Deleted scenes

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Almost everyone complained about the lack of deleted scenes on the new Blu-ray documentaries but, to me, this GEM of a clip was worth the price for the boxed set.(y)

Looks like a gem. I've put off the Blu-Rays for now, but this gives me an incentive to spring for them sooner rather than later.

Honestly, I never realized nor noticed before that the tent appears in the finished film.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Honestly, I never realized nor noticed before that the tent appears in the finished film.
It was a long time before I noticed it, too! The clip on the Blu-ray is only about 5-10 seconds long but, dang, is it ever cool to see.
Kooshmeister said:
But yeah, that's totally the Tall Captain there with Belloq. Where does he go, then? :confused:
Right on, Koosh!:hat: Good eye on identifying Tall Captain/Mohler there. He's not one of the men carrying the Ark out of the tent (in the deleted scene) so maybe he stayed inside and watched from there.

Belloq: "Herr Hauptmann, you don't wish to join zee rest hov hus for zis great, 'istorical moment?"
Mohler: "Nein! Don't qvestion me, you silly Frenchman!"

Kooshmeister

I think in the script, where Indy confronting Belloq with the panzerfaust was supposed to occur in/outside the Tabernacle, not the canyon, Mohler stayed in the tent and then came up on Indy from behind.

But since events got switched around in the finished film, perhaps Mohler shared Dietrich's disdain for the Jewish ritual but lacked the other soldiers' curiousness, and so just either remained inside the tent or went back to the submarine base? If the former, then surely he took a peek through a curtains and melted like everyone else; if the latter, who knows what became of him?

In any event, even with the deleted scene showing him present in the Tabernacle, this still means he up and vanishes without a trace in the film, making him the Chattar Lal of Raiders!

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
But since events got switched around in the finished film, perhaps Mohler shared Dietrich's disdain for the Jewish ritual but lacked the other soldiers' curiousness, and so just either remained inside the tent or went back to the submarine base? If the former, then surely he took a peek through a curtains and melted like everyone else; if the latter, who knows what became of him?
Those are certainly possibilities, Koosh.

Mohler: Verdammt! I am trhying to schleep! Vat is all zat noise?
(Mohler gets up, looks out of curtains and is immediately zapped.)
Phlip said:
Notice anything weird about this picture?

indiana_jones_and_the_temple_of_doom_1984_500x363_360116.jpg

Indy's not wearing the jacket, what is up with that? Found the image on a random blog: http://dionwynhughes.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/blast-from-the-past-indiana-jones-the-temple-of-doom/
Nice find, Flip.:hat: Looks like it could either be a rehearsal or an alternate take.

Phlip

I honestly always preferred Indy without the jacket. I suppose I'm just used to it as I always preferred the second half of ToD, he rarely wore a jacket in Infernal Machine, and often the climate wouldn't suit it (eg. leather jacket in the burning desert in Raiders :confused: ).

Olliana

This is actually the first time I see middle-aged Indy in his KOTCS entrance outfit (no jacket and rolled down sleeves).

Phlip

Olliana said:
This is actually the first time I see middle-aged Indy in his KOTCS entrance outfit (no jacket and rolled down sleeves).
So you've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom?

Stoo

New Discoveries!

Thanks to the supreme generosity of certain, fellow Ravenheads (micsteam & Tibor), the past 3 weeks have yielded a BUNCH of new footage & images from deleted scenes of "Last Crusade"! The amount of new stuff is much too much to report in a single post...so let's start with:

The tarantula scene in the Grail Temple. Images of this are available on TheRaider.net and I also uploaded a video to YouTube with a few seconds of footage...but Miscteam's recordings have provided us with a longer clip which shows a RARELY seen portion.

Indy flicks the spider off with the Grail Diary! (I've never seen this before. Have any of you?:confused:)

Deleted_Crusade_SpiderDiary_zps7529c12c.jpg

Plus: Note the camera equipment coming in from the top left. This is an extra revelation since it shows how the instance was filmed from another angle. All of the familiar images & footage we have of the tarantula bit *may* just be shots from making-of/behind-the-scenes footage.

More analysis of other gold nuggets comin', y'all!:gun:

Indy's brother

While nice to see, it was wise to have deleted this scene. The best reason being how blasé Indy was about tarantulas in his chronologically most recent onscreen adventure.

russds

Indy's brother said:
While nice to see, it was wise to have deleted this scene. The best reason being how blasé Indy was about tarantulas in his chronologically most recent onscreen adventure.

Totally agree, I'm so glad they cut this scene. It's almost comical that "superhero Indy" is now suddenly scared of spiders. Great to see deleted footage none the less.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Y'know, that thought never even occurred to me but you're right. It wouldn't make much sense and I'm wondering if the filmmakers, themselves, hadn't considered it.

According to TheRaider.net:
"The second challenge in the Grail Temple was first planned to have tarantulas hidden under each wrong letter. Indy is shown being menaced by a tarantula crawling up his body, after stepping on the "J." While in post-production Spielberg decided the scene didn?t had the impact he was looking for and he came up with the chasm under the stone tablets."

Another thing about this scene is the notion that all of those spiders would be cooped up in their own sealed compartments for hundreds of years. The knight must have dipped each one in some Grail water so they wouldn't die, making the trap effective for all eternity.
russds said:
"superhero Indy"
The mere sight of those 2 words side-by-side makes me shudder (kind of like Indy did with the big spider on him)!:eek:

Udvarnoky

It's amazing to think that they just extemporized the revised Name of God sequence. Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?

"I need stone tablets that crumble on command in twelve hours!"

Indy's brother

Udvarnoky said:
It's amazing to think that they just extemporized the revised Name of God sequence. Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?

"I need stone tablets that crumble on command in twelve hours!"

I don't think they fixed it on the fly. In the final version, Indy still has the grail diary in the same hand when he pulls himself up. His reactions would still have been the same if he had dealt with spiders. My guess is that they shot the scene from below the path in post production. Wouldn't have even needed Ford for it. Insert that one shot, take out the spiders, BAM. Fixed. That's my guess, anyway.

Last edited:

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?
I don't know where TheRaider.net got the information from but the blurb states that Spielberg decided on the change in post-production, hence, not an immediate reshoot. The wording, "didn't have the impact he was looking for" suggests that he made the decision while the film was being edited.

Other threads on this subject:
LC Word of God deleted scene
TLC cut scene with Tarantula?

In one of those threads, there are mentions of Spielberg talking about the spider scene in the 2003 DVD boxed set but I've just looked and can't find it anywhere. Where did this info come from?:confused: Inquiring minds want to know.
Indy's brother said:
In the final version, Indy still has the grail diary in the same hand when he pulls himself up. His reactions would still have been the same if he had dealt with spiders. My guess is that they shot the scene from below the path in post production. Wouldn't have even needed Ford for it. Insert that one shot, take out the spiders, BAM. Fixed. That's my guess, anyway.
That's a pretty good guess, f*ckface!:p:D Only one of Indy's legs falls into the hole in the finished film, yet his entire body somehow drops into the cavern in the very next shot. It appears that the spider scene was replaced with 1 shot of a stuntman & special effects. Insert that bit within some crafty editing and?voilà.

Udvarnoky

That's a good point. Depending on how the original version was staged, it could have just been that one shot of the chasm that got plugged in. If you look at the scene under that assumption, the fact that Harrison's reaction after pulling himself himself back to safety seems to amount to backing away and checking his feet seems more glaring.