TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #51
jsarino
IndyFan

That is a nice price, but like you, too big for me to want to snatch it up. Someone give it a new home!
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #52
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
That is a nice price, but like you, too big for me to want to snatch it up. Someone give it a new home!

Agreed. It needs to be loved.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #53
Glenville86
IndyFan

I will be letting go of a Wested off the rack goat CS in size 48. Just worn in the house once.

Any member here without a jacket wear a 48?
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #54
lguerra
IndyFan

I have a cooper A2 Air Force bomber . Its a great jacket but I woul like to get one more in the Indy style!
lguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #55
Drones33
IndyFan

Steele & Jones

Enthusiastically awaiting the arrival of my new Steele & Jones Raiders jacket. "Can't wait" doesn't even come close...
Old 09-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #56
doppelganger
IndyFan

Joe Browns jacket.

Hi all. Ive got a Joe Browns jacket. No ive nevervheard of one either. It doesnt have action pleats but looks good from the front.

Gonna upgrade to a Wested at some point.

doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #57
Drones33
IndyFan

My new Steele & Jones Raiders

Ive had several Indy Jackets over the years, the most recent being a custom Last Crusade from Wested in copper novapelle (really nice, still very new looking though, I`ll post some picks shortly) and after seeing the difference between it and my `off the peg` 8 year old Wested goatskin i was intending to replace the latter with a Wested`s hero jacket in shrunken lamb. Then, and I could not believe my luck, I found this on ebay; a Steele & Jones Raiders jacket in super soft Merino Sheepskin, in, amazingly, exactly my size. I made an offer and snapped it up immediately,(Thanks Kev )and I`m delighted with it. Very light, drapes beautifully, first class.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #58
Glenville86
IndyFan

Good score on the S&J.

I have one on order.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #59
Drones33
IndyFan

I don't think you'll be disappointed
Old 10-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #60
doppelganger
IndyFan

Cant re-vote but I now have a cotton wested. Love the fit so its a pre distressed wested raiders on its way tomorrow.

Pics of the cotton jacket are in my Indy gear section if anyone is interested.
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #61
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger
Cant re-vote but I now have a cotton wested. Love the fit so its a pre distressed wested raiders on its way tomorrow.

Pics of the cotton jacket are in my Indy gear section if anyone is interested.
The cotton Wested looks really nice. Wife thinks I should get one for the summer since I insist on wearing an Indy jacket all year round. Maybe next year.
You must let us know what you think of your pre distressed Raiders when it arrives. Can't go wrong with Wested
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #62
Glenville86
IndyFan

I recently ordered a Wested Raiders jacket in black cowhide. The reason being is I have some black ankle boots that I almost never wear now as my Indy jackets are all shades of brown.

I don't like to mix different leather colors. I am old school where I wear black boots, black jacket, and black belt. Fedora can be black or any shade of grey. Same with browns.

Back in the day, I only had one pair of boots and one leather jacket and did not care. Having more clothing items now, I have to match.......
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #63
Texan Scott
IndyFan

I have owned most all the jacket offerings out there. A few of the most notable are the BK, and if you have one of the first generation Todd's jackets, those are probably his best. The leather he offers is more accurate today. Combine that with the old pattern, and you would have quite the jacket. His was arguably about the best deal for the money. Disappointed by the TN, owned two but the pocket snaps, etc., kept popping off. Thick hides too. One of the best Raiders I ever saw was a TN.

Used to have more than I needed, so I sold most all of them but have since paired it down to 3: G&B goat, a LC-ish Wested copper novapelle, and a Wested old stock shrunken lamb. The SL was dyed darker than those previous. It is very much like Peter described: veg tanned in the rough and pegged out to dry. So stiff it might stand up in the corner. Substantial leather. Caught a rainstorm recently and its breaking in nicely.
Texan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #64
Glenville86
IndyFan

I have a BK as well. Everything I read said the BK in SL was "The Jacket" but while I think it is a good jacket with excellent leather, it really does not impress me any more than some of my other jackets.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #65
Drones33
IndyFan

Custom made Last Crusade

Got this a few months ago from Wested; a custom made Last Crusade in copper novapelle. This is the first time I`d got one made to measure, and the difference is remarkable. The fit is great, as expected since its to my own specifications, but the thing that struck me most is the copper novapelle hide. Whilst its thick and very heavy, its also extremely soft giving it some really nice folds and creases in the arms and at the back. And the colour is tremendous; it has a deep, multi-tonal brown with, as the name suggests, coppery highlights around the seams and edges. If you`re thinking of investing in a jacket from Wested, I`d recommend paying that bit extra to have one custom made. In fact I was so impressed Ive ordered the Wested Raiders Hero in shrunken lamb. Very excited about that. Hope it arrives in time for my Christmas night out with the lads

Old 12-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #66
Major West
IndyFan

I really like the look of that Copper Novapelle

That still looks like an authentic colour to have on an Indy Jacket.

Tempted for for my next jacket to maybe go with that leather.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #67
Drones33
IndyFan

You won't be disappointed. It was quite pale when I first got it, almost dusty looking, but it's been rained on a few times since then, and I treated it with Pecards quite recently. Darkened it down nicely and, though it doesn't quite show up in the photos, really brought out the coppery brown under tones.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #68
Major West
IndyFan

My most recent jacket is a Wested Temple of Doom in Authentic Lambskin. Had it a few weeks. Size 42" Chest. 26 back, 25 sleeve (which is a tad too long, shoulda been a 24)

Both outer pockets get used all the time. The visible one on the left I keep my phone in, and due to the smaller pockets of the ToD jacket the flap does not close over it, in fact the flap sticks up straight. In the other IJ jackets of course the phone fits in the pocket and the flap closes.

Also, different lighting of course make the jacket look slightly different.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #69
Glenville86
IndyFan

My most recent Indy was an off the rack Raiders in distressed cowhide. I had one in the same leather awhile back that was in the sale section (Raiders Hero Jacket). I just did not like the fit of the Wested Hero and donated it to charity.

The old one was weird it that the leather almost looked spotted throughout the jacket. Light base with multiple dark spots.

The OTR one I just got is a uniform shade and looks like what a US Wings distressed cowhide/steerhide looks like. Way better looking leather on the batch the new Wested was made with.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #70
Major West
IndyFan

The sale Westeds are custom returns, so I reckon you'd be extremely lucky to get one that was a 100% good fit for you.

I've got an OTR Raiders and Crusade, both good fits. The ToD is custom, also a good fit. My measurements.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #71
bookman60
IndyFan

My Todd's.

bookman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #72
Drones33
IndyFan

[quote=Major West]My most recent jacket is a Wested Temple of Doom in Authentic Lambskin. Had it a few weeks. Size 42" Chest. 26 back, 25 sleeve (which is a tad too long, shoulda been a 24)

Both outer pockets get used all the time. The visible one on the left I keep my phone in, and due to the smaller pockets of the ToD jacket the flap does not close over it, in fact the flap sticks up straight. In the other IJ jackets of course the phone fits in the pocket and the flap closes.

Also, different lighting of course make the jacket look slightly different.

Great looking jacket Major, you wear it well

Bookman that's some nice weathering you have there.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #73
bookman60
IndyFan

Thank you Drones33.
bookman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #74
Major West
IndyFan

This is my OTR 42" Wested Raiders jacket in Brown Authentic Lambskin. However it's not the same material as the Brown authentic Lambskin on my LC and ToD jackets, both of which are much thicker and heavier leather. The lambskin on this Raiders jacket is very thin and bendy. The sleeves are like wearing leather shirt sleeves almost. It's very lightweight. Unzipped it just hangs off my torso. I wondered if it was actually Dark Brown Lambskin which I understand is thinner than Authentic Lambskin, but then why did they make an OTR Raiders jacket in that skin when they advertise Authentic Brown Lambskin? Not complaining at all, it's a great jacket and I like it. Just wanted to know what the leather actually is. Thoughts?

Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #75
Drones33
IndyFan

I think you may be right. Even in the photos its clear that your ToD is much thicker-looking. Wonder if its simply down to a particular batch of hide they used. Do you have a preference; the thicker of the thinner?