TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #426
patchcamel
IndyFan

I am new to The Raven and Stoo, I just wanted to say thanks for uploading the bookends of Old Indy. I never got to see the series when it was new, so this was my first time seeing George Hall as old Indy. I have all three of the DVD collections of TYIJC and really wish they had left these in there, but since they didn't I am glad you were able to upload them for all to enjoy! You definitley possess the spirit of Indy sir!
patchcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #427
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCUBUSRATM
Thanks for the information and the welcome! So far I'm loving it here!
Good to hear, Incubus! Hopefully, you will stick around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchcamel
I am new to The Raven and Stoo, I just wanted to say thanks for uploading the bookends of Old Indy. I never got to see the series when it was new, so this was my first time seeing George Hall as old Indy. I have all three of the DVD collections of TYIJC and really wish they had left these in there, but since they didn't I am glad you were able to upload them for all to enjoy! You definitley possess the spirit of Indy sir!
Really glad that you enjoyed the bookends, PatchCamel. To a large number of fans, the portrayal of Old Indy is not ideal but I think the segments are special because they add another dimension to the TV stories (and have now been relegated into the 'rare footage' category...which makes them extra special).

Welcome to The Raven, Patchcamel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Hey Stoo, when do you think you'll be ready to upload the next edition of The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles? You've mentioned you're saving them for a rainy day, what qualifies? The end of the world? Suffice to say, as the meteors rain down and the ocean slowly rises, and allowing that my internet connection still survives, then at least the apocolypse will have a silver lining...
Hi, Jeremiah. Good to see/read you again! The rainy day is approaching but, unfortunately, there has been a setback (my computer was stolen a few months ago) so I need to rebuild certain elements. (The Peking 1910/Thanksgiving bookends are ready to go but they will be the LAST.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Still though. Apart from the deaths of us all, I am looking forward to seeing what Indy's up to next.
Here is what Old Indy is up to next:

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #428
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 14

Some of you may have watched the French version posted on YouTube by Bestbuyextras221 but at long last...Here it is in English.

Old Indy is hanging out at a seedy bar and his story brings tears to the eyes of a tough, biker chick.

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 14

(I only had a grainy recording of the episode in French so many thanks to Fommes for providing me with the English version for this RARE episode.)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #429
Demitasse
IndyFan

Our rainy day has come at last! (Oddly enough, it actually is raining here in Toronto!) Thanks a-million Stoo!!!
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #430
Falcon
IndyFan

Thanks, Stoo. What a treat!
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #431
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Hey Stoo - when I try and watch the Old Indy videos on YouTube from either my iPhone or iPad, I get a popup: "The author of this video does not allow playback on iPad". Is there an option you need to set to allow transcoding?
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #432
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
...Here it is in English.[/b])
Thanks boy-o, another important find/post and appreciated courtesy.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #433
Stoo
IndyFan

@ Demitasse: You are very welcome, HalfCup! 'Twas LONG overdue but the rainy day finally arrived. It was raining here as well.

@ Falcon: Glad you appreciated it, Mr. Falcon. I realize now that what I should have done was use the English audio and combine it with the French video in order to get an English version without subtitles.

@ Rocket Surgeon: My pleasure, boy-O. Hey, Rocket, it's another New Jersey chapter! (So is the forthcoming Part 15.)

@ InexorableTash: Hmm...Under the 'Syndication' tab, there are these 2 options:

-Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV. Note, the video may not be available on all devices due to copyright or licensing issues.
-No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV.

I've had them all set to the "No" option but changed it to "Yes" for Part 14. Try watching it now and see if it works. (If so, I'll change the others.)

===
FOR THE RECORD, the person to thank for the "Florence" bookends is Fommes since he provided the English version. Without him, my collection would not be complete so...Hats off to Fommes!

What inspired me to upload this chapter was seeing a dark green, 1952 Plymouth drive by last week. It was EXACTLY the same as Old Indy's and, believe or not, the driver was even wearing a brimmed hat! This is something you don't see driving down the road everyday and the fact that it (a 60 year old American car) was over here in Switzerland made it even more freaky.

The next pair of bookends (and LAST in The Old Indy Chronicles) takes place on American Thanksgiving, so expect to see them in 3 months (November 24th to be precise).
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #434
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
I've had them all set to the "No" option but changed it to "Yes" for Part 14. Try watching it now and see if it works. (If so, I'll change the others.)

Success! Please apply the change to the other chapters.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #435
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Thank you so much for uploading this video Stoo! I was waiting so patiently and I guess it's true that good things come to those who wait.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #436
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieJones
Thank you so much for uploading this video Stoo! I was waiting so patiently and I guess it's true that good things come to those who wait.
Very welcome, Annie. You waited patiently for a whole year! Last summer, 2010, I went to Florence for the 1st time so I've found a new appreciation for Old Indy's dialogue when he says:

"Florence, Italy. The most romantic city where everyone was in love with someone...or maybe just in love with love."
Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
Success! Please apply the change to the other chapters.
Done. Let me know if you have any probelms with the others, Tash.

QUESTION TO ALL: What game of pool/billiards is being played? 9 balls in a diamond-shaped pattern. Low balls (1-8) on the outside + a high ball (9) in the centre.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #437
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

Stoo, Thanks for posting the "Old Indy" clips.

I was surprised to see Jane Wyatt appear in one, I remember her from "Lost Horizon".

Indy had a cat?

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #438
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBoyd8
Stoo, Thanks for posting the "Old Indy" clips.

I was surprised to see Jane Wyatt appear in one, I remember her from "Lost Horizon".
You're welcome, Mr. Boyd. Yes, Jane Wyatt. It's been ages since I've seen "Lost Horizon", but during an overseas flight recently, I saw her in a rare western, "Canadian Pacific" from 1949, where she played the love interest of famous cowboy actor, Randolph Scott. She is probably the only actress/actor of note to appear in any of the Old Indy segments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBoyd8
Indy had a cat?
Indy having a cat makes me laugh, especially since its name is Henry. Speaking of which...

The bookends at the psychiatrist's office, where he talks about trying to get his cat down from a tree, is the only time where the name, "Indiana Jones", is mentioned...and it's he, himself, who says it. (Though, in the "London" bookends, Old Vicky/Jane Wyatt does indeed call him, Indy.)

Everyone else calls him, Dr. Jones, Professor Jones, Mr. Jones, Henry, Dad, Grandpa, Gramps, Sir, Mister, Mack, Dude, Old Man, Old-Timer, Old Coot, etc....but never "Indiana".

By the time the '90s rolled around, Indiana Jones had become a forgotten hero.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #439
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
The bookends at the psychiatrist's office, where he talks about trying to get his cat down from a tree, is the only time where the name, "Indiana Jones", is mentioned...and it's he, himself, who says it. (Though, in the "London" bookends, Old Vicky/Jane Wyatt does indeed call him, Indy.)

Everyone else calls him, Dr. Jones, Professor Jones, Mr. Jones, Henry, Dad, Grandpa, Gramps, Sir, Mister, Mack, Dude, Old Man, Old-Timer, Old Coot, etc....but never "Indiana".

By the time the '90s rolled around, Indiana Jones had become a forgotten hero.

Kind of like KOTCS when you think about it.... Maybe George was turning Harrison Indy into George Hall Old Indy in a way, you know hinting at it.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #440
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Kind of like KOTCS when you think about it.... Maybe George was turning Harrison Indy into George Hall Old Indy in a way, you know hinting at it.
I'd like to think so (but know that many people wouldn't). How cool would it be if a 5th film eventually gets made and it shows Indy already wearing an eye patch?

Hey, OldIndy2323, what did you think about my Staten Island theory? (Post #420)
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #441
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

Hey Stoo,

First, another great job with your bookends! I can't wait for the most important one (in my "Indy's family" obsessed mind): Thanksgiving '93.

Second, I completely agree the eye patch should make a movie appearance. The long forgotten "Sword of Arthur" script had a nice way of revealing the patch and scar at the end of the "movie": the final minutes of the movie are a slow pan into Indy's classroom, with his back to the class /audience as he writes on the board. Turning around reveals his long scar and eye patch. Lucas has mentioned something about "no one wants to see a 'damaged' Indy", but maybe he'll make this essential connection to YIJC, kind of like he slipped in the "Pancho Villa" story in KOTCS

Finally, you have some pretty convincing evidence for Staten Island. I still maintain that the quote, "just across the river" is in reference to where he was living in the present, as it comes after he asks where the boys are from. I agree that the hospital is Indy's local hospital and that the cops are New York cops, but the bowling shirt could just be Mike's favorite shirt from when he lived on Staten Island, nothing suggests he was in the middle of bowling when his trip to the emergency room happened. I think I would need to find an area of Staten Island that resembles the exteriors of Indy's daughter's house to finally convince me; having been on Staten Island frequently and not having come across any area that looks like Indy's street.
What we need to do is get George Lucas or the YIJC writers to tell us where they meant to set Old Indy's life.
OldIndy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #442
Stoo
IndyFan

1) That is the pair that many folks have been very curious to see which is why they've been saved for last. Kind of like the icing on the cake...though they are far from the best bookends. Since they aired near the end of the series (after most viewers stopped watching) very few fans have seen them. November is approaching so sit tight, OldIndy2323!

2) Not sure if you're aware but the "Sword of Arthur" script was debunked as a fake. It's fan-faction. (See this thread: The Jeff Boam 1995 script - post #11.) That said, it would awesome to see Harrison with the eye patch & scar!

3) The line, "I'm from just across the river" is really ambiguous. It's hard to tell if Indy means it is where he was born or where he presently lives. Your propostion of Nanuet, NY is not "just across the river" but Staten Island is.

As far as the houses & streets of Staten Island, I'll have to bow to you in that area because you are more familiar with it then I am. The Staten Island theory might not correspond visually with the real-life borough but the location fits geographically.

-"just across the river" (Curse of the Jackal)
-Local hospital (Geman East Africa)
-New York City police at the hospital (Geman East Africa)
-New York State license plates on Indy's car (Princeton 1916 & Northern Italy)
-Mike's bowling shirt (Geman East Africa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIndy2323
I agree that the hospital is Indy's local hospital and that the cops are New York cops, but the bowling shirt could just be Mike's favorite shirt from when he lived on Staten Island, nothing suggests he was in the middle of bowling when his trip to the emergency room happened.
Au contraire, 2323! Mike is at the hospital because his brother-in-law is being treated for a sprained wrist due to a bowling mishap that very night! He must have arrived directly from a local bowling alley. Listen to him complaining to Indy at the very beginning.

Mike: ...sprains his wrist. And on a weeknight! Oh-ho-ho, some brother-in-law I got. So I say to him, "Come on, Mr. P.H.D., let's go bowling. You can show the boys what you're made of." So what happens? He forgets to let go of the ball.
Quote:
What we need to do is get George Lucas or the YIJC writers to tell us where they meant to set Old Indy's life.
Like Kazim said in Last Crusade, "G_d be with you in your quest." We know who wrote the episodes but who wrote the bookends?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #443
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

Stoo,
I'm tipping my fedora to you for your incredibly thorough research. I guess the last two geographic pieces are the location of the local mall and a Hills supermarket to solidify your case. I currently have "top men" scoping the area to find if the exteriors can be matched anywhere on Staten Island; knowing my NY geography and housing style as I do, it's still really hard to fit Old Indy's house and block into anywhere other than Upstate NY. For now, I bow to your expertise.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #444
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
...knowing my NY geography and housing style as I do, it's still really hard to fit Old Indy's house and block into anywhere other than Upstate NY. For now, I bow to your expertise.
Having been to NYC & New Jersey several times and upstate NY even more, I can agree with you there, 2323. However, there is a solution to this conflict of evidence:

With the exception of the Halloween and Thanksgiving bookends, I based the title cards on the TV airdates which place Indy at the hospital in April 1992 but the 1st time we see him at home is March 1993.

By combining our 2 theories, we can say that sometime between May '92 and Februray '93, Old Indy sells his house/apartment on Staten Island and moves (with his cat) upstate to live with his family in Nanuet or farther north. (This fits perfectly with the April '93 bookends in the psychiartist's office where Indy talks about his family thinking he can no longer look after himself.) Voilà!

Too bad I can't replace the YouTube uploads with modified title cards because I would change some of them to read Nanuet!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #445
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

Stoo,
That's a fantastic idea!! In my completely speculative Old Indy timeline, I have Indy moving in with his daughter at an earlier date, but I'll be happy to combine our two theories and change my dates. And you're right, the move would put the "cat and tree" comment into an even more solid context. A fantstic compromise!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #446
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
Hey Stoo,
I think I would need to find an area of Staten Island that resembles the exteriors of Indy's daughter's house to finally convince me; having been on Staten Island frequently and not having come across any area that looks like Indy's street.

I'd point out that it probably shouldn't be expected that the visual appearance of an area dictates where it is set geographically on a TV show. Two of my favorite shows growing up were Roswell and Smallville, set in New Mexico and Kansas, respectively. Now, I've been to Kansas and I've been to Roswell, and neither of them looked anything like their television show counterparts...because they were filmed in California and Canada. But I wouldn't argue that they're set in California and Canada.

This happens a lot in the Indy films, too. The airport in Last Crusade was filmed in America and looks nothing like it's real-world counterpart.

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #447
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

One of my favorite television shows was "Route 66"
which ran from 1960 to 1964.

It was about two guys who drove around the United States
taking odd jobs and getting into adventures.

The episodes were filmed on location, so if a story was set in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, that is where it was filmed.

The first three seasons of the show are out on DVD,
and there are fan clubs which try to match the
early 1960's locations to modern locations.

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #448
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonCard
I'd point out that it probably shouldn't be expected that the visual appearance of an area dictates where it is set geographically on a TV show. Two of my favorite shows growing up were Roswell and Smallville, set in New Mexico and Kansas, respectively. Now, I've been to Kansas and I've been to Roswell, and neither of them looked anything like television show counterparts...because they were filmed in California and Canada. But I wouldn't argue that they're set in California and Canada.
Must agree with you, Talon Card. Old Indy's neighbourhood may not look like Staten Island but it's the only location that makes sense when all the clues are taken into account.

---
In other news, next week is American Thanksgiving so, as promised, I'll be uploading the Thankgiving bookends in the next few days. It will be the last chapter of the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles".
Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #449
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Finally! The comic version of these scenes really aren't all that much to go on.

But come on, Stoo. I seem to recall you do have one other audio visual piece that you happen to have up your sleeve..... Still saving that for a rainy day?
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #450
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Finally! The comic version of these scenes really aren't all that much to go on.
That comic issue is something you own that I don't!
Quote:
But come on, Stoo. I seem to recall you do have one other audio visual piece that you happen to have up your sleeve..... Still saving that for a rainy day?
After the Peking bookends are uploaded, the only other Old Indy footage that remains is the missing 10-15 seconds of the opening Austria bookend and the alternate shots from the opening bookend of "Scandal of 1920". (Not sure yet how these items should be presented.)

Otherwise, I'll be moving on to upload all the scenes & shots that were cut out (or digitally modified) from the VHS/DVD re-edits.