The Chimu Taya Arms of Cuzco- Are the Real?

Col. Detritch

In Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold the artifact is the Chimu Taya Arms of Cuzco and I was wondering if they were real (Legend wise)? I looked into it and found nothing but cheap holidays to Cuzco and Indiana Jones stuff. Has anyone found anything to suggest they existed or are they just a cleverly constructed story based around facts and other non-related legends?:hat:

Montana Smith

Col. Detritch said:
Does anyone know if this is a real legend or not. I can't find anything and I'd really like to know!:hat:

I think it was just an elaboration of the El Dorado myth ('the golden one') as set out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado

I also think that the myth is linked to the Golden Fleece legend, which is based on the practice of placing a fleece or wolf pelt into a gold-bearing river, so that over time the fleece or pelt collects the gold dust. This was a method of collecting gold used in the Black Sea area (where the Golden Fleece is located in myth) and in other parts of Russia. A similiar method may have been used in South America, giving rise to the legend of the golden man.

The Arms of Gold giving a chief superhuman powers is also inspired by the ancient astronaut/ancient alien intelligence ideas of von Daniken, which were then used in KOTCS.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I think it was just an elaboration of the El Dorado myth ('the golden one') as set out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado

I also think that the myth is linked to the Golden Fleece legend, which is based on the practice of placing a fleece or wolf pelt into a gold-bearing river, so that over time the fleece or pelt collects the gold dust. This was a method of collecting gold used in the Black Sea area (where the Golden Fleece is located in myth) and in other parts of Russia. A similiar method may have been used in South America, giving rise to the legend of the golden man.

The Arms of Gold giving a chief superhuman powers is also inspired by the ancient astronaut/ancient alien intelligence ideas of von Daniken, which were then used in KOTCS.

That sounds cool Montana and makes alot of sence out of things.:cool:

I was digging around in some of my old files after reading this, looking for El Dorado information and actually found a bit of information on Inca Emperor, Pachacuti. Legend says that Pachacuti had the power to shape the rocks (like the power of the arms in the comic). This myth came about during an invasion of Cuzco by the Chankas, the Incas' traditional tribal archenemies. While his father (the emperor) and brother (the next rightful emperor) fled Pachacuti rallied the army and prepared for a desperate defence of his homeland. In the resulting battle the Chankas were defeated so severely that legend tells even the stones rose up to fight on Pachacuti's side. Thus "The Earth Shaker" won the support of his people and the recognition of his father as crown prince and joint ruler. In Quechua Pachacuti even means: "He who remakes the world". So this icould be the basis of the power of the arms.

And then there is Inca tradition which was that the dead were preserved in wrappings, like mummy's, and parade around as honoured guests and treated like the living- except the evil doers who were coincidently buried in the ground for their sins!:p It is quite possible that Emperor Pachacuti was wrapped up and then put into golden armour as a sign of power and wealth before being praised and honoured. This golden armour could have easily come from the legend of El Dorado and the golden one. Then the legend concept evolves to into the story that the armour inhibited the emperor?s powers to shape and control the stones and the earth.:hat:

Montana Smith

That all sounds good, Col. And it was under your nose all the time! ;)

I just put in my DVD full of Indy comics to check whether there was any more information at the back of each issue of 'The Arms of Gold', but there was only the language lesson of terms and phrases used. Then I realized that 'Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece' was the story that came out a month after 'Arms of Gold' ended, so I think the writers had been thinking along the lines of 'the golden one'.

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Montana Smith
That all sounds good, Col. And it was under your nose all the time! ;)

Ain't it always!:)

I just put in my DVD full of Indy comics to check whether there was any more information at the back of each issue of 'The Arms of Gold', but there was only the language lesson of terms and phrases used. Then I realized that 'Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece' was the story that came out a month after 'Arms of Gold' ended, so I think the writers had been thinking along the lines of 'the golden one'.

I was thinking about the Golden Fleece comic when I read your post! I personally didn't think too much of that comic- a little odd!

P.S. Where did you get a DVD of the comics? All I have is the cbr. copies!:hat:

Montana Smith

Col. Detritch said:
I was thinking about the Golden Fleece comic when I read your post! I personally didn't think too much of that comic- a little odd!

Agreed - I didn't like the 'Golden Fleece' story at all. It just didn't seem right.

I'll pm you about the DVD.