TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #26
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
The first trailer, which made a brief appearance on internet a few weeks ago, then disappeared, is again available here.

Charlie Hunnam definitely looks the part, and overall the trailer is very promising, despite the fact that clearly some aspects of the story were modified to fit the expectations and sensibilities of modern moviegoers, as is often the case with this type of adaptation.

Count me in.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #27
Stoo
IndyFan

Thank you, Z Dweller! I cannot believe this movie is nearly upon us. FINALLY!

The guy with the topi helmet looks a heck of a lot more like the real Fawcett than C.Hunnam does but I'm not complaining. The film looks much classier than I thought it would be.

Bring it on!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #28
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Thank you, Z Dweller! I cannot believe this movie is nearly upon us. FINALLY!

The film looks much classier than I thought it would be.

Bring it on!
Pleasure, Stoo.

As you can probably gather from my chosen Raven name, I am a huge Fawcett fan.
I am also looking forward to this movie, and like yourself was pleasantly surprised with the trailer.

However, having read both the Gann book and "Exploration Fawcett", as well as watched many documentaries about the Colonel, I know that part of me will inevitably be disappointed with the way his personality and adventures are likely to be portrayed in a movie aimed at today's popcorn crowd.

Fawcett ≠ Indy...

At the same time, I accept that there are constraints and limitations inherent to the movie medium, so yes, bring it on.
I was always going to watch it anyway!

Quote:
The guy with the topi helmet looks a heck of a lot more like the real Fawcett than C.Hunnam does but I'm not complaining.
Could be worse though, we could have got Brad Pitt with a fake British accent, now THAT would have definitely put me off!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #29
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

Looks like it could be an interesting movie.

thanks for the link
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
As you can probably gather from my chosen Raven name, I am a huge Fawcett fan.
Don't know why I never made the connection before! Cool name. So...being a Z dweller, are you a redhead?

I haven't read Grann's book yet but did read his lengthy article in "The New Yorker" and all of the expeditions to find Fawcett, including his own, are just as fascinating. Without a doubt, this film will boost sales of his book (& "Exploration Fawcett").

Yes, it looks like certain aspects have been sensationalized (one glaring example is Fawcett as an infantry officer in WW1 instead of artillery) but I don't really mind because I'm just glad this thing was finally made. Overall, it appears to be treating the subject matter with respect. We'll have to wait & see...
Quote:
Could be worse though, we could have got Brad Pitt with a fake British accent, now THAT would have definitely put me off!
Agreed. Even though Brad Pitt is a worthy actor, he doesn't fit. Too bad the Benedict Cumberbatch announcement didn't follow through because he looks the part much better.

Indiana Jones (& "Star Wars") connection: Ian McDiarmid is in this.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #31
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
So...being a Z dweller, are you a redhead?
I could tell you, but I’d have to kill you.

However, a clue to the identity of those you speak of can be found hidden in this riddle (along with a couple of red herrings, just for good measure).

beL●evE me y●U may, Or ●●u maY no●, but mas is mOre and cero iS na●●ht

I wonder if the answer will actually feature in the movie? We shall see…
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #32
Z dweller
IndyFan

World premiere on October 15.

James Gray's 'The Lost City of Z' to Close New York Film Festival

Last edited by Z dweller : 08-21-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #33
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I read the book when it came out and couldn't put it down. I even read Fawcett's journal afterward and it shed even more light into who he was and all of his exploits. I'm typically not a fan of films like this because they tend to downplay the history in favor of the usual Hollywood tropes, though I remain hopeful they can do this one justice.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 AM   #34
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

The first reviews are trickling out of the New York Film Festival, and they are starting off quite positive. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd McCarthy
The compelling and quixotic true story of a British army officer who, a century ago, ventured into uncharted realms of South American jungle in search of a presumed ancient civilization, The Lost City of Z is a rare piece of contemporary classical cinema; its virtues of methodical storytelling, traditional style and obsessive theme are ones that would have been recognized and embraced anytime from the 1930s through the 1970s. Whether they will be properly valued by more speed-minded modern audiences will only become known when this immaculate production is released next spring, a half-year after its world premiere as the closing night attraction at this year's New York Film Festival.

Full review: 'Lost City of Z': NYFF Review

Variety: 'The Lost City of Z' review from the New York Film Festival

There's also an official release date: The flick will make it's debut stateside on 21 April 2017. Polish up the pith helmets and square your compasses!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #35
Moedred
Administrator

Amazon Studios comes full circle.

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #36
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
The first reviews are trickling out of the New York Film Festival, and they are starting off quite positive. From The Hollywood Reporter:
There's also an official release date: The flick will make it's debut stateside on 21 April 2017. Polish up the pith helmets and square your compasses!
Can't wait for April 21st! This was comforting to read from The Hollywood Reporter:

"It also refrains from going in other possible directions, such as inventing adventures that didn't happen or attaching a fashionable modern ideological agenda about the white man's incursion into a native population's turf."

---
Speaking of pith helmets, here are some screengrabs of Albert De Winton from the serial, "King of the Wild" (1931). Three years after it was released, he would disappear in the Brazilian jungle while searching for Fawcett:

Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Trailer.

Definitely looks interesting. Cool to see in Ian McDiarmid in something again, too. I'd love to see him in more movies.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #38
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

It's probably going to bomb too now that the MPAA has slapped the dreaded R-rating on the picture. I don't imagine a lot of adults scampering to their local cineplexes for this one unless there's a healthy dose of the preternatural hidden amongst the Brazilian rainforest.

Full article: Brad Pitt's 'Lost City of Z' loses appeal to overturn R Rating

There's not much detail in the article regarding the whys and what fors, but the ratings board felt its R-rating was deserved because of "brief violence". The producers and director were unable to convince them otherwise.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #39
curmudgeon
IndyFan

They've since "edited for rerate after appeal" in order to get the PG-13.

http://filmratings.com/search.html?f...y+of+z&x=0&y=0

I won't begin to speculate on how or whether its box office prospects have changed by that. I'll just say that IF it opens widely enough to reach my hometown theater, I'll buy a ticket.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #40
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

It was never a movie for children to begin with, so I don't see the problem with an r rating.
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #41
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones VII
It was never a movie for children to begin with, so I don't see the problem with an r rating.

The people who put up the money care deeply. For all the ranting and raving about what 'they' want to see, adults don't go to movies. For every Mad Max there are a dozen Crimson Peaks, a handful of The Nice Guys, Conan the Barbarians, Zodiacs, and Kingdom of Heavens.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #42
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I don't care what the rating is as long as it's good.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #43
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
I don't care what the rating is as long as it's good.

But the point that Le Saboteur is quite properly making is that this movie can't be a financial success with its audience limited by an R rating. As such, we get fewer movies like it.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #44
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
But the point that Le Saboteur is quite properly making is that this movie can't be a financial success with its audience limited by an R rating. As such, we get fewer movies like it.

I get that and it's totally understandable. I just worry about studios watering down films for fear they won't be able to market them to everyone.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #45
Z dweller
IndyFan

A good movie, beautifully shot and well acted.

As a standalone piece of storytelling it totally delivers, despite several historical inaccuracies (which won't bother those who haven't read the books).

I'll stop here for now, to avoid spoilers. Check it out and post your own comments, there's so much more to say!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
Z dweller
IndyFan

SERIOUSLY?

A month since this movie opened in the U.S. and no other Ravener went to see it or cares to comment?

Come on guys, what is the matter with you?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 AM   #47
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Come on guys, what is the matter with you?

You're all too busy waxing effusive on the twaddle that is the new Blade Runner. And if I think about it, I don't recall you watching and commenting on this one. It's just as deserving as this thread.

That said, I'll offer a couple quick thoughts now that I've had occasion to check out the flick over the long weekend.

Darius Khondji continues to do excellent work. I've liked his output since The Ninth Gate, and I don't think anybody is able to harness light in quite the same way. Disney-Lucasfilm would do well to kick Kaminski to the curb and allow Khondji to lens any future Indy-like projects.

James Gray and his team continue to be deft hands at... world building for lack of a better term. Rather than feeling like costumes that the actors merely donned, everything feels lived in. Like it's something right out of the actor's closet.

The sense of scale one gets from shooting on location cannot be replicated on a soundstage or in a computer, and The Lost City of Z reinforces this notion.

I was glad they included James Murray. Despite being a right bastard, his early experiences in the jungle brought back some fond personal memories.

Any further critique will have to wait. It's late.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #48
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
the twaddle that is the new Blade Runner.
Just like that? Rejected a priori?
Why?
Tell us more please, in the relevant thread.

Quote:
And if I think about it, I don't recall you watching and commenting on this one. It's just as deserving as this thread.
As deserving, possibly (guilty as charged of not watching it yet).
As pertinent to the explorer/adventurer/archaelogist hero lore which is the main focus of these boards, not a chance.

Quote:
Any further critique will have to wait. It's late.
I'll be looking forward to your further comments.
And I think the movie has been out long enough for either of us to worry about spoilers now, so fire away!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #49
Stoo
IndyFan

Lightbulb Now Available on DVD & Blu-ray

Imagine my surprise the other day when I walked into a Best Buy and saw the DVD staring at me from the shelves. That sure didn't take long!

It has a DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy all in the same package and includes a bonus feature titled, "Locating the Lost City".

Will be watching it for the 1st time this weekend with a friend.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #50
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Will be watching it for the 1st time this weekend with a friend.
Great, let us have your comments Stoo!

Disappointingly, not many Raveners seem to have watched this movie, so far...