fedora

The_Raiders

Looks good to me, but I'm no expert on fedoras, I have 2, one is a black Scala Cassic Dorfman Pacific, another is a light tanish brown, and inside it says Kenwod Fine quality, both are 100%wool, but I'm dying for a brown cheap hat, the most I can afford is up to $50

The_Raiders

Hhhmmm, I've really been wanting a brown fedora and I plan on saving up for an adventurebilt, but whats the difference betwween the delux and regular? I really want a brown fedora, but man the adventurebilts are like 300 bucksor more!! Any good tips?? :dead:

Deckard

The_Raiders said:
Hhhmmm, I've really been wanting a brown fedora and I plan on saving up for an adventurebilt, but whats the difference betwween the delux and regular? I really want a brown fedora, but man the adventurebilts are like 300 bucksor more!! Any good tips?? :dead:

Well for starters get an AB before May, because the price is going to double. The AB Deluxe is a higher quality felt, and the color is a little more accurate. The Deluxe will be going up to $600 in May however.

The_Raiders

Deckard said:
Well for starters get an AB before May, because the price is going to double. The AB Deluxe is a higher quality felt, and the color is a little more accurate. The Deluxe will be going up to $600 in May however.

I'm not sure if I can get up to $100 by May :eek: I'll continue to look around until I find something ;)

Mr. Fusion

Have you seen the Akubra Federation and Federation Deluxe fedoras from Hatsdirect?

I have the Federation regular. It's a really nice hat. The color is a little off, and the crown is a little too tall, but they are very nice. The Federation Deluxe hats are a nicer felt, the color is more accurate, but they're $60 more.

I was told on another forum that Hatsdirect are making a new Akubra Federation. I can't remember if it's a deluxe or regular. It's supposed to have a better block and short crown.

The only thing about getting hats like these is you have to bash it yourself. But it can be really fun.:)

Swamp

Hey Deckard,

Isn't the AB Deluxe technically already at $600 with the exchange rate. Do you mean it is going to be 600Euros in May? Today when I looked at Marc's site it was 399 Euros or approximately $600. I new there was going to be a price increase, but did not know what it was going to be.

The_Raiders

Honestly i don't see how a hat can be worth almost
$600
i don't know anyone who'd ever pay thatmuch for a hat, i don't even think $100 is worth it no matter how good of quality it is.

Mr. Fusion

The_Raiders said:
Honestly i don't see how a hat can be worth almost
$600
i don't know anyone who'd ever pay thatmuch for a hat, i don't even think $100 is worth it no matter how good of quality it is.

Well, I probably won't ever pay that much for one, but you aren't just getting a hat at that price. You're getting an exact replica of the fedora worn by Harrison Ford in KOTCS.

It's more like an investment because the value of these hats is only going to go up.

Last edited:

The_Raiders

Mr. Fusion said:
Well, I probably won't ever pay that much for one, but aren't just getting a hat at that price. You're getting an exact replica of the fedora worn by Harrison Ford in KOTCS.

It's more like an investment because the value of these hats is only going to go up.

I see what you mean, but I just can't afford $600 bucks for it. Soi'll probablt get a cheap one some where, if it's a brown fedora it'll pass for me. ;)

The_Raiders

Mr. Fusion said:
Yeah, I can't afford one either.:(

That makes 2 of us, I've seen a few nice looking hats on ebay and there's one at a store that I'm considering getting, it has a bash on top like Indys, but the front doesn't have a bash, or pinch or whatever so I'd have to make one :rolleyes:

The_Raiders

I'm not ure, I only got a glimpse of it, they were up high on a shelf behind the checkout counter, I bought ahat there before, wich is what i use for my Indy hat now and it says "Kenwood fine qualtiy"

The_Raiders

Hhmmm, that's all it says in my hat, is Kenwood fine qualtiy" it is pretty cheap tho, I got it for $40, the brim is a bit too thin though

Mr. Fusion

I totally forgot to mention to everyone that Indy Magnoli makes custom Herbert Johnson fedoras. I already posted this in another thread, but to those who are already reading this one:Herbert Johnson Fedora (Sable)

I don't think anyone else has brought these up. Probably because they are just as expensive as Todd's fedoras. The only difference here, really, is that Magnoli modifies these original HJs to look and feel more like Harrison's hat in Raiders.

eazybox

Mr. Fusion said:
I totally forgot to mention to everyone that Indy Magnoli makes custom Herbert Johnson fedoras. I already posted this in another thread, but to those who are already reading this one:Herbert Johnson Fedora (Sable)

I don't think anyone else has brought these up. Probably because they are just as expensive as Todd's fedoras. The only difference here, really, is that Magnoli modifies these original HJs to look and feel more like Harrison's hat in Raiders.

This was mentioned several times in different threads, but is worth repeating because the Magnoli is a fabulous hat and probably the best Raiders replica ever produced.

This hat is made for Indy Magnoli by Steve Delk of Adventurebilt, who made Harrison Ford's hats for Indy 4. Steve gets these hats in parts from HJ and assembles them from scratch, using his own Raiders block. He also replaces the standard HJ ribbon with the original Raiders ribbon, which only AB has. These hats are specially treated to reduce shrinkage and also include the vintage maroon Herbert Johnson logo in the liner.

I've heard that Todd is now also using his own block as well as the vintage HJ logo, but have not been able to confirm this yet.

If getting a hat from the original manufacturer is important to you, the offering from Magnoli and Steve is probably your best choice. You'll have to wait awhile to get your Magnoli HJ, but all of life's best things are worth waiting for. ;)

Jack

Mr. Fusion

eazybox said:
This was mentioned several times in different threads, but is worth repeating because the Magnoli is a fabulous hat and probably the best Raiders replica ever produced.

This hat is made for Indy Magnoli by Steve Delk of Adventurebilt, who made Harrison Ford's hats for Indy 4. Steve gets these hats in parts from HJ and assembles them from scratch, using his own Raiders block. He also replaces the standard HJ ribbon with the original Raiders ribbon, which only AB has. These hats are specially treated to reduce shrinkage and also include the vintage maroon Herbert Johnson logo in the liner.

I've heard that Todd is now also using his own block as well as the vintage HJ logo, but have not been able to confirm this yet.

If getting a hat from the original manufacturer is important to you, the offering from Magnoli and Steve is probably your best choice. You'll have to wait awhile to get your Magnoli HJ, but all of life's best things are worth waiting for. ;)

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I didn't realize that Steve makes these for Magnoli.

I guess a wait on one of these HJs would be about as long as waiting for an AB. At that price, I'd go for an Adventurebilt. Sucks that I don't have that kinda cash.

Mr. Z

So many choices here. It is almost frustrating, to be honest. I almost tempted to order a cheapo one from sw.com just to tide me over.

I want to wait and see what Adventurebuilt has to over once May rolls around, but if they are going to hike up the prices, I should probably figure something else out.

Mr. Fusion

Mr. Z said:
I want to wait and see what Adventurebuilt has to over once May rolls around, but if they are going to hike up the prices, I should probably figure something else out.

Steve has said that he's raising the price of the American Adventurebilt. I don't know if Marc is upping the price of the Adventurebilt Deluxe, but it's already really high. Almost twice as much as the American version.:(