Campbell Black vs. George Lucas Alleging Unpaid Royalties For Raiders Novelization

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Lawsuit Filed Against Movie Mogul George Lucas Alleging Unpaid Royalties For the Novelization of 'Raiders of The Lost Ark'

A four million dollar lawsuit was filed on October 26 at the Marin County Superior Court in San Rafael, California against LucasFilm, Ltd. ("Lucas")by two prominent Los Angeles attorneys on behalf of author Campbell Black. A hearing for this case is set for March 15, 2005 in Marin County court. (Case #CV044725).

The lawsuit alleges the filmmaker failed to pay Mr. Black royalties or provide a disclosure of earnings, an accounting, or any statements for a period in excess of 20 years since the inception of the worldwide best selling novelization of the film for which Mr. Black was commissioned.

Sources indicate Mr. Black, who now resides in Ireland, has retained the law offices of David Abrams (Encino, California) and Morris Getzels (Beverly Hills, California).

According to Mr. Abrams: ?Initially I would like to believe this dispute originated because of sloppy bookkeeping and a lack of administrative organization within Lucasfilm. However, further review of the facts reveal when errors and discrepancies were brought to Mr. Lucas? attention, instead of an apology and provision of a full accounting of earnings, LucasFilm stood steadfast and refused without explanation to give Mr. Black any information. Clearly LucasFilm believes they are too important to deal with one single author in a fair and fiduciary manner. Before filing suit every effort was provided to Mr. Lucas to settle this amicably. Mr. Black had no choice other than to file this suit".

More details

Deadlock

Personally, I think that LucasArts has been neglecting the "little guys" for a good while. Uncle George's comments regarding fans wanting the original versions ticked me right off. "Go watch your VHS copies." Real nice. I may be the only person in the world, but I'm boycotting the new Star Wars DVDs and will stick to my VHS per George's advice. :)

So this story about an Indy author getting shafted doesn't surprise me.

LASTCRUSADER

I also have to agree with Deadlock. Lucas seems to be forgetting about the little guys. As much as I love SW and Jones I think he has gotten a little too cocky. I mean to say its too bad if the fans want the originals on DVD. Thats just not right. Without the fans support and money spending he wouldn't be where he is now . So good for this guy sueing I hope he wins. Maybe Georgie will wake up and smell the coffee.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Quelle offence à dieu le père! Il me le pardonnera...

When money runs in your veins, it attacks your brain.

Johan

but if he had to end up paying royalites don't you think they would be a bit less inclined to release a special edition of raiders? I mean I know they would still make money but if a movie is giving you a headache after so many years to you do promote it?

Raffey

If this is the novelization that I read way back when....this guy did a great job capturing the Indiana Jones feel of the movie. I actually read the book before I saw the movie.

Pay the man, Lucas! :p

HovitosKing

I love how George Lucas sees himself as the "little guy" who went up against big, bad Hollywood and defeated the moneymaking machine, yet he's turned his own empire into a heartless corporation that's made the original Hollywood bad guys look like saints. Nice job, George, way to stay true to your calling, you freaking sellout.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Postscript.

Phillips, Erlewine & Given LLP defended Lucasfilm Ltd in the action filed by Campbell Black claiming that he was owed over $4 million in unpaid royalties. The firm successfully defended Lucasfilm, reaching a settlement in which the case was dismissed and no monies paid.

Montana Smith

JuniorJones said:
Postscript.

Phillips, Erlewine & Given LLP defended Lucasfilm Ltd in the action filed by Campbell Black claiming that he was owed over $4 million in unpaid royalties. The firm successfully defended Lucasfilm, reaching a settlement in which the case was dismissed and no monies paid.

The Raven - First for breaking news! :p

There's another Lucasfilm court case on that Phillips, Erlewine & Given page:

LucasFilm Ltd. v. Sport Fun
San Francisco Superior Court (2006)

The firm represented LucasFilm in an action seeking to collect unpaid royalties from a company granted the license to market sports-related products and toys using Lucasfilms? Star Wars trademark and other marks. The firm successfully obtained a writ of attachment, and then prevailed on defendant?s claim that the monies attached were exempt. The case settled shortly thereafter.

http://www.phillaw.com/cases/index.php?id=4

So Campbell 'Black' was a pen-name of Campbell Armstrong:

campbell-armstrong.jpg

Campbell Armstrong was born in Glasgow. He has a degree in philosophy from the University of Sussex. He taught creative writing from 1971-74 at the State University of New York; from 1975-78 he taught at Arizona State University.

He disliked teaching immensely so, in 1978, he began to write fiction fulltime; he had already published Assassins & Victims (1968); The Punctual Rape (1969) and Death?s Head (1971). In 1979, after he quit the academic life, he published Asterisk Destiny, and the following year Brainfire.

He remained in Arizona until 1991, during which time he wrote the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Brian De Palma?s Dressed To Kill. He also wrote the novels Jig, Mambo and Mazurka, between 1986 and 1989. In 1990 he published Concert of Ghosts, and in 1991 his novel of corrupt American influence in the Philippines, Agents of Darkness.

After 20 years in the US, he longed to return to Europe. Early in 1991 he moved to Ireland, to the heart of the bog, with his wife Rebecca. He has since written Jigsaw, Heat, Silencer and Blackout. He also published a memoir called I Hope You Have A Good Life (2000).

He has three sons and a daughter, and lives in an old house reputed to be haunted.

Campbell Armstrong's bibliography

?Assassins & Victims (1968) (Winner of Scottish Arts Council Award)
?The Punctual Rape (1969) (Winner of Scottish Arts Council Award)
?Death?s Head (1971)
?Asterisk (1976)
?Brainfire (1977)
?The Wanting (1978)
?Mr. Apology (1979)
?Letters from the Dead (1980)
?Dressed to Kill (based on movie script)(1980)
?Raiders of the Lost Ark (novelization) (1981)
?Jig (1987)
?Mazurka (1988)
?Mambo (1989)
?Jigsaw (1994)
?Heat (1995)
?Blackout (1996)
?Silencer (1997)
?Deadline (2000)
?Agents of Darkness (1991)
?Concert of Ghosts (1994)
?with Jeffrey Caine, The Homing

The Glasgow Novels
?Bad Fire (2002)
?The Last Darkness (2003)
?White Rage (2004)(nominated for Prix du Polar, France)
?Butcher (2006) (nominated for Prix du Polar, France)

Memoir
?I Hope You Have A Good Life (2000)
?UK edition: All That Really Matters

Plays
?And they used to Star in Movies (Peacock, Dublin: Travers, Edinburgh; Body Politic, Chicago. Soho Poly, London) (1970)
?Death?s Head (BBC-TV) (1968)
?Whispering, a radio play (BBC4, 2009)

http://www.campbellarmstrong.com/about.php