Fury

Joe Brody

Let's face it, we all got gypped by Inglorious Basterds.

For one thing, we didn't get the great Basterds action story we were looking for.

And equally important, the good Mr. Tarantino shortchanged us all on a great performance from Brad Pitt. Why? Tarantino decided to give all the screen time to his special lady friends and Christoph Walz. I can't blame him, so best thing to do is just move on.

Problem is, with Pitt's performance in Basterds, one had to wonder what were the chances of Pitt doing another WWII movie or even another war flic? Most of Pitt's picks since Basterds indicate a man "who accepts the coming of age with grace and dignity." (quick: what Disney movie?) I'm talking Moneyball and Tree of Life here (the later is growing on my btw). Let's face it, even WWZ is watered down zombie fare -- and all I could think of watching that film was that Pitt needed a haircut.

Anyway, the good news is that he did and it seems that he went and made the WWII movie I've been waiting for Fury. I can't wait.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-OGvZoIrXpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy's brother

To be honest, I don't know what you are talking about. I thought Basterds was perfect, Pitt was in it, but he wasn't meant to be the star, it's not really his story but the story of the Basterds intertwined with Shosanna's. If you want more Pitt, that's fine, but I wouldn't say that Tarantino short-changed audiences with that film at all.

Joe Brody

Indy's brother said:
To be honest, I don't know what you are talking about. I thought Basterds was perfect, Pitt was in it, but he wasn't meant to be the star, it's not really his story but the story of the Basterds intertwined with Shosanna's. If you want more Pitt, that's fine, but I wouldn't say that Tarantino short-changed audiences with that film at all.

On your last point, go to Google, type in "brad pitt screen time" and see what film Google's algorithm plugs in -- and remember the guy has an extensive filmography.

And your earlier point about him not being the star?

The poster for the film on imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1378256896/tt0361748?ref_=tt_ov_i

iu

Yeah, that one.

. . .and speaking of imdb, who has top billing on the script? The guy in front of Ms. Laurent and Mr. Walz?

Last edited:

roundshort

Ok first thing thing - Parent Trap

Ok now the meat-
I agree with Joe. All the previews shovels Pitt down your throat and the promotion was about Pitt and the Bastard. I do think we were short changed and as a result IG is not that rewatchable as other QT movies like Pulp or Django. I am a huge QT fan but IG is in the bottom half

I wouldn't get my hopes up that this will be the Nazi bashing you are hoping for. It looks a little touchy feely. I do like the graphic use of mud. Anyone who has ever been with some tankers in the mud knows how nasty it is!

Montana Smith

roundshort said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up that this will be the Nazi bashing you are hoping for.

And it has nothing to do with Sgt. Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos either.

Sounds like a bait and switch!

Pale Horse

Staff member
I clicked this thread hoping to read a Joe Brody discourse on how this movie better sums up the political undertones of Obama's failed forgein relations policies in the middle east. You know the one where we think we won the war, but it fact, many more people still have to die before it's over?

Oh well, maybe later.

roundshort

Montana Smith said:
And it has nothing to do with Sgt. Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos either.

Sounds like a bait and switch!

Wait, please tell me Fury is NOT released to yet another Marvel comic movie.... I was hoping the Pitt movie the OP is about was NOT howling Fury and his commando guys... Now that would be a nasty switch.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
I do like the graphic use of mud. Anyone who has ever been with some tankers in the mud knows how nasty it is!

The mud cam work resonated with me too. All the dirt and debris on the tank as well. I also like Pitt's swagger and sporting the E-6 stripes. Notably, Bogart in a similar role in Sahara was an E-8 as a tank commander in North Africa. One has to wonder if Pitt got knocked down or denied promotion somewhere along the line if his character's been in it since the beginning and he's only an E-6 by the end of the war.

hqdefault.jpg

Pale Horse said:
I clicked this thread hoping to read a Joe Brody discourse on how this movie better sums up the political undertones of Obama's failed forgein relations policies in the middle east. You know the one where we think we won the war, but it fact, many more people still have to die before it's over?

Oh well, maybe later.

[joking political interpretation]As opposed to Middle East failings, given the European setting, I think this is a Left coast rebuke on the Obama administration failing to anticipate and prepare for the Russian resurgence. Pitt's character sounds like he's preaching constant war. Since the end of our involvement in Iraq and our steady withdrawal, all the U.S. has done is go into shell -- with the formation of Arica Command being the exception. Only history will tell if we've made a collective failure to let Russia go as far as it has.

roundshort

It woudl be nice if this movie is NOT a CGI S**T storm like saving private ryan (sticky bombs....) and hits big at the box office and we will start seeing more big budget war flicks that are not superhero movies. But I am wary "300 vs 5" the last few seconds makes want to dig out my old Artari 2600 and play tank command...

I am still holding my breath for a Rat Patrol reboot (I am thinking 3 kings meets Rat Patrol set in WWII.

"Who was there, Sarge? You or me?"

oh and Pale, don't get me started on the failed FP, but be careful. Our failures go way before the big O took office. These failures are set in Play by the R squared

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Also it has Shia in it? Ugh. He is the Jar Jar of the Indy movies. Just worse than Jar Jar

Interesting to say it but I've watched the trailer a few times and everything about his performance looks solid -- his physical control, his voice, appearance. I'm going to give Oddball a chance.

. . . and quick aside on sticky bombs. I don't think Spielberg can control himself sometimes. O.K. sticky bombs may well have been in the field manual, I get that. But the critical error was to actually use it in the film AND to have that line delivered by Tom Hanks. Any seasoned film maker should have known that the combination was a non-starter.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
oh and Pale, don't get me started on the failed FP, but be careful. Our failures go way before the big O took office. These failures are set in Play by the R squared

To be sure, there was quick money to be made after 9/11, and the why's could be discussed at length over a 2007 Jonata Syrah, but the only reason I brought it up was because of JB's commentary, particularly HERE.

The Man with the Plan said:
I've got to hand it to Disney, the political commentary was cutting and spot-on -- squarely addressing the post-9/11 buildup and the drone wars. It's head and shoulders above the MI and Bourne franchises in terms of relevance and commentary. It really is a film for our time and place.

I thought he might elucidite again for us. Alas, I'm left wonting.

Grizzlor

I had zero complaints over I.B., only that the film ended! Hope to see Pitt's new movie as well, I am a big fan of his movies, they are usually very good.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
I thought he might elucidite again for us. Alas, I'm left wonting.

Alas, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Or in this case, a tank movie is just that -- with Shia thrown in for good measure.

Joe Brody

Forgive the back-to-back post.

For what it's worth, this October offers an interesting opportunity to compare upper end talent.

On one hand, we have Brad Pitt in the aforementioned Fury. On the other we have Ben Affleck in David Fincher's adaptation of Gone Girl.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/esGn-xKFZdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch both trailers. I can easily see Pitt playing the leading role in Gone Girl (he passed on the role and has worked with Fincher in the past), but I can't see Affleck pulling off the leading role in Fury.

Again, for what it's worth. Also, I'm not calling Affleck talented -- only that he's a leading man and it's interesting to compare him against a true talent.

Echoing what I've said before: we are really lucky that Fury came along and that Pitt took the part.

. . .and it's nice to see Rosamund Pike getting work. I"ve been a fan since Pride & Prejudice.

Last edited:

kongisking

Rather amazed this movie isn't being automatically dismissed across the board for featuring LaBeouf. Then again, I'm rather amazed that there's not a 'Let's Find Shia And Kill 'Em!' thread yet either, so...

Duaner

I just saw the movie last night and absolutely loved it! Of course, I am a sucker for WWII films. I was completely absorbed in the action throughout. And if I must say, Shia actually gave a solid performance! I think it is my favorite film of 2014 thus far.

HenryJunior

Absolutely fantastic! Every Indy fan should go see this, it's truly a marvel. Even though it's a war movie it manages to be simpler and more to the point than the Tent-pole Summer Blockbuster Extravaganzas we're used to as of late. Sure it has it's big climax, but it's not blown out of proportion.

It's nice to have this movie after some of the more lighter fare we've had with Redtails and Monument's Men. DO NOT let this be a "meh, I'll rent it later", this has to be seen in the theater.

Excellent performances all around, and yet more evidence Shia is a more than capable actor. Mutt hate I can understand, but the Shia hate really needs to end, seriously just go see this movie.

I'm gonna go see this again now that my heart has calmed down a bit :gun:

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Absolutely fantastic! Every Indy fan should go see this, it's truly a marvel. Even though it's a war movie it manages to be simpler and more to the point than the Tent-pole Summer Blockbuster Extravaganzas we're used to as of late. Sure it has it's big climax, but it's not blown out of proportion.

It's nice to have this movie after some of the more lighter fare we've had with Redtails and Monument's Men. DO NOT let this be a "meh, I'll rent it later", this has to be seen in the theater.

Excellent performances all around, and yet more evidence Shia is a more than capable actor. Mutt hate I can understand, but the Shia hate really needs to end, seriously just go see this movie.

I'm gonna go see this again now that my heart has calmed down a bit :gun:

That good? Holy...