Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Canyon

Hi there!

I saw this film yesterday at the cinema and just wanted to post some comments here.

*WARNING* POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Pirates of the Caribbean is an enjoyable picture, harkening back to the time when Pirates ruled the seas and to a time when they were feared by all. Johnny Depp's character, Captain Jack Sparrow is a pirate and an interesting one at that. He is caught up in an adventure where the Govenor's daughter (Elizabeth) is kidnapped by the crew of the Black Pearl and together with Will Turner, a friend of hers since childhood, Jack join forces and set out to rescue her. The film is full of swashbucking adventure, swordfighting, battle scenes, chases and our heroine soon learns that all is not as it seems on the Black Pearl. Some times, the film goes from drama to comedy, but it works extremely well. Allow me to say that, as always, Industrial Light and Magic have done a superb job of the special effects, and I am not going to say anything else about these, as it may spoil your enjoyment of the movie if you go to see it. Johnny Depp plays the role of Jack with a great deal of enthusiasm and camp and Orlando Bloom is great as the blacksmith who is deeply in love with Elizabeth (her father wishes her to marry another man). Okay, that part is a bit cliqued but it works all the same)

Interestingly enough, there are some references to the Indy trilogy as follows:

• Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) says "My medallion", simiar to Marion in Raiders
  • The captain of the black Pearl owns a monkey similar to the one in Raiders and says to Jack Sparrow "We named the monkey Jack." <small>sound familar?</small>
  • Elizabeth hides a knife from the bad guy (similar to Marion in Raiders)
  • Will Turner(Orlando Bloom) is accused of being 'Obsessed with treasure'
  • ...and of course he gets the girl in the end!*sigh*

pirates.jpg

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
This movie came out in the US nearly a month ago, and already has grossed $232,810,749US!
I loved this film, having seen it twice, (lack of funds prevented me from watching it again) the acting was wonderful and the script was "watertight" (pardon the pun). I am elated at the news that a sequel is already in the works with nearly everyone from this film, including the production crew. I have a feeling that this will be considered a "classic" in its own rights.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
It was rather good.

I anticipated a thread on it much sooner than this, and yes, I noticed some things that I was sure would remind people of Indy (though the naming the monkey Jack reminded me more of Monkey Island II, in which the dog is named Guybrush).

The greatest problem I see is that the fight scenes go on a bit too long, and for what purpose? After all, the pirates can't be killed, and so really don't have anything to worry about, it seems to me.

However, Johnny Depp's performance was rather inspired, and as such, deserves a nod.

This movie was so great!! It was so exciting and funny, it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time! I really loved Johnny Depp's character, he was hilarious in a quirky sort of way. Plus Orlando Bloom is such a hottie... can't wait for the sequel!

Canyon

I have to disagree. If there's one thing I love about films is the fact that even now, (20 years after Raiders came out) people are STILL using Indy lines and are still trying to capture the adventurous spirit of the Indiana Jones movies. I just thought that some of the stuff in the movie was reminicent of scenes in the trilogy. ;)

British_Lion_2003

The Indiana Jones films did not invent the adventurous spirit type films. And there wasnt one line in the film that was copied from any Indy film. I think your going a bit over the top.

00Kevin

Indyfan
It's kinda interesting how disney is now making films based off rides, instead of the other way around

I'm sure you all know about the 'Haunted Mansion' film with eddie murphey

they are also going to make a film called 'Monorail' an action film in which Walt Disney comes out of cryogenic freezing to fight evil robots..............

Attila the Professor

Staff member
00Kevin said:
It's kinda interesting how disney is now making films based off rides, instead of the other way around

I'm sure you all know about the 'Haunted Mansion' film with eddie murphey

they are also going to make a film called 'Monorail' an action film in which Walt Disney comes out of cryogenic freezing to fight evil robots..............

Don't believe that last part folks...

00Kevin said:
[B
they are also going to make a film called 'Monorail' an action film in which Walt Disney comes out of cryogenic freezing to fight evil robots.............. [/B]

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the whole Disney-movie-based-on-a-ride thing hasn't always been very successful (coughcoughCOUNTRYBEARScoughcough) but Pirates was excellent and i'm looking foward to the Haunted Mansion.

Did anyone ever see the movie based on the Tower of Terror? That was pretty good.

EvilNazi

I have seen Pirates of the Caribbean in a bad cinema, with a low quality of sound. however, i enjoyed the movie very much. the plot is quite shallow but its very enjoyable, a lot of adventure, some good jokes, and johnny depp steals the movie with his performance.

it also reminded me very much of Monkey Island and Pirates Gold, both excellent games.

westford

I finally saw Pirates this week. I've had to endure weeks of avoiding it until I had the chance to see it 'properly' (I work in a 14-screen cinema, and Pirates has been on 3 or 4 screens since its release). I've seen the credits well over 50 times - the Pirate's Musk theme is really good fortunately! :) (Pity the same can't be said for the music in that bloody Piglet film... :rolleyes: 'Sing ho! for the life of a bear...' Aaaaargh!!!)

I agree with Evil Nazi, it reminded me of Monkey Island. I was slightly disappointed by the lack of insult sword fighting though! (How appropriate! You fight like a cow! :p Hmmm, sign of a misspent youth...).

Depp was ace! Will have to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, since I've heard several people compare the two performances. ***'borrows' video from brother's collection***

It was quite amusing to see that guy from Coupling (British TV comedy) as Norrington, and the guy from The Office (yup, another Brit comedy) as the bloke with the fake eye! I soooooooo did not recognise Johnathon Pryce (Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies) as the Governor! Must've been the wig... :p

J

Jedi Daniel

I saw it yesterday and thought it was terrific. One of the best movies this year along with X-Men 2 and Terminator 3.

Kumba

One Phrase: BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!

'Pirates' had so many one-liners, I was cracking up all the way through. Also, that English girl, Keira Knightley, IS HOT! That's the only reason you need to see the movie! ;) omg, what'd i'd give to go on a date with her! :)

westford

Kumba said:
Keira Knightley, IS HOT! That's the only reason you need to see the movie! ;) omg, what'd i'd give to go on a date with her! :)
Wow Kumba, you took the words right out of my mouth!

:rolleyes: :p

Canyon

Kumba said:

'Pirates' had so many one-liners, I was cracking up all the way through. Also, that English girl, Keira Knightley, IS HOT! That's the only reason you need to see the movie! ;) omg, what'd i'd give to go on a date with her! :)

Kumba! And what would your lady friend say about that!

POC_poster5.jpg

Careful not to flood the Raven, dear boy...

Last edited:

Kumba

Canyon said:
Kumba said:

Kumba! And what would your lady friend say about that!

yphoto4.jpg

Careful not to flood the Raven, dear boy...

OH.......DEAR........GOD! Canyon! Where did find that pic?! Was it from allposters.com ?! Omg, if it I am going to buy it! btw, right now I'm temporarily single. However, I'll soon find another lady friend! Actually, I have a lot of lady friends, but you know, they're girls but just friends. I've got no intimate g/f's. But anyway, back to the Keira pic, i wouldn't care what she said! hahaha. Also, hey Westford, I thought you were a girl, lol. What's up with where you said "you took the words right out of my mouth"? You want to go on a date with Keira Knightley? hahahahaha! ;)