Should I sell a creative-property to Warner Bros or Disney & why?

James-Bean

This obviously wouldn't happen anytime soon, but I one day plan on cleaning my-hands of a character & the franchise surrounding him or her (that I don't care for too much) by selling off this franchise to a major Hollywood film-studio (E.G. George Lucas selling Indiana Jones & Star Wars to Disney.)

Which of these two companies do you guys think that I should sell this character to, Warner Bros or Disney and why?

InexorableTash

Intriguing question.

The three factors that occur to me are (1) immediate return i.e. how much $$$ do you get immediately, (2) return over time, i.e. royalties/residuals, and (3) future of the intellectual property, i.e. will it be lost in a filing cabinet or be a major franchise for decades to come.

Sounds like #2 is non-issue ("cleaning my hands"). #3 is probably a crap shoot. Disney has things like Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and Princess-of-the-year which let them print money, so in theory little interest in taking the risk with anything new. But they do from time to time, yet it's still a crap-shoot. John Carter, Narnia, and The Rocketeer are just some of the genre films that had potential and Disney tried but fumbled for various reasons.

No opinions about WB other than they are not Disney. Less predictable all around.