Online Communication

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
And perhaps EXPECTATIONS are the root issue here....

I know that I expect that everyone is going to be as thick, as dumb, as wrong about things as often as I am.... so when I communicate here, I endeavour to do it in the most direct manner I can.

Let me ask this.... Has there EVER been any question about what I might have MEANT in a post? What my point might have been?

All too often I see post after post after post between people having to explain themselves over and over and over because someone has misunderstood something they said....

Anyone ever seem to misunderstand my intentions? (For positive or negative)

*edit Crosspost*
"If you find my comments or contributions difficult to grasp, then that's your problem."
It becomes my responsibility to accept ownership of my own ignorance, and if I care to alleviate that ignorance to seek further clarification from you.... Seems cumbersome... But I think that's the nature of online communication....
I just think that it's unnecessary to call someone ignorant or immature because they don't conduct themselves by your standards. I don't think it's a "positive" thing to insult someone.

"why do you come back again and again"
This place exists for exactly that level of exchange....

Or are you asserting that only people who agree are allowed to post?

"I don't think it's a "positive" thing to insult someone."
But you criticize ME for not conducting myself to your standard....

Where did I call anyone (But myself) ignorant?
Who did I ever call immature, who wasn't?

And where is it written that ALL exchanges have to be 'positive'?
(I addressed this elsewhere... Nowhere is it written that every poster has ANY sort of expectation of being insulated from all things they are ever going to find less than comforting)

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"why do you come back again and again"
This place exists for exactly that level of exchange....

Or are you asserting that only people who agree are allowed to post?

"I don't think it's a "positive" thing to insult someone."
But you criticize ME for not conducting myself to your standard....

Where did I call anyone (But myself) ignorant?
Who did I ever call immature, who wasn't?

You yourself said that you don't know these people. So who are you to label them as immature?

I think that the standards of this message board are the authority on whether insults, generalized or specific, are considered good conduct....

And again the thread wanders. This is not the let's all clash with Clinton Hammond thread, is it? Although I'm sure you would enjoy that?

"So who are you to label them as immature?"
I'm still waiting to see an example....

And well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and swims like a duck.... Who am I to say "Not Duck"?

Ya know "Herr Gruber", I was about to post something to the effect of thanking you and "nezobiwan" for your contributions in this thread so far... I've read our exchange up to this point as mature, calm, informative.... even enjoyable.

Your last post instead becomes a wonderful example of how different people can read the exact same thing and come away with very different impressions....

I'm not going to say that your impression is wrong.... nor am I going to say that mine is even more right....

I am going to say that I'm probably getting more positive out of this exchange than you are.... and it's probably because I've made the conscious CHOICE to treat this exchange as positive....

I've taken responsibility for MY impressions and reactions.

FK it... I'll still thank you both! :p

Would that more people here at The Raven could treat discourse in such a manner, even from time to time.... Instead we endure this but -I'm- the one that reflects poorly on The Raven......

What was that about it being wrong to tag some people as immature, "nezobiwan"?? Try explaining that one to me again would ya....

Last edited:
Who the **** do you think you're calling 'HG? !!! What gives you the right to shorten my name! To me, your just a poster on a message board. I don't even know you. You ass sucking little skite.

Just kidding.

nezobiwan

HAHA, herr gruber.:D

Shall we close it at that then? I don't deny your intelligence or contribution to the Raven, CH. I was really denying myself half of the entire forum's discussion by putting you on my ignore list that one time. Half of the board was blocked out by countless posts of "This person is on your ignore list." I just wish that conflict didn't have to arise and muck up the thread topics in people's responses to your posts.

Each person is responsible for his or her own post. I think if someone misinterprets someone else, it is both the responsibility of the misinterpreted and the responsibility of the misinterpreter to reconcile expeditiously or simply apologize and drop it OR take it to private message discussion. I haven't been on this board long, but there seems to be a debilitating trend of "misinterpreted comment" discussions interrupting many threads.

"Just kidding."
You might wanna take a look at the rules concerning posting language in the "General Forum Rules" section... Kidding or not, this place is supposed to be rated PG 13....

On topic.... at least I had the courtesy to ASK you if you mind me shortening your name... and if you DO mind it, I won't do it....

"I just wish that conflict didn't have to arise"
Well, my grandfather was fond of saying, "You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one piles up first"

Conflict is inevitable any time more than one person is involved.... The real question is how to RESOLVE those conflicts.... I think that this thread so far has mostly been an example of how people can discuss and maybe even resolve those conflicts in a mature manner....

"I think if someone misinterprets someone else"
You never did answer me.... Has there ever been a situation where my intent in a post was unclear??? LOL

ClintonHammond said:
"Just kidding."
You might wanna take a look at the rules concerning posting language in the "General Forum Rules" section... Kidding or not, this place is supposed to be rated PG 13....

On topic.... at least I had the courtesy to ASK you if you mind me shortening your name... and if you DO mind it, I won't do it....

"I just wish that conflict didn't have to arise"
Well, my grandfather was fond of saying, "You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one piles up first"

Conflict is inevitable any time more than one person is involved.... The real question is how to RESOLVE those conflicts.... I think that this thread so far has mostly been an example of how people can discuss and maybe even resolve those conflicts in a mature manner....

You never did answer me.... Has there ever been a situation where my intent in a post was unclear??? LOL

Clinton, you may call me HG, PG, Bee Gee, I'm easy.

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
=

According to you it happens all of the time on this board.

Have a nice night/day/whatever guys. Finals week is approaching and I have a ton of work to do. Nos vemos (see ya). :hat:

"I'm easy."
Are you cheap? ,-)

"According to you it happens all of the time on this board."
When did I ever say that? What I've suggested is that people over-react... they take things personally, when the reality of the situation suggests they aught not.

I don't think I ever claimed to be misunderstood! LOL

"Finals week is approaching"
Give 'em hell!! Come back with passes, or don't come back at all!
(In the style of the old Roman parting... "Come back carrying your shield or on it!")