Devils Advocate". In that respect, "Sixth Sense" did have the realistic suspenseful elements to drive them forward, but are they truely horror? don't know.

EvilDevo

although hes no indy, ash is one of the 'grooviest' heroes out there... i love evil dead 2 the best, evil dead is too, hmmm i dont know, just not as entertaining as the second, and the third is too goofy. a good movie, nonetheless... but yeah, love the series and the game (looking forward to the new one) i also have a couple action figures from todd macfarlanes movie maniac series.

swords

two resonses, yeah!

The Evil Dead series requires taste I guess. Well At least its being awknowledged since this series is more cult status, infamous for its over the top gore and wild slapstick. But I appreciate the responses, I knew this series was at least regconized whether its popular or not, and not too mention Spiderman director Sam Riami was behind the helm.

The Devils Advocate has some truely horrifying moments, and theres a sense of apocalyptic dread to the film which I liked, and the revelation at the end is a great twist.

I was unfortunate enough to have Sixth Sense's ending spoiled for me, which may have biased my opinion, but I agree, it has some truly suspenseful moments.

[Edited by swords on 06-13-2003 at 09:30 am]

EvilDevo

if you liked sixth sense, 'stir of echoes' was quite a bit like it. if you havent already seen it, i suggest it... and i wont spoil the ending.

swords

Well Im more into gore, but I'll give it a look anyways if it has a Sixth Sense esque ending: Stir of Echoes

westford

Just wanted to say that Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick is out on PS2 (dunno about other consoles), and you get Evil Dead 2 on DVD with it...

swords

Cool...

Thats pretty cool, btw, is that you with Bruce Cambell? If so, then, well, You're one lucky person! Because I would have killed to see the guy, just to see what he's like!

I read that his persona isn't too far from the characters he plays, thats gotta be seen I think...

I would defintely have a drink with Bruce Cambell, if thats the case.:D

[Edited by swords on 06-16-2003 at 10:45 pm]

swords

Cambell, Campbell, you know what I mean.;)

I hope they(director and star) team up again for Evil Dead 4, or Army of Darkness 2 as it is also called. Who wouldn't want to see this?

Indyz Azn Gurl

Haha...if you met Bruce Campbell and told him that...
Your @$$ would be dead.
He said it so many times...
"THERE WILL BE NO EVIL DEAD 4 EVER!!"

swords

Hmm, shall I pardon the Dead pun for a second.;)

Yeah, Im just wishfully thinking, it would still be great news...

EvilDevo

never say never, both raimi and campbell have shown a little interest in it... so there might be a slight chance, you never know. anyway i think i noticed an evil dead reference in indiana jones. could be coincidence, but i was playing emperors tomb, and indy says something along the lines of "feels lke someone just stepped on my grave" when he senses a trap. in evil dead 2, ash says (something like - havent seen in a while) "i think somebody just walked over my grave" when he sees himself in the pages of the necronomicon. reference by the games designers? i think its pretty likely...

"groovy"

Patrick

Yeah, I'm not into gory movies so I don't watch them too often. Raped by a tree? Hahaha! For some reason that sounds kind of funny... In reality it wouldn't but hey either is all the killing and stuff. Um... Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho" Totally freaked me out. Seriously I couldn't take a shower for months I would make sure I locked the door and I took a tub. Um and the " The Night Flyer" I watched part of it on T.V. after five minutes I totally freaked out and had to watch family channel cartoons for like months... Yeah.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Patrick said:
Yeah, I'm not into gory movies so I don't watch them too often. Raped by a tree? Hahaha! For some reason that sounds kind of funny... In reality it wouldn't but hey either is all the killing and stuff. Um... Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho" Totally freaked me out. Seriously I couldn't take a shower for months I would make sure I locked the door and I took a tub. Um and the " The Night Flyer" I watched part of it on T.V. after five minutes I totally freaked out and had to watch family channel cartoons for like months... Yeah.

Movies for Paper Boy to Avoid:

The Night of the Hunter - causes fear of preachers
To Kill a Mockingbird - causes fear of dogs roaming down streets
Witness for the Prosecution - causes fear of monocles
Casablanca - causes fear of transit papers
Citizen Kane - causes fear of bad opera singers
The Godfather Trilogy - causes fear of horses' heads, weddings, boats, eyeglasses, massages, baptisms, the Senate, the Vatican, windows, Cuba, and much more
The Searchers - causes fear of doorframes (there's lot of 'em, pal!)
Newsies - causes fear of...well, bad musicals

Nothing meant by that, my friend, if any else had posted what you posted, I would have responded the same way...inspiration, however weak, struck me, and I had to strike back...it just seems that you were there to bear the brunt of my rather bad jokes. ;)

To be honest, I don't really watch much in the way of of gory movies either. So I can probably empathize with you (though I don't really know for sure).

swords

Gory

Gore and guts are okay, I don't enjoy watching someone's eyes being gorged, or someone's throat slit, but its a commonity in newer horror movies... but Im not a sadistic freak. Actually, most gore looks fake, and most movies adherred to the style of Evil Dead which plays gore for shock, and laughs.

But its expecially amusing in these Evil Dead movies.

BTW, I will soon be watching the most goriest of all horror, well, what claims to be the most goriest of all horror movies: Peter Jackson's(LotR's) Dead/Alive, or "Braindead" as its referred to in other countries...

Also, the gore is claimed to be so over the top thats its wrechedly funny, like ha ha funny.:p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
There's some rather ridiculous gore in Monty Python and the Holy Grail...the fight with the Black Knight stands out (that's the fellow that gets his arms and legs cut off).