The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

harvey

InBanana Jones said:
The mystery of issue #35 intrigues me,

With help from those here on the Raven, I posted the question to Marvel's Cup O Joe forum. Here's an answer...kinda. Hey, I gave it a shot. :(

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33325

Scroll to the bottom of the link for my question...here's the text:

Finally, as regular readers who have followed our talks on the Marvel Vault specials know, I love hearing about random "lost" projects, so harvey7297's lengthy question was one I couldn't resist sharing: "Trying to solve a mystery and thought this might be the best place. If this question has been asked on this forum, my apologies. I didn't see anything in a search.

"Does anyone at Marvel have any information on 'The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones' #35? The series ran through issue #34, but issue #35 was solicited in 'Marvel Age' #35. Check out post #105 on this link:

"Also, this, from the letter column 'Readers of the Lost Ark,' Issue #32:

Dear Indy People, Back in issue #25, Marion left, and we haven't seen her since. Where did she go? Maggie Probert

"This is just what we've been wondering, Maggie, and we'll all find out together in issue #35. Don't miss it!

"Any chance this missing Indy story lies buried in the Marvel warehouse? If so, how about a special issue? A new Marvel Super Special or treasury sized edition would be fantastic."

Brevoort: It's not unlikely that there might have been additional stories in the pipeline when the plug was pulled on "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" back in the day, Harvey, but I'm afraid that's the best I can tell you a this point. Not only are any of the materials for any issues that were left uncompleted no longer in our possession, but we no longer have the license to produce Indiana Jones comics, so we couldn't release an unpublished story without reacquiring the rights, which is unlikely. Sorry I couldn't be of more help here.

Last edited:

harvey

Further Adventures on the IndyCast

Just recorded an interview with Further Adventures #3 co-penciller, Richard Howell! We talk Marvel, Gene Day, Gatling guns, vampires, the Flannelled One, Crystal Skull, and more! Stay tuned to the IndyCast for comic booky goodness! And be sure to check out Richard's website at:

www.claypoolcomics.com (y)

1zbz488.jpg

davidraphael

Here is my favourite Indy story. Gateway to Infinity/ The Harbingers.
I loved the artwork and the range of locations, etc.

92466765.jpg

and here are the English editions:
99534961.jpg

davidraphael

While I'm taking photos, for those that are interested I took also photos of the complete set of UK Marvel Indiana Jones comics. After issue 11, Indiana Jones stories were incorporated into the UK Spiderman comic ( issue 646-ish, I think).

28235380.jpg

43092201.jpg

58791235.jpg

harvey

davidraphael said:
Here is my favourite Indy story. Gateway to Infinity/ The Harbingers.
I loved the artwork and the range of locations, etc.
Excellent posts! Would LOVE to have those UK comics. I'm going to have to start looking for 'em on eBay.

And...you'll love our upcoming segments on the IndyCast where we'll be covering your fave Indy comic tale.

But first...some special surprises on issue #3. The show drops this Monday!

Be sure to check out our Facebook page for updates!

http://www.facebook.com/furtheradventuresofindianajones

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
davidraphael said:
While I'm taking photos, for those that are interested I took also photos of the complete set of UK Marvel Indiana Jones comics. After issue 11, Indiana Jones stories were incorporated into the UK Spiderman comic ( issue 646-ish, I think).

28235380.jpg

43092201.jpg

58791235.jpg

Thanks David...bootlegger!!;)

Just for the record...Indiana Jones Marvel UK potted History.

Indy first appeared in Star Wars Weely 167-171...

sww-167uk-00-1.jpg

sww-167uk-02.jpg

...and then Return of the Jedi Weekly 1-22 (Replaced by Blade Runner)...

ROTJ_001_0001-1.jpg

ROTJ_001_0002.jpg

Followed by a solo series - see above - including reprint of a UK reprinting of Temple of Doom, a 1985 and the Last Crusade as a holiday special (posted in the digital thread)...

...continued in Spiderman Weekly 646 -661 (replaced by Ewoks!! Later issue quite rare)

img190a.jpg

img191a.jpg

Image41a.jpg

...and finally, Last Crusade was printed in Hulk Presents 1-12.

img195a.jpg

img196a.jpg

img197a.jpg

Phew!! Happy ebaying Harvey!!:D

davidraphael

Ah yes!
I totally forgot that Indy appeared in the 1st issue of Return of the Jedi.

I have a copy of that, too (I even still have the 'free badge' that came with it)

I have many issues of the Spiderman weekly leading up to the Indiana Jones merge, but not actually any of the Jones issues. By that point in the mid-80s I'd started collecting all the US editions of both Spiderman and Indiana Jones.
(I have all the Jones' including adaptations, and several years of Spiderman).

I've never seen that Star Wars weekly issue before - that explains where my IJ Marvel advertising poster comes from!
Thanks for showing it to me!

dR

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
davidraphael said:
I've never seen that Star Wars weekly issue before - that explains where my IJ Marvel advertising poster comes from!
Thanks for showing it to me!

dR

No problem.

Return of the Jedi weekly was a fantastic magazine, very much in the UK style, especially the fan gallery, I LOVED the fan gallery...tomorrow I post some IJ examples.

Maybe someone on the board had a picture printed...

davidraphael

Here's one of the fan art pages you mentioned (from Return of the Jedi issue 4):

rotj41983.jpg

....and an advertisement for the up and coming Indiana Jones comic from Return of the Jedi issue 64:

jonesadstarwars641984.jpg

...and here's the free gift that came with issue 1 of Indiana Jones:

ij1freegift.jpg

Last edited:

davidraphael

davidraphael said:
Here is my rare UK advertising poster for the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones:

57421390.jpg

I just realised....
I had forgotten that this poster came with issue 7 of the UK Indiana Jones comic. I bought this poster on Ebay a few years ago but since I've been looking through my UK editions I realised that there is already a pristine copy tucked inside...so now I have 2 posters!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Kerry Gammill - Indiana Jones Issue 11 - Page 12. Inking contrast.

Here's a contrast between Kerry Gammill's original pencils with inks by the both Karl Kessel and Sam De La Rosa.

Kerry Gammill's original pencils

MA28a.jpg

Karl Kessel's Inks.

MA27a.jpg

Original published page with Sam De La Rosa's inks.

MarvelIndianaJones11-12.jpg

another gem for the indycast...:D

JuniorJones said:
Here's a contrast between Kerry Gammill's original pencils with inks by the both Karl Kessel and Sam De La Rosa.
Great examples of why the comics should have remained black and white...at least its not one of those awful purple pimp fedoras they were "inspired" to give us!:rolleyes:

...let the fans color them, glorified coloring books, (have a contest while you're at it!). Great posts, some muddy inks though!