making of - books

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Hi,

I'm searching for 'making of'/ 'behind the scenes' books of the Indy movies.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks,

Ayrun

westford

I don't think there are any books that deal specifically with the making of Indy. There's at least one book on LucasFilm with behind the scenes stuff from Indy, Star Wars, etc. I expect there are similar books dealing with Spelberg's films.

But if anyone else knows of something I've missed, let us know so I can get a copy too!

Adventurer

There is one book that deals with the making on an Indiana Jones film. It's called "The making of Raiders of the Lost Ark " by Derek Taylor. You may find it here: Amazon.com link.
I don't know why the title at Amazon is so messed up, but it seems to be the right one. Its also listed right here at TheRaiders: http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/making_8_bibliography.php

There's a bit more. It's called Cinefex. As far as i know the magazine by other issues, it is probably the most detailed insight at least in special effects you can get. The magazine has three issues covering Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade. The only downside (or not, depends :) ) is, it is about special/visual effects only. You won't get any or little info on preproduction, script stage, music composition or things like that. And it does not hurt if you know a thing or two about effects in general. I have to say (very, very unfortunately) that I do not own the issues in question myself, because the shipping would be, umm, difficult. But if the quality of the magazine stayed the same over the years, it is very good. Certainly also because it is nearly unrivaled.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Canyon said:
Aryun, have a look on e-bay as the usually have what you're looking for here. :D

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...+&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

I visit ebay regularly, but they're not really heavy on the descriptions, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some books.

Adventurer said:
There is one book that deals with the making on an Indiana Jones film. It's called "The making of Raiders of the Lost Ark " by Derek Taylor. You may find it here: Amazon.com link.
I don't know why the title at Amazon is so messed up, but it seems to be the right one. Its also listed right here at TheRaiders: http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/making_8_bibliography.php

There's a bit more. It's called Cinefex. As far as i know the magazine by other issues, it is probably the most detailed insight at least in special effects you can get. The magazine has three issues covering Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade. The only downside (or not, depends :) ) is, it is about special/visual effects only. You won't get any or little info on preproduction, script stage, music composition or things like that. And it does not hurt if you know a thing or two about effects in general. I have to say (very, very unfortunately) that I do not own the issues in question myself, because the shipping would be, umm, difficult. But if the quality of the magazine stayed the same over the years, it is very good. Certainly also because it is nearly unrivaled.

Thanks for the link on amazon, Adventurer.
I'll check out that list and cinefex.com.

Thanks for your reactions!

Ayrun