What's everyone reading?

What's everyone reading/ planning to read in the near future?

I just finished Arthur Clarke's Songs of Distant Earth the other day. Now I'm halfway through Wells' The Time Machine.

I just bought:

Crash by J.G. Ballard which I'll probably start tonight if I finish Time Machine.
2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur Clarke Again)
Childhood's End (More Clarke)

I've also been off-and-on reading this fantastic text book called The Story of Film by Mark Cousins. Nice juicy coffee table-***-academic book chronicling 100 years of innovation within world cinema told in a narrative fashion. Loving it.

And on top of that... I've been reading A LOT of R Crumb comics recently. Big Ass Comics, Bible of Filth, various Fritz the Cat comics (though I most adored Fritz Bugs Out which was adapted into a feature film simply titled "Fritz the Cat"), etc. (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I tell myself that Crime and Punishment might be next, but really, that's a big endeavor for during the school year. I probably can polish off the rest of the Complete Chekhov (Three Sisters and a bunch of earlier, lesser works) in far less time. Stoppard's Coast of Utopia might make the cut soon enough too.

(Yeah, I've got a Russia thing going on.)

Kingsley

Attila the Professor said:
I tell myself that Crime and Punishment might be next

Crime and Punishment is great!!
I'm in a reading hiatus, I should do something about it...

Kingsley said:
Crime and Punishment is great!!
I'm in a reading hiatus, I should do something about it...

Yeah, I'm just starting to bring myself out of a rather long reading hiatus. Unfortunately with all these classes... that's all gonna go to hell real quick for me.

bflah91989

I'm reading Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims now.

On my list, I have:
Robert E. Lee on Leadership
Intelligence in War by John Keegan
1491 by Charles Mann
Touching the Void by Joe Simpson
Geronimo: His Story by Geronimo

|ZiR|

Well, what have you been reading, mister?

I just finished Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon, and a reread of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Now I'm on House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (reread), The Undertaking by Thomas Lynch, and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (reread).

|ZiR|

metalinvader said:
I'm currently re-reading "Mind over matters" by Mike Nelson (of MST3k fame) when I'm at the gym.

Oh how is it? He's written a few books, and I've always wanted to try one but never managed to pick one up.

metalinvader

|ZiR| said:
Oh how is it? He's written a few books, and I've always wanted to try one but never managed to pick one up.

I've only read two of his books,Mega Movie Cheese and Mind over Matters,But both are freakin' hillarious.Both books have some major laugh out loud moments.They are really worth picking up.

Hawkeye

Currently reading "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" again. Next to Indy, he's my favorite fictional character. :D

LostArk

Just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick for the 2nd time and I still love it and the movie it loosely spawned.

Other than that, I haven't read much this year:

The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Romeo and Juliet (school)

And a book for Spanish class.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've been reading "Young Bond: Silverfin". Totally awesome book! I'm so getting the next one in the series.

"Reading" Labyrinths by Jorge Borges. "Reading" because I picked it up a few weeks ago, read the first two stories... and haven't picked it up again. I can't commit to anything. Meh.

mutt willams

im reading tempest by Troy Denning, its the third part of a Star Wars series called legacy of the force. its very exiting! i love it, have any of you guys read it?

xfkirsten

Finally picked up the first book in Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, and it's pretty enjoyable! For my zoology geek moments, I'm also reading "Dolphin Societies," a collection of scientific papers on wild dolphin behavior. :)

Indy_Chic

mutt willams said:
im reading tempest by Troy Denning, its the third part of a Star Wars series called legacy of the force. its very exiting! i love it, have any of you guys read it?

Yep! I have and I loved the book! At the moment I am reading Legacy of the Force: Revelation by Karen Traviss. (y)