indy 5- Prequel to KotCS?

IndyAJA77

S-23 said:
...instead of going back 1 or 2 years, I think a prequel going back to 1952 or 1953 would be better. I also think going back to Asia would make a decent film, especially with the 1952 or 1953 date.

I agree, but I suggested only going back a year because I didn't think Ford would agree to having himself made up to look younger. But, without doing so I'm not sure I would buy into him playing the character 5-6 years prior to KOTCS.

So, minus that potential hurdle, I'm all for a Korean War backdrop.

Muttette

I want Indy to find out Mutt's actually Belloqs kid then he can ditch the family and move on to a whole new set of side kicks just like always! :whip:

Inbanana

I like the idea of Indy returning to Asia in a prequel... Maybe Indy V could be Temple of Doom II instead of Raiders IV. Unfortunately, Lucas/Spielberg seem to hate ToD as much as some of the fans do and are trying to write it out of Indiana Jones' history and pretend it never happened...

S-23

IndyAJA77 said:
I agree, but I suggested only going back a year because I didn't think Ford would agree to having himself made up to look younger. But, without doing so I'm not sure I would buy into him playing the character 5-6 years prior to KOTCS.

So, minus that potential hurdle, I'm all for a Korean War backdrop.

I think that Ford could pull it off. Remember, "It's not the years, it's the mileage." It's not that much of a stretch to ask a guy in his mid/late 60s to play a guy in his mid/late 50s. Just ask Ford's pretend dad, Sean Connery. Indy has lived a pretty rough life, and Ford hasn't. Plus, I am not saying it has to be a Korean War Indy film, just that we recognize that the war is going on, that the Chinese were our enemies, and it takes place somewhere in East Asia.
What ever they do, I feel strongly that they need to keep the franchise in the 1950s. Indy may have survived Nazis, snakes, and Soviets, but the
1960s would kill him. I can see the opening scene of that film: Indy and Hippie Mutt bust into a "love-in" in order to steal an enchanted bong.

Benraianajones

I'd like the quest for Atlantis as prequel to KOTCS, since Nazis did have a genuine interest in it at some point. Not much chance of that as a movie though.

DarthMickey

The only one that couldnt pull this off is Lucas.He'd find a way to ruin it.I hate to say it but best to just leave it alone. :gun: :dead:

IndyFan89

There could be a group of Nazi's that never died after WW2. Maybe this was the birth of the skin heads or something.

Just an idea. :rolleyes:

IndyAJA77

S-23 said:
I think that Ford could pull it off...
It's not if he can pull it off, but whether he is willing to do so.

But, since this probably will never happen...I guess we can dream up anything we want.

vf wing

I don't really expect a prequel. Ford's adamant stance on playing the character's appropriate age keeps them from going back too far. He could always change his mind and back off of that, I suppose. But i wouldn't hold out for it. He was making similar statements during the filming of Last Crusade!

If they just went back a year or two, it would seem a little hackneyed. None of the other adventures have left him as changed as Skull: he has a family now. Undoing all of that would probably, as has been said, just confuse the casual audience. Especially the kids who are more likely to only be familiar with the new movie.

That said, it's certainly plausible that his family won't figure that prominently into the next one. The most recent Lucas pronouncements on the subject suggest to me he's distancing himself a bit from Shia. Indy probably wouldn't be carting the family around on his quests anyway.

The time frame doesn't really matter too much, whether it ends up being in the 50s or 60s. The Old World is still the Old World, to much the same degree. It's not like Indy hangs out in trendy places. I wouldn't mind seeing them pull a fast one and bump it on up to the 70s. If they do one in five years set in 1970, they will have caught the character up to Harrison's actual age!

Perhilion

So I was reading the Complete Making of Indiana Jones, and in the KotCS section it mentioned how before shooting they did Ford's makeup, and it looked so good, too good in fact, he looked younger than Indy was supposed to be, so they cut back. Do you think they might go the ToD route in the next Indy and have a prequel? This might help increase the audience, since too many people seemed unable to get over an older Indy.

Insomniac

I think it might be a better film because they won't be constrained to a smaller palette because they have given him a family responsibilities and less chances to make a new and original adventure!

But this just an opinion and I think that they might not make a film pre KotCS in freight of loosing new fans and confusing non fans and might not be a good way to leave the series hanging with Crystal Skulls open ending!

Peru1936

I'd prefer a prequel. I like Indy having a sidekick - and he always has - and I wouldn't mind if it was Mutt, but I don't see how they could do the film without Marion. Don't get me wrong, she's certainly the best and my favourite of the Indy Girls, but I'm not really interested in seeing an aging married couple globetrotting together on some fantastic adventures.

Darth Vile

Perhilion said:
So I was reading the Complete Making of Indiana Jones, and in the KotCS section it mentioned how before shooting they did Ford's makeup, and it looked so good, too good in fact, he looked younger than Indy was supposed to be, so they cut back. Do you think they might go the ToD route in the next Indy and have a prequel? This might help increase the audience, since too many people seemed unable to get over an older Indy.

I can't see it myself... I think it wouldn't make narrative sense to take the movie/plot back in time before KOTCS. They'll be more inclined I think (even if done somewhat subtly) to play with the ideas of Indy being a family man/father.

emtiem

It'd be really weird and quite confusing to marry him off with a son in one film and then just cancel that out in the next. More interesting and fresh to keep the status quo, I'd say.
Otherwise you've got to keep telling the audience 'this is a prequel; it's set before the last one' to which the only response would be 'why?'. And I can't think of a reason good enough to muddle things up like that.

No prequel, no old characters returning: just adventure, please.

Perhilion

As has been mentioned in this thread, i really like the idea of an Asian adventure, since it's not something we've seen before (outside of ET). Chinese commies would make great bad guys, or maybe another cult like the Thugees.

DocWhiskey

Perhilion said:
As has been mentioned in this thread, i really like the idea of an Asian adventure, since it's not something we've seen before (outside of ET). Chinese commies would make great bad guys, or maybe another cult like the Thugees.

Hell yes. Chinese commies sound great, even if they go to Japan there's always the Yakuza, and both cultures seem to mystical-like aspects that could easily be adapted into something Indy-ish.

But what do I know? I'm a stupid American.