Trilogy on Blu-Ray

digitalfreaknyc

indi1.jpg

indi2.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Could use some good scans (not pics) of the inside box art for the merchandise page, when you spot 'em. Thanks!

Edit: just noticed the Jedi Council Forums are back at theforce.net, also with a blu-ray discussion.

Last edited:

WeAreGoingToDie

Ah, cool. Okay, because I was going to start requesting more pics! lol

The US version of the collection looks to be the same size as the Star Wars Saga box, which is great because I love the size of that set. Probably just a bit thinner since Star Wars was 9 pages and Indy will be 5 pages (6 pages counting the thinner first page).

Already put my trilogy DVD set and Crystal Skull Target exclusive DVD in storage in anticipation of this set. REALLY cleared up a lot of shelf space. Only downside is that I thought the trilogy DVD box matched the Young Indy boxes real well.

Dr.Jonesy

Does anyone know where in the US I could get the DigiPack?

It's a thicker set/case with actual plastic holders for the discs. I'd really prefer to drop the cash on the box set I want rather than the one that has the sleeves for the discs. If I'm spending this kinda money, I'd rather it be on the set I really want.

Anyone know where in the U.S. I could find this puppy. Looks amazing.

img1539gt.jpg

img1540a.jpg

img1541xt.jpg

And am I the only one who wishes they'd release the artwork in the set for the 4 films so I could frame them? They're amazing!

WeAreGoingToDie

Your best bet is Amazon.co.uk

That design is not sold in the US, though at least with Amazon UK you can use your existing Amazon account, you're not charged tax and shipping is inexpensive. Plus you can get the regular version or the special edition version. Only downside is, it releases in early October.

---

Also, I'm thinking that Target might do the prints like they did with the Star Wars blu-ray. So you might get your artwork that way. :) I recall the Star Wars ones could be bought separately.

---

Personally I much prefer the US design. You get the full 2 page layouts of the art, there is some additional art on the first page and the pages themselves (including the box) look sturdier. I know some people don't trust sleeve designs, and to be fair I don't either when it comes to DVDs. But blu-rays are far more resilient, and a well designed sleeve with the right backing won't damage the discs in the slightest.

Last edited:

WeAreGoingToDie

Update: A dude at the blu-ray.com forums is saying that Target will have the set for $69.99 and it will include five lithographs. I assume these will be the cover art + the four films art from the inside of the set. If they're just like the Star Wars lithographs, I'll be very pleased.

Goonie

With the four movies hitting Blu next week, what do you guys think our chances are of seeing Young Indy hit Blu too?
:confused:
Would be great to see Young Indy on Blu too. What Paramount did with Star Trek TNG Season 1, it looks awesome!

WeAreGoingToDie

Goonie said:
With the four movies hitting Blu next week, what do you guys think our chances are of seeing Young Indy hit Blu too?
:confused:
Would be great to see Young Indy on Blu too. What Paramount did with Star Trek TNG Season 1, it looks awesome!

To be true HD, they'd have to scan the original film elements (assuming it was shot on film. was Young Indy shot on film, or video?) and then they'd have to re do a lot of the effects so they don't stick out like a sore thumb in HD. Again, assuming they have the original effects elements or do it from scratch.

Basically it would mean a BIG undertaking if they do something at TNG levels of restoration.

Probably won't happen, but at best putting the episodes on blu-ray could result in slightly better audio and fewer discs. But nothing worth a double dip.

Crack that whip

I've fantasized about the possibility myself, mainly because we all know George loves to muck around with his past work anyway, and putting Young Indy in high-def would pretty much necessitate it in the way of the Star Trek TV series high-def projects, so as long as he was doing it at all anyway, he might opt to change his work again, hopefully this time putting at least some of the original bookends back and dropping some of the ungainly new linking footage. On the other hand, he could tweak them further in ways that make them worse, not better, so perhaps it's just as well if it doesn't happen...

The thing is, I actually really, really like some of the alterations done to transform the show from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles to The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones; it's a mixed bag (like the later versions of the Star Wars movies are for me, unlike a lot of people who just flat-out prefer the originals in pretty much every respect). I'd like to see the show finalized in a form that combines the best aspects of the Chronicles and the Adventures, though of course George and I would probably disagree on what those would be (then again, probably every other fan has his or her own opinion, too, and perhaps none of them match...).

WeAreGoingToDie said:
To be true HD, they'd have to scan the original film elements (assuming it was shot on film. was Young Indy shot on film, or video?) and then they'd have to re do a lot of the effects so they don't stick out like a sore thumb in HD. Again, assuming they have the original effects elements or do it from scratch.

The show was in fact shot on film, albeit 16mm rather than 35mm, though that's still enough that it could benefit from a high-definition remaster. (There's even a mention in the end credits of each installment noting that the show was originated on Eastman color film stock, or something to that effect.) As noted, they would indeed have to redo the effects, but then again, these days George practically redoes his old effects work on a daily basis anyway.

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Basically it would mean a BIG undertaking if they do something at TNG levels of restoration.

It would, although some episodes are more effects-intensive than others. There's a lot less sheer material of this show than there is of Star Trek: The Next Generation (or any of the other Star Trek series), which helps in that it means a lower total volume of work that would need to be done (lower than ST:TNG, anyway, not so much the entirely-on-film original series), but on the other hand this show is also less popular than any of the Trek series, so there might not be enough of an audience / market to justify it. Then again, to his everlasting credit George Lucas has always put more resources into this labor-of-love production than might be justified by looking purely at the bottom line, so perhaps he might be willing to give it a shot sometime.

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Probably won't happen, but at best putting the episodes on blu-ray could result in slightly better audio and fewer discs. But nothing worth a double dip.

Oh, it could result in substantially better video as well as audio - actually, I suspect video would probably benefit more than audio. And that's assuming there were no new extras (or more crucially, new alterations to the show itself, which if they happened could make it either better or worse than the show as it now is, though either way it would be essential for completists).