What's everyone reading?

Goonie

I'm right in the middle of Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils.

So far I think it's better than Peril at Delphi and Dance of the Giants.

TrinitysGhost

I'm reading Blood Rites, book 6 of The Dresden Files, just finished a quick, but entertaining evening with the Indiana Jones Adventures graphic novel, and will be reading Motel of Mysteries (a humorous tale of archeology gone wrong), as well as the first Charlaine Harris 'Dead' book (Dead Until Dark, I believe) over the next week or so. ;)

Joe Brody

Steve Martin's Auto-biography.

What a smart, insightful, candid guy. Love the Disneyland stuff. If anyone ever knocks Disney or the Disney World parks, just have them read that chapter and tell them to have a cup of STFU. What a great creative catalyst.

Muttette

I'm in the middle of a collection of short stories by Ruth Rendell and another collection by J.D Salinger and Death Note 13...

I'd rather write than read though... :D

I'm reading J.D. Salingers review of Raiders of the Lost Ark, he didn't like it.

…Have seen no good movies, except The Last Metro…I got hooked into seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark, which might be excused for its unwitty, unfunny awful socko-ness if it had been put together by Harvard Lampoon seniors…

Then again his job in the War was interviewing Nazi deserters and sympathizers...

avidfilmbuff

I just finished reading The Big Sleep, which was utterly fantastic. And I'm now reading Shutter Island, since the Scorsese film is being released.

In my Britannica, I'm reading a short article on Donatello, and a long article on the history of Australia.

Indy Scout 117

im reading several books actually...one of them is Army of the Dead :D and the others are a Star Trek Enterprise novel, and Wolverine: Election Day. so far, good books (y)

Peru1936

Reading this classic again for the first time -

peter_matthiessen

The Snow Leopard, Peter Matthiessen

Joosse

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Bring 'Em Back Alive by Frank Buck

Buck captured live animals in Asia for zoos in the 1920's.

:)

And later he became the Commander of Babylon 5? ;) :p

I'm currently reading the Unicorn's Legacy by Rob MacGregor and loving it, but my wife has bought me Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph by T.E. Lawrence as a present for my graduation, so I'll be starting that as soon as it arrives...

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
but my wife has bought me Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph by T.E. Lawrence as a present for my graduation, so I'll be starting that as soon as it arrives...

My dad, who is a bit of a Lawrence fan, started to read this years ago, and from what I gather it isn't suitable for light bedtime reading!

From the sublime to the ridiculous, after reading all the Indy movie novelizations again, I'm returning to the task of getting through all my unread Star Wars expanded universe novels, having piled them in chronological order. I'm currently half way through A.C. Crispin's Rebel Dawn, the last of the Han Solo Trilogy (his early years).

And back to the sublime again...

Dr. Gonzo said:
Re-reading Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". It's been a year or two since I last read it.

I love the works of Conrad, and Heart of Darkness in particular.

Mickiana

Poems of Pablo Neruda, Making Money by Paul Clitheroe (I have none), Blood Meridian (a little while back), The Moon Is Down by Steinbeck and various barbeque and cook books. Oh, and brewing mags when they come in.

Rhys135

Last book I read was 'Teacher's Dead' which was very good, and I'm now reading 'The 39 Steps'.

lao che & sons

i just finished 3 books, Indiana jones and the perial at delphi, very good but not the best I've read

filmmaking for teens: pulling off your shorts, the best filmmaking guide I've ever read.

and the giver I liked it. And I recommend it.

Now on to another 3, (1 indy, a research or guidebook of such, and a novel) it keeps me entertained:)

Joosse

lao che & sons said:
i just finished 3 books, Indiana jones and the perial at delphi, very good but not the best I've read

Agreed, not the best, but a very good book indeed if you ask me. Starts Rob MacGregor's sage, wich is best read in the order that they came out to be fully appreciated.

lao che & sons said:
filmmaking for teens: pulling off your shorts

That sounds rather naughty... :eek:

MontanaSmith said:
My dad, who is a bit of a Lawrence fan, started to read this years ago, and from what I gather it isn't suitable for light bedtime reading!

You're saying that you are not a Lawrence fan?

But I am prepared for it being like that, as I'm quite used to reading books of that kind. There are a lot of Arab children in the Dutch schools that I'll end up teaching at, and this is another way for me to try and be as good a teacher as I can by trying to understand where they are coming from.

I speak the language a little bit, and that and the fact that I read the Koran already bridges quite a lot of gaps I have found.

MontanaSmith said:
I'm currently half way through A.C. Crispin's Rebel Dawn, the last of the Han Solo Trilogy (his early years).

You know, when you say Han Solo Trilogy, I'm thinking Brian Daley. Or does that just classify me as old... :rolleyes:

Ever read that one?

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
You're saying that you are not a Lawrence fan?

Let's say that he's the bigger fan. ;) Though he often comments that 'Lawrence wasn't alone', when he crops up in films and documentaries, but Lawrence seemed to court the fame and the infamy. A fascinating character and life.

Joosse said:
But I am prepared for it being like that, as I'm quite used to reading books of that kind. There are a lot of Arab children in the Dutch schools that I'll end up teaching at, and this is another way for me to try and be as good a teacher as I can by trying to understand where they are coming from.

I speak the language a little bit, and that and the fact that I read the Koran already bridges quite a lot of gaps I have found.

I take my hat off to you, Joosse. If only those that took us into the Iraq and Afghanistan wars also had more of an understanding of the problems Lawrence faced, and of the middle-eastern culture, we might be better placed than we are now.

:hat:

Joosse said:
You know, when you say Han Solo Trilogy, I'm thinking Brian Daley. Or does that just classify me as old... :rolleyes:

Ever read that one?

Yes, Joosse, it does classify you as old! And me, too! I'm a big fan of Daley's trilogy, which I first read in the early 80s, along with Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

AC Crispin wrote another Han Solo trilogy more recently, from Han as a young boy up to his first meeting with Chewbacca and his first dealings with Jabba and the Rebellion.