Saving Private Ryan

A

Aussie Jones

My dad prefers Saving Private Ryan to Raiders of the lost Ark.
While I enjoyed SPR it was no ROTLA. Do others agree?

Katarn07

They don't compare. SPR is an excellent movie. Did he see HBO's Band of Brothers? If not, recommend it to him. It's excellent too. I can't watch too many other war movies after seeing these. These are the real deal. While SPR is somewhat fictious, almost everything is based on fact.

I watch SPR or BoB several times a year. I watch SPR on June 6 and Veterans Day. I watch BoB around Memorial Day. Like I said, both are great. They can't compare to action movies like RotLA.

blur

Aussie Jones said:
My dad prefers Saving Private Ryan to Raiders of the lost Ark.
While I enjoyed SPR it was no ROTLA. Do others agree?

You might as well compare apples to oranges. They are not alike. They are not supposed to be compared.

A

Aussie Jones

Re: Re: Saving Private Ryan

blur said:
You might as well compare apples to oranges. They are not alike. They are not supposed to be compared.

I'm not with you, they are two movies directed by Speilberg. Why can't you compare them?

I

Indy_Jones88

Re: Re: Re: Saving Private Ryan

Aussie Jones said:
I'm not with you, they are two movies directed by Speilberg. Why can't you compare them?

They are nothing alike and cannot compare. SPR is a movie about WWII and how soldiers suffered. It shows the horrors of war and is the most realistic war film ever.

Indiana Jones is an Action Film with comedy. It is set in WWII but other than some nazis you never see the war.

They are nothing a like.

Redwall

Not only are the genres different, their goals are completely different as well. Both are great films, it's just a matter of what you prefer.

Element

SPR is about U.S. Army rangers trying to rescue Pvt. Ryan and the hardships of war. (based on a true event).

ROLTA is completeley fictional and has a completely different story.

If you were to ask me witch one would i prefer i could not answer because they are just so different. If i was feeling like watching a film that showed what soldiers went through during WWII then I would watch SPR. If I wanted to watch something with adventure/comedy/action I would watch ROTLA.

I

Indy's_main_man

don't even bother answering... just like most of her first threads this was created with a clear comprehension that the two films couldn't be compared...she wanted an avatar...really badly

the result was about 25 threads like this...just leave it alone and it will go away

Indyologist

Element said:
SPR is about U.S. Army rangers trying to rescue Pvt. Ryan and the hardships of war. (based on a true event).

ROLTA is completeley fictional and has a completely different story.

If you were to ask me witch one would i prefer i could not answer because they are just so different. If i was feeling like watching a film that showed what soldiers went through during WWII then I would watch SPR. If I wanted to watch something with adventure/comedy/action I would watch ROTLA.

Exactly, Element. Exactly.

I watched SPR for the first time last year. What a powerful film. It was really disturbing and it made me appreciate my freedom on a whole new level. I surprized myself by watching it because I usually can't stomach bloody movies. The only reason I can tolerate the heart scene in TofD is because I've seen it so many times. But again, powerful movie. It really helped me to understand what kind of hell war really is.

maquino

The "Cylon Phenomenon"

In the Indiana Jones films it is perfectly acceptable to kill off "Nazis" without a second thought. (Note that they are never referred to as "Germans", despite the fact that many WW2-era Germans were not Nazi Party members.) Yet it is a tragedy if a single American/ally is killed. This double-standard carries through to other Spielberg films, reaching its extreme in Schindler's List.

Dehumanization/subhumanization of "the enemy" always makes it easier to exterminate him. I think of this as the "Cylon Phenomenon" because of the uncaring turkey-shoot of Cylons in the original Battlestar Galactica (while even an injury to a Colonial was a matter for emotional crisis). But it applies to many other films, such as the Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars, who were similarly (and symbolically) "faceless", thus could be killed casually.

It is not a pleasant human characteristic, and unfortunately is echoed too closely in reality, where lately, for example, mass Iraqi deaths are ignored while even a single American death is a tragedy.

Michael Aquino

Last edited:
I

Indy's_main_man

I'm going to say that over 85% of germans were nazis. Not because they were soldiers but because they knew exactly what Hitler was doing and didn't do anything....they let it happen.

if you were a jew and you knew what these people did to your ancestors and you made a movie about it would you take pity on them?

Indy's_main_man said:
if you were a jew and you knew what these people did to your ancestors and you made a movie about it would you take pity on them?

Spielberg said that after Schindler's List he wouldn't make any more films with nazis, but he couldn?t resist Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. Hollywood has made too many films with nazis as the badies. Lets not forget that the Japanese committed many war crimes. What I hate are films like 'Empire of the Sun' and 'The Thin Red Line" which show the Japanese in a good light.

Raffey

I once read that Saving Private Ryan was a movie about Tom Hanks getting killed trying to save Matt Damon's career! :D :D

Actually, Saving Private Ryan is great movie. It ranks pretty high on my fav's list. But no matter how good it is; it does not define its genre of film.

Not the way RotLA redefined action/adventure movies.

maquino

The Great Mandala

Indy's_main_man said:
I'm going to say that over 85% of germans were nazis. Not because they were soldiers but because they knew exactly what Hitler was doing and didn't do anything....they let it happen ...

Do I understand you correctly: If a chief of state invades nations which haven't attacked his nation, kills and maims thousands of their people in the process, and takes scores of others into prisons and concentration camps where they are held for years incommunicado, humiliated, and tortured, some to death - and his own citizens know exactly what he is doing and don't do anything ... they let it happen ... this makes them ...

Michael Aquino

Re: The Great Mandala

maquino said:
Do I understand you correctly: If a chief of state invades nations which haven't attacked his nation, kills and maims thousands of their people in the process, and takes scores of others into prisons and concentration camps where they are held for years incommunicado, humiliated, and tortured, some to death - and his own citizens know exactly what he is doing and don't do anything ... they let it happen ... this makes them ...

Michael Aquino

I can't understand what you're trying to express here.

I

Indy's_main_man

to answer maquino's question it makes them the bad guys.

Not because they did anything wrong...but because of what they didn't do.

think of it this way: someone starts your nieghbor's house on fire. you look out fyour window and see the guy who did it. You get a good look....but you don't report it. Guess what? you're the bad guy.

you're enabling this vicious act, and more of them to be commited.

oki9Sedo

Was a big fan of it years ago, but hadn't seen it in a long time and just watched it again. Cracking good film, really great stuff. Any fans here?

Incidentally, the big, burly German with the shaved head who fights Private Mellish hand to hand reminded me of Dovchenko.

Gear

Saving Private Ryan is a very decent film. I heard that they interviewed men who'd served in D-Day and other conflicts of WWII to create a just portrayal.

It can be uneasy to watch the way these people died, however, people should understand the cost and realities of war.

Since we're talking about it, in Drama I acted an in-character monologue of Ryan describing the last night he and his brothers were together. Aced it.

And, is it a little weird that I was thinking of this movie the other day and then you bring it up too?