Any ToD fans out there?

Kali Mah

Sam Falco said:
Temple of Doom is HIGHLY underrated and compared to some other movies of that era, Doom wasnt too dark at all. In fact, the dark aspect is kinda what lent most of its lasting effect, because after the first one, everybody was just expecting "Raiders 2" but what we got was a COMPLETELY different movie with its own style, look and tone that set it apart from Raiders and Crusade.

I agree with you 100%.

One of the main reasons I love Temple of Doom so much is because it's DIFFERENT from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Actually, in my opinion, Raiders is WAY darker than Temple.

Great post, Sam.

MolaRam2

Sam Falco said:
Temple of Doom is HIGHLY underrated and compared to some other movies of that era, Doom wasnt too dark at all. In fact, the dark aspect is kinda what lent most of its lasting effect, because after the first one, everybody was just expecting "Raiders 2" but what we got was a COMPLETELY different movie with its own style, look and tone that set it apart from Raiders and Crusade.

Out of curiosity, which movies from the era do you consider darker. I like dark movies, so I'm just wondering. Another movie from the same era criticized for being too dark for a family film is Disney's The Black Cauldron. The Black Cauldron is far from a perfect film, and it definetely isn't a Disney masterpiece like Snow White or Fantasia, but the dark elements make it stand out as a unique and great film that far surpasses the balls-less Disney animated films (outside of PIXAR) of today such as Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Home on the Range.

Sam Falco

MolaRam2 said:
Out of curiosity, which movies from the era do you consider darker. I like dark movies, so I'm just wondering. Another movie from the same era criticized for being too dark for a family film is Disney's The Black Cauldron. The Black Cauldron is far from a perfect film, and it definetely isn't a Disney masterpiece like Snow White or Fantasia, but the dark elements make it stand out as a unique and great film that far surpasses the balls-less Disney animated films (outside of PIXAR) of today such as Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Home on the Range.

To name a few...

Aliens
Blade Runner
Brazil
Terminator
Blue Velvet

Pretty dark films from the era. Doom was WAY more action than horror and I think people need to take another look at it. A dark film to me is one that is trying to tell you that good never prevails and the only good guys we get are the tragic anti-heroes who do whatever suits them, wheras Indy went through all that pain and misery to rescue CHILDREN from the clutches of a bunch of madmen! Its a story of adventure, yeah, but its also a really deep character study of a man obsessed with the thrill of the hunt, fortune and glory realizing what is truly important in the field he's chosen to devote his life to.

"Now you see the magic of the rock?"
"Yes, I understand its power now."

Boom! That about sums up the movie, folks.

you know it was really good but KOTCS was better my ranking goes
1. RAIDERS
2. CRUSADE
3.KOTCS
4.TEMPLE

I don't put temple last because it was bad just because the others were better

MolaRam2

Sam Falco said:
To name a few...

Aliens
Blade Runner
Brazil
Terminator
Blue Velvet

Pretty dark films from the era. Doom was WAY more action than horror and I think people need to take another look at it. A dark film to me is one that is trying to tell you that good never prevails and the only good guys we get are the tragic anti-heroes who do whatever suits them, wheras Indy went through all that pain and misery to rescue CHILDREN from the clutches of a bunch of madmen! Its a story of adventure, yeah, but its also a really deep character study of a man obsessed with the thrill of the hunt, fortune and glory realizing what is truly important in the field he's chosen to devote his life to.

"Now you see the magic of the rock?"
"Yes, I understand its power now."

Boom! That about sums up the movie, folks.

Well, alot of the controversy over ToD was caused because it was a family film. Alot of PG rated movies before ToD were much more violent. The reason their was a backlash against ToD's violence is because it's a family film.
More violent PG movies before ToD include Jaws and an early 1970s version of Tales from the Crypt.

Sam Falco said:

Agreed. and the fact that Indiana Jones was created out of love for old movie serials, the plots SHOULD differ with each episode based on the definition of serials...i blame Spielberg's lack of balls...um..i mean creativity...um..i mean over-sentimentality...um...i mean using-my-films-to-work-out-my own-daddy-issues...ah hell, i blame him for eveything that is wrong with Last Crusade and KOTCS. TEMPLE OF DOOM ROCKS AND Spielberg should be ashamed for trying to deny it ever happened!!!

MolaRam2

featofstrength said:
Agreed. and the fact that Indiana Jones was created out of love for old movie serials, the plots SHOULD differ with each episode based on the definition of serials...i blame Spielberg's lack of balls...um..i mean creativity...um..i mean over-sentimentality...um...i mean using-my-films-to-work-out-my own-daddy-issues...ah hell, i blame him for eveything that is wrong with Last Crusade and KOTCS. TEMPLE OF DOOM ROCKS AND Spielberg should be ashamed for trying to deny it ever happened!!!

You know I don't see why so many people (including Spielberg) have problems with the horror elements of ToD. The Ark Opening scene from Raiders is a classic moment of horror in cinema. It has the wrath of God being unleashed which gives us two faces melting and one head exploding. If that isn't horror, than I don't know what is. Also, the Hovitos Temple and Well of Souls are creepy and atmospheric sets worthy of being in a horror film. The theme for the Ark itself should rank as a great horror theme along with the likes of the Halloween and Psyhco themes. Raiders wasn't as much of a horror film as ToD was, but it definately has horror elements in it. LC lacks horror except for Donovan's demise. KOTCS is totally devoid of any horror elements that work. You could call the Cemetary Warriors and ants an attempt at horror, but they come off more comical than anything else.

ToD took the horror from Raiders and gave it much more screen time. It wasn't like Indy had never delved into the horror genre before.

If Indy 5 is ever made, it should return to the series roots and be a potent mixture of adventure and horror. It's the mixture of adventure and horror that make the Indiana Jones series so special to me. I want creepy atmospheric sets, chilling music, jump scares (mummies in Well of Souls for example), and encounters with truly terrifying elements of the supernatural.

Bat-Dude

Just chiming in with my 2nd post to say that ToD is definitely my favorite of the 4 movies.

I look forward to reading through this whole thread as time allows :p

LostArk

Ok we need to organize a rewatch soon because I really wanna watch Temple again.

ps: my 400th post was ToD-related :whip:

michael

LostArk said:
Ok we need to organize a rewatch soon because I really wanna watch Temple again.

ps: my 400th post was ToD-related :whip:
I'm down for this. Anybody notice that the best time to watch TOD is on a friday night or saturday night?

michael

It's probably just me, I remember being a kid, coming home on a friday after school and watching it, it doesn't feel the same on Sunday night, maybe a Sunday night when I have the next day off? Make sense? It's still in my top 5 favorite movies though...so don't get me wrong.

LostArk

michael said:
It's probably just me, I remember being a kid, coming home on a friday after school and watching it, it doesn't feel the same on Sunday night, maybe a Sunday night when I have the next day off? Make sense? It's still in my top 5 favorite movies though...so don't get me wrong.
Ah, I know what you mean :)

Like on a Friday night you have your curtains shut, the AC on and its time to watch a movie?

michael

LostArk said:
Ah, I know what you mean :)

Like on a Friday night you have your curtains shut, the AC on and its time to watch a movie?
It's like more of a mental thing than anything.

graz

I watched TOD last night for the first time in ages, and, while it remains my least favourite of the films, I still think its alot of fun. Not wanting to spam what is basically an appreciation thread,i just wanted to make the following observations:

1. Its interesting how TOD is set in one location. All the other movies globe trot a fair bit. I guess this may be to make it distinct from Raiders which it certainly is.

2. For all the talk about it being 'dark', it struck me as being several scenes of daft (if amusing) comedy usually involving Willie, held together by three or four big action set pieces. The comedy scenes are many and more like sketches - I'm thinking Willie on the elephant, Willie in the Jungle, Willie and Indy thinking of sleeping together. In fact, I think its the most comedic of all the films.

3. Where this film differs for me, is it feels like they thought up the action and comedy scenes first, then tried to think up a plot to hang them on. It just feels a lot more slight to me - kind of like an incidental adventure, without the 'Epic' sweep of the others.

On the plus side, Short Round is great, the action scenes are excellent (the mine cart ride being my favourite of the series) and the rope bridge scene is extremely exciting - Indy at his best!

Anyway, these are just personal opinions - I'm NOT saying its a bad film! :D

muttjones

im a big ToD fan.

Im pretty sure i saw it before the others when i was about 7 or 8.
I was totally freaked out but that what got me hooked. for about a year after that i was so into indiana jones and would watch the movies again and again.

now with the return of indy im right back into it.
and now im still undecided about which movie i enjoy the most.
i think i like them all just as much. i know its a bit on the fence but unless u make a really good argument for one movie i think i'll stay this way forever.