Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
New trailer due very soon for this.

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #154
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Deckard gets a lot more airtime in this second trailer.

"We were being hunted!"
Does he mean "Rachael and me", or "us replicants"?

We shall see...
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #155
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
That's a mind-boggling statement. If your frequent collaborator is coming off two straight years of receiving an Oscar nomination for his film scores, why would you look elsewhere? It does not get much "better" than that.
Oh yes, it does!

Johannsson out, Zimmer in.

The mind boggles - not!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #156
Z dweller
IndyFan

Not long to go now!

Meanwhile, to help tide us over until October 6, Villeneuve asked some friends to shoot three short prequels, which take place just before the events of the new movie.

You can check the first two here and here.

And should we believe this rumor? Personally, I don't - but it's intriguing...
Sean Young secretly filmed scenes for 'Blade Runner' sequel
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #157
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'd love to see them incorporate some more elements from the original novel. Things like Mercerism and people's obsession with owning real animals was largely ignored in Blade Runner and it would be great to see some of that become a focal point in this one.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #158
The Man
IndyFan

Dare we believe it's...possible?

Quote:
...one of the most mind-blowing films I've seen. It's breathtaking and transportive. Denis Villeneuve has a masterpiece.

Quote:
...next-level staggering. I'm still processing how good it is.

Quote:
Moved me even more than (the) classic original. Didn't think that (was) possible.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #159
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Dare we believe it's...possible?
OK, my excitement has now officially reached fever pitch.

Maybe Harry was actually serious with this.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #160
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
OK, my excitement has now officially reached fever pitch.

Maybe Harry was actually serious with this.

He may well have been.

With Villeneuve directing, Deakins lensing, and Ford's eulogizing over the script, I was genuinely hoping for a fine sci-fi yarn that didn't sully the mystique and ambiguities of the original. But these early reviews indicate that we might just have this generation's Blade Runner!

Let's just hope we don't get seven different cuts.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #161
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
He may well have been.

With Villeneuve directing, Deakins lensing, and Ford's eulogizing over the script, I was genuinely hoping for a fine sci-fi yarn that didn't sully the mystique and ambiguities of the original. But these early reviews indicate that we might just have this generation's Blade Runner!

Let's just hope we don't get seven different cuts.
Yes, there is every reason to be optimistic.

My main concern at this stage is about the music, which is a fundamental element of the original movie.

Even getting to close to Vangelis' sumptuous score would be a truly gargantuan achievement for any film composer, including the much revered Zimmer.

Some have already pointed out that he may be suffering from overexposure...
Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #162
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I went from hating the concept of this movie to being thrilled to see it next weekend. It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #163
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.slashfilm.com/harrison-fo...de-runner-2049
Ford can still land a punch! (Larger pic)

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #164
Z dweller
IndyFan

Wow... good find Mo !

I wouldn't want to see that expression on Indy's or Deckard's face , but it sure shows that Ford was really terrified that he might have injured Gosling...

Having seen that, I'd say that the whole bottle of whisky would have been an appropriate apology, not just a glass!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #165
Moedred
Administrator

"The name's Deckard."

"Deckard... Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, DECKARD! ...Rick Deckard?"

Sorry if that's a little too inside. Airplane II.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #166
Z dweller
IndyFan

Great interview with composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch about the challenges of scoring the film.

While their main aim was to come up with something completely new and appropriate to this second chapter in the story, they still went and dug out a specimen of the old CS80 synth used by Vangelis back in '82, in order to achieve some sonic consistency in key scenes.

Good stuff!

Got my tickets and can't wait for tomorrow...
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #167
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Great interview with composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch about the challenges of scoring the film.

While their main aim was to come up with something completely new and appropriate to this second chapter in the story, they still went and dug out a specimen of the old CS80 synth used by Vangelis back in '82, in order to achieve some sonic consistency in key scenes.

Good stuff!

Got my tickets and can't wait for tomorrow...

Sounds awesome. My wife and I are planning to see this weekend. We can't wait!
Old 10-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #168
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Really enjoyed it. It was one of those films (for me) where I came out of the cinema and wanted to see it again. Theres so much to take in that this definitely needs more than one viewing. Visually it looks amazing in every way and the performances are excellent throughout. I was totally spoiler free before going in and so I didn't expect the story we got and that surprised me in a good way. I can't remember the last film I went to see where it was so engrossing in concentrating on the details of everything on screen from the visuals through the dialogue and the story. Its really atmospheric and in a way its a real slow burner too, but not in a negative way though. Its running time allows it to build the story and allow those slow scenes to breathe and I think it makes it better for that.

Of the main leads the performances were really good. Jared Leto in particular is very creepy as the head of the company that took over Tyrells assetts. Ryan Gosling as the Blade Runner K carries the film easily and is very good in his conflicting emotions as the story unfolds around him, and in fact his character is doing some proper detective work in this and thats what the story is, a detective mystery thriller. Harrison Ford I thought was excellent and gives a very emotional performance in places too, not least in one particular scene where he really sells the emotion of it and overall makes an impact in this. The supporting characters are excellent too from the evil replicant Love, to K's captain and his holographic companion Joi and everyone in between.

Again much like the first one this film is about humanity and the replicants questioning their own humanity and their own soul and emotions. The plot of the story is a major spoiler and I won't reveal what it is, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like the first film it needs more than one viewing, the world it inhabites is fantastic, they really captured what made the first one so good in its lighting and sets, the performances are top notch, as is the score that captures the essence of the original too and the visuals are amazing too. Well worth seeing IMO.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #169
Z dweller
IndyFan

@Andy

Yes - a very good movie, which demands multiple viewings.

I agree with everything you said, except for the score, which IMO isn't as emotionally involving as it should be.

I understand why they went for that type of score, and cannot discuss it further right now because it would involve spoilers - but it's the only artistic choice I disliked.

But overall, a great effort.

I won't draw comparisons with the original yet - I need to watch this one again, but I came out of the theater feeling great about the whole thing, and it went way, way above my most optimistic expectations.

Mods, would it be ok to start a separate thread with spoilers, for those of us who already watched it to dissect and discuss, like we did with SW7?
Old 10-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #170
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Mods, would it be ok to start a separate thread with spoilers, for those of us who already watched it to dissect and discuss, like we did with SW7?

That's what these tags are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Second coming of Tom Hanks is a bad thing?

That's all I really have to say as sadly, I've yet to see Blade Runner. Been meaning to for a while.

Man, it seems like forever since I posted this! It's amazing how much can change in 9 years. Since then I've seen 6 of the 7 versions of the original as well as the sequel to Blade Runner that now exists instead of a remake.

I just saw it, and I'll simply say I'm surprised just how great it was. After The Force Awakens disappointed me quite a bit, I was prepared for disappointment here, glad to say it was satisfying through-out. Zimmer's score was annoying at times, but other than that I have no complaints.

Thank god it neither completely confirms or denies whether Deckard is a replicant!

Last edited by Forbidden Eye : 10-07-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #171
The Man
IndyFan

Only Harrison could get a robot pregnant.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #172
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Just got back from seeing it and absolutely loved it. It was everything I was hoping and more, not to mention Ford was on top of his game for this one. It's a great reminder that sequels, when made for love of the story and the craft, can be a good thing.

I was extremely skeptical of this film when it was first announced but they proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #173
Pale Horse

Quote:
Only Harrison could get a robot pregnant.

Am I the only one that thought that this film is this generations transgender answer to the Pinocchio classic? You know,; :Am I a real girl?"

All Kudos to Dennis, though. A well executed film. For what that's worth. It's art, to be sure. Cinematic Art. I applaud that. As to the rest, you can get it in my spoiler, but undoubtedly it'll piss some of you off.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #174
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Am I the only one that thought that this film is this generations transgender answer to the Pinocchio classic? You know,; :Am I a real girl?"

All Kudos to Dennis, though. A well executed film. For what that's worth. It's art, to be sure. Cinematic Art. I applaud that. As to the rest, you can get it in my spoiler, but undoubtedly it'll piss some of you off.
Actually, Horsie, I've seen that parallel drawn before on t'interweb. It's really hard to be original.

Which brings me to my next point: some on here had guessed the movie's main plot device many moons ago (SPOILER WARNING: don't click this link if you haven't seen the movie yet).

But it certainly did not prevent them from enjoying this sequel.
There are only so many way you can skin a cat, after all.

And when the story is wrapped in such a magnificent, immersive visual universe, does it really matter that much anyway?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #175
Pale Horse

Quote:
Actually, Horsie, I've seen that parallel drawn before on t'interweb. It's really hard to be original.

Which brings me to my next point: some on here had guessed the movie's main plot device many moons ago (SPOILER WARNING: don't click this link if you haven't seen the movie yet).

But it certainly did not prevent them from enjoying this sequel.
There are only so many way you can skin a cat, after all.

And when the story is wrapped in such a magnificent, immersive visual universe, does it really matter that much anyway?

T'was entertained, to be sure. And you're right. There are only 36 ways to skin a cat.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote