General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy's brother

Pale Horse said:
His brashness is entirely the reason I dislike him so much.

I can't find the original Shia quote that says the same thing, so I don't know if it's the same quote being rolled out again. If it is new, I would really have to scratch my head and really wonder what he's thinking. A second slam on KOTCS like this in the media would have to hurt his chances for Indy 5, or at least make his working relationship with SS difficult in particular.

Goonie

Texas said:
Shia Blasts Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (I wonder how this affects Indy 5):

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/2...nes-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull.html

I thought Shia was alright in the movie. My biggest gripes were the jungle chase, the way the whole sequence was done (fencing between two vehicles was stupid, monkeys were stupid, a complete waste of a Jungle Cutter-where was the Fargo death scene involving a Rusky?), less blood, less guys getting shot, and Oxley's poetic babbling. How can a poem lead them to a "lost" city? If they can fix these details for the next movie(s), then they'll be back on track.

foreignerfred

I've gotta' say, statements like this can't bode well for him in terms of relationships with the Beards, the people behind Wall Street 2, Robert DeNiro, or the industry at large.

Talking like that, biting the hand that feeds you, just isn't smart.

The Drifter

foreignerfred said:
I've gotta' say, statements like this can't bode well for him in terms of relationships with the Beards, the people behind Wall Street 2, Robert DeNiro, or the industry at large.

Talking like that, biting the hand that feeds you, just isn't smart.

Hell, the kid started in Even Stevens. He needs to swallow that ego just a bit.

ron521

In all seriousness, I think it's getting to be time to reboot the series.
Look at how well Batman has been rebooted, and we had pretty good Batman films in the 80's and 90's, with Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, and Michelle Pfeiffer.
However, the two most recent Batman films (Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight) show that a GOOD film franchise can still be improved on.

Similarly, the most recent Star Trek film kind of proves the point...a reboot can be a very good thing.

And I suspect that it is much the same with Indy...although we have difficulty conceiving of anyone else playing the role, there must be someone out there who can.
The only reason KOTC was set in 1957 was that Harrison Ford was nearly 20 years older, and so Indy needed to be older as well.

Perhaps the "new" series can start before 1936, with a slightly younger Indy.

caats

reboot it eventually. No need now. but always a need for Indy. It's a sure thing in my mind.

maybe after chris pine seasons a bit.

JP Jones

Reboot= BAD

I'm serious when I say Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. I sound like my argument has no logical reasoning, but I really cannot allow myself to look at anyone, but Ford and call them Indiana Jones. If you do want to see the character, and not the man, I think your best bet would be an animated series. An Indy movie without Ford is blasphemy.:mad:

YouNeverKnow

I agree. Besides the fact that nobody but Ford can be Indy, some of you actually want to see a reboot a mere TWO years after the latest adventure? While Ford is still able to do more?? If a reboot comes (and I'd be happy if it never did) then hopefully it's in quite some time.

I mean seriously, reboots are getting ridiculous. Come up with an original idea, Hollywood! I bet there are zillions of people writing great, iconic figures, they can't all be taken. Find those people and make money off them.

Indy's brother

YouNeverKnow said:
I agree. Besides the fact that nobody but Ford can be Indy, some of you actually want to see a reboot a mere TWO years after the latest adventure? While Ford is still able to do more?? If a reboot comes (and I'd be happy if it never did) then hopefully it's in quite some time.

I mean seriously, reboots are getting ridiculous. Come up with an original idea, Hollywood! I bet there are zillions of people writing great, iconic figures, they can't all be taken. Find those people and make money off them.

As much as I would like to avoid getting embroiled in this old debate, I can't help but to publicly agree with every word of this.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
As much as I would like to avoid getting embroiled in this old debate, I can't help but to publicly agree with every word of this.

I'll be your second if it comes to pistols at dawn! (If it comes to handbags at dawn, I'll proudly hand you your handbag.)

Indy is different to other film characters such as Batman or Bond, for the simple fact that he was born on screen as Harrison, and he has remained inextricably associated with the adult character ever since. A reboot will either relegate the originals, or relegate itself.

Montana Smith said:
I'll be your second if it comes to pistols at dawn! (If it comes to handbags at dawn, I'll proudly hand you your handbag.)
See Captain Ned on the Pirates Thread...

Montana Smith said:
Indy is different to other film characters such as Batman or Bond, for the simple fact that he was born on screen as Harrison, and he has remained inextricably associated with the adult character ever since. A reboot will either relegate the originals, or relegate itself.
Imagine a new Indy treated the way they did Bond! Indiana Jones in space!:sick: He could be modernized, wear Sean John clothes and he could translate ebonics! Kanye could be his new Sallah...wow

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
See Captain Ned on the Pirates Thread...

:D

Rocket Surgeon said:
Imagine a new Indy treated the way they did Bond! Indiana Jones in space!:sick: He could be modernized, wear Sean John clothes and he could translate ebonics! Kanye could be his new Sallah...wow

...and he would cease to be Indiana Jones, and assume the name 'Mutt Jones'!

Mickiana

A reboot would have one very positive effect: it would preclude Shia from getting the fedora, as he is already known as Indy's son. He cannot now just manifest as a younger Indy.

A reboot set earlier, pre Raiders or whenever, would require someone similar to and as capable as Harrison. Argue the possibility of that as much as you like, but it could be the aim that hits a good target.

Montana Smith said:
Indy is different to other film characters such as Batman or Bond, for the simple fact that he was born on screen as Harrison, and he has remained inextricably associated with the adult character ever since.

I concur completely. That's what makes him unique. Indiana Jones was born on the silver screen and originally existed as Harrison Ford. There was no book, TV show, comic book, etc. Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones.

(On a related note, that's what I think is special about the Star Wars series...it originated as a film and not a something else.)

Mickiana

In a handful of years, young viewers won't know about Harrison or care. He will be replaceable, though of course not to the current fans, but he will be to future ones.

Montana Smith

The Professor said:
I concur completely. That's what makes him unique. Indiana Jones was born on the silver screen and originally existed as Harrison Ford. There was no book, TV show, comic book, etc. Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones.

(On a related note, that's what I think is special about the Star Wars series...it originated as a film and not a something else.)

There is one small anomaly, though:

DSCN3652.jpg

This emerged before the film's release, and was the first image of Indiana Jones himself that I recall. However, Harrison has become so linked to the character, that such images are just novelties in his history.

Mickiana said:
In a handful of years, young viewers won't know about Harrison or care. He will be replaceable, though of course not to the current fans, but he will be to future ones.

That will probably be true in time, but I can't imagine those who reboot him investing as much of their energy and lives in the project, as those who brought about the originals. Like Star Wars, Indy has been something special to work on. Without Harrison and the other links to the past, a reboot will likely be a hollow effort. They'd be better off creating a brand new character and starting from scratch with something new that will capture a future audience's attention, without running the gauntlet of ccontinually nodding to the past.

Last edited: