Lucas ponders Indy 5

Raiders90

Lucas is also considering what to do about the fifth instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise, which he has produced from the outset. The most recent film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, has taken almost $750m (£375m) at the international box office, and the whip-snapping archeologist remains in high demand, even though his own days as a whippersnapper are behind him (Harrison Ford is two years older than Lucas).

"We were hoping for box-office figures like that, which is, ultimately, with inflation, what the others have done, within 10%," Lucas explains. "So, we squeaked up there. Really, though, it was a challenge getting the story together and getting everybody to agree on it. Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying ?I want it this way? and ?I want it that way?, whereas, when I first did Jones, I just said, ?We?ll do it this way? ? and that was much easier. But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it?s a little hard on a practical level."

"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we?ll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn?t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we?d like to take. I?m in the future; Steven?s in the past. He?s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I?m trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It?s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we?ll see where we are able to take the next one."

deckard24

At least Spielberg had it right looking to the past!! Too bad Lucas obviously got his way, and with that in mind you better believe an Indy 5 will be a repeat performance!

"Steven wasn't that enthusiastic"

Well that speaks volumes!!:rolleyes:

The Man

But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it?s a little hard on a practical level.

Oh, boo-hoo!

This recent one came out of that. It?s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we?ll see where we are able to take the next one.

That sounds pretty definitive. They're going for another. This could be terrifying!

Jones_Happens

It is sad to see that these two can't agree anymore. Lucas should leave the look and feel of these films to Spielberg and butt out. If Lucas wants to go even further into the "future," we're probably looking at a lot more CGI and, potentially, a lot more crap on the big screen.

Who knows, maybe Lucas wants to make Indy V animated like he is doing with his other blockbuster franchise...

The Man

Jones_Happens said:
It is sad to see that these two can't agree anymore. Lucas should leave the look and feel of these films to Spielberg and butt out. If Lucas wants to go even further into the "future," we're probably looking at a lot more CGI and, potentially, a lot more crap on the big screen.

Who knows, maybe Lucas wants to make Indy V animated like he is doing with his other blockbuster franchise...

Frank Darabont has said that Lucas is the most stubborn man imaginable, so don't expect any change any time soon...(n)

OmegaSeamaster

deckard24 said:
At least Spielberg had it right looking to the past!! Too bad Lucas obviously got his way, and with that in mind you better believe an Indy 5 will be a repeat performance!

"Steven wasn't that enthusiastic"

Well that speaks volumes!!:rolleyes:

See? All along Spielberg knew that aliens were a recipe for utter disaster. He caved to Lucas and the film turned out to be garbage. He knows it, he just won't go on the record because he's buddies with George.

If Spielberg gets his way and the series returns to the past, they can write out Shia, and do a balls-to-the-wall treasure hunt film which is what they should have done in the first place.

deckard24

OmegaSeamaster said:
See? All along Spielberg knew that aliens were a recipe for utter disaster. He caved to Lucas and the film turned out to be garbage. He knows it, he just won't go on the record because he's buddies with George.

If Spielberg gets his way and the series returns to the past, they can write out Shia, and do a balls-to-the-wall treasure hunt film which is what they should have done in the first place.
Unfortunately I highly doubt Spielberg will ever get his way where Indy is concerned, and you can bet Lucas won't sit out on the sidelines while The Berg makes it without him! He'll be involved, and it'll have all the crappy elements that we dislike about KOTCS! Lucas needs to stick to advancing film technology and step away from the filmmaking process all together! No storylines, editing, directing...nothing!! He was a one hit wonder with the original Star Wars trilogy, and coming up with the idea behind Indy, but since then it's been all downhill!! The best Star Wars film The Empire Strikes Back wasn't even directed by him, nor were the Indy films. Not to mention, all of the best aspects of these films have been the collaborations of other talented artists. The acting, scripts, editing, score, cinematography, special effects, etc... all made these films what they were. I'll give lucas one thing, he's always been a genius to surround himself with the most talented people from which he can benefit! All the brilliance of the Star Wars OTC and Indiana Jones films belongs to those people, but guess who is worth $5 billion dollars?!

KOTCS might have been well intentioned, but unfortunately we were duped into thinking they had the fans in mind all along! I enjoyed KOTCS for what it was, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious that it doesn't hold a candle to the original films at all! The tone and look of Raiders...yeah right!!!

OmegaSeamaster

deckard24 said:
Unfortunately I highly doubt Spielberg will ever get his way where Indy is concerned, and you can bet Lucas won't sit out on the sidelines while The Berg makes it without him! He'll be involved, and it'll have all the crappy elements that we dislike about KOTCS! Lucas needs to stick to advancing film technology and step away from the filmmaking process all together! No storylines, editing, directing...nothing!! He was a one hit wonder with the original Star Wars trilogy, and coming up with the idea behind Indy, but since then it's been all downhill!! The best Star Wars film The Empire Strikes Back wasn't even directed by him, nor were the Indy films. Not to mention, all of the best aspects of these films have been the collaborations of other talented artists. The acting, scripts, editing, score, cinematography, special effects, etc... all made these films what they were. I'll give lucas one thing, he's always been a genius to surround himself with the most talented people from which he can benefit! All the brilliance of the Star Wars OTC and Indiana Jones films belongs to those people, but guess who is worth $5 billion dollars?!

KOTCS might have been well intentioned, but unfortunately we were duped into thinking they had the fans in mind all along! I enjoyed KOTCS for what it was, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious that it doesn't hold a candle to the original films at all! The tone and look of Raiders...yeah right!!!

Agreed, the series just needs to be put to bed, because any film from this point on will just further drag the series down into camp and farce.

indyclone25

i think when he meant to the past i think he meant they will still use mutt but to go into the past for it subject matter maybe like the spear of destiny or the spikes used to drive into christs hands and feet or something like that --- you really can't put indy that far into the past because his age won't match -
so they need to find a good macguffin ( hope i spelled that right)

sandiegojones

It's an intersting statement. I still think that KOTCS was decent, but I never expected a truly great film out of a 3rd sequel. It's more formulaic than the prior 3 films because it plot is so similar to LC (as far as how Indy get involved).

Apparently the weakness of the film wasn't just the plot elements but the director's lack of enthusiasm too. They should just leave the series alone.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
It's an intersting statement. I still think that KOTCS was decent, but I never expected a truly great film out of a 3rd sequel. It's more formulaic than the prior 3 films because it plot is so similar to LC (as far as how Indy get involved).

Apparently the weakness of the film wasn't just the plot elements but the director's lack of enthusiasm too. They should just leave the series alone.

There's a distinct possibility that Lucas will simply cut Spielberg adrift and further mow the series into the ground. What with Lincoln, Tin-Tin etc., Stevie has a busy schedule for the foreseeable future...

sandiegojones

The Man said:
There's a distinct possibility that Lucas will simply cut Spielberg adrift and further mow the series into the ground. What with Lincoln, Tin-Tin etc., Stevie has a busy schedule for the foreseeable future...
I don't think he'd do that because Harrison wouldn't do it without Steven.

I also think that if SS was not 100% into doing Indy 4 then he shouldn't have done it and deserves equal blame with Lucas from the haters. Sure it was GL's story but he also paid for it. He could have moved on if the others hadn't wanted to do another film.

sandiegojones

Jonesy9906753 said:
if he said there was no point to indy iv,then why would he go on with another film?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sandiegojones said:
I also think that if SS was not 100% into doing Indy 4 then he shouldn't have done it and deserves equal blame with Lucas from the haters. Sure it was GL's story but he also paid for it. He could have moved on if the others hadn't wanted to do another film.
Theoretically, that's true. But I believe Spielberg when he says it was for the fans, and I think that's probably why he caved and went along with it even though he didn't think GL got it right. I really believe Spielberg wanted to make an Indiana Jones film for the fans, and did what he could with the material produced by the warped mind of George Lucas so that we would get another movie. Obviously, Spielberg had the right idea from the fans perspective. Personally, I like KOTCS. I appreciate its strengths, but at the same time recognize its flaws and realize how much better of a movie they could have made. And right from the beginning, it was clear to me that the flaws had to be primarily the fault of George Lucas and his love for CGI, corny, outdated jokes and stupid dialogue.
Man, I wish there was a way to cut Lucas out of the creative process and get the Indy movie we want.

Deckard

Dammit, will someone take Lucas to the god damn vet, and just have him put down already. It's like watching a puppy I use to love and play with who has become old and sickly and eats its own throw up and poop. I actually hope he loses brain function or something so he just can't write anymore.

indyclone25

besides harrison loves playing indy and he is going to make some cash from its worldwide haul ----so why wouldnt he make another one

Deckard

indyclone25 said:
besides harrison loves playing indy and he is going to make some cash from its worldwide haul ----so why wouldnt he make another one

Because its uneccassary garbage.

WTF DO YOU NEED INDY TO DO BEFORE YOU CAN SAY YOUVE SEEN ENOUGH?

HE SURVIVED A ****ING NUKE? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY MAKE US CARE FOR HIS SAFETY? HES SUPERMAN, IT NEEDS TO END.

JUST STOP.

Your addicted and you have a problem, go smoke crack instead, stop trying to get your fix from Lucas and Harrison.