Revenge of the Ancients

IndySeven

Can anyone tell me more info about the Revenge of the Ancients game and what its about? Please provide me with some screenshots.:hat:

Finn

Staff member
Revenge of the Ancients is an adventure game that pits Indy against Nazis in South America. It's a hard game that features many dead-ends if the player's somehow done wrong things a plenty of turns ago. The plot is an original one, and for the 2nd time after RotLA, features Marion as the main heroine.

Screenshots... now that's hard. It's a completely text-based game, with a parser an'all.

Finn

Staff member
Like I said, it's a text adventure. No graphics.

But alright, since you requested a screenshot:

kuva3.png

Last edited:
You can find the whole game on the net. It's not a really good game though, it's hard, and because the pharser isn't very good, you have to tell it the exact move. It's also easy to die in it for no reason. I've played it, but never finished it even with a walk through because it's just not worth it. Too bad because I like text adventure games.

Finn

Staff member
I guess they made it hard as hell simply to add length to it. At least with a walkthrough, you can breeze through it in 20 minutes or so.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah, it's a fine old genre though, and allowed for some really immersive stuff before graphics were up to par. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Attila the Professor said:
Ah, it's a fine old genre though, and allowed for some really immersive stuff before graphics were up to par. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

That games are fine, I loved the old Infocom games. Just the Indy game was pretty bad. It was too easy to die just looking around. It was also very picky, I had to find a walkthrough to get me the first item to pick up because it didn't like what I called it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Edward The Head said:
That games are fine, I loved the old Infocom games. Just the Indy game was pretty bad. It was too easy to die just looking around. It was also very picky, I had to find a walkthrough to get me the first item to pick up because it didn't like what I called it.

Oh, no, I agree with you on the Indy game being pretty bad. Infocom though was the stuff of brilliance.

IndySeven

I still don't get the point. I'm so used to playing games with graphics, so how could you play a video game with text only? It just doesn't make sense.:confused:

Finn

Staff member
IndySeven said:
I still don't get the point. I'm so used to playing games with graphics, so how could you play a video game with text only? It just doesn't make sense.
I apologize in advance if I'm going to sound like a smart-aleck, but... have you read any books in your life?

IndySeven said:
I still don't get the point. I'm so used to playing games with graphics, so how could you play a video game with text only? It just doesn't make sense.:confused:

Basically it has a description of the place you're at. Then you type some sort of command like, examine skeleton, or go north. If there's a skeleton then the game says something like "The skeleton is broken and looks to have been here for years." Or if you go north it gives the name of a new room.

It takes a lot of imagination to figure out whats going on. try http://www.wesleyholland.com/misc/adventure/adventure.html to see what one looks like. They only take very basic commands like look, south, get.

Papa Jones

IndySeven said:

Something like a pen and paper roleplaying game... well, without dices...

Stoo

Thanks, VP.(y) Wish I could read Finnish...
Considering it was made after "Doom", does the game provide a date for when this story is set?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
IIRC not, probably after Raiders since Marion is involved. 1937, perhaps?

DIrishB

Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients

After making the IJ "Lost Kingdom" game thread, I figured I'd continue the classic Indy game trend.

Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients

This is the one Indy game I still haven't beaten. Mainly because its a text adventure game, and I manage to die at the same place every time (trying to jump onto a plane from a cliff...not easy to do in terms of timing it right in an all text game). I like this one, though. It picks up sometime after Raiders since Marion is tagging along (in the Indy timeline...around the Further Adventures comics), and has you searching for the Mazatec Power Key before the Germans find it. Marion pops into the adventure from time to time. Its a decent game, but after dying and restarting a few times can get extremely repetitive since you're reading the same descriptive text each time. Still, definitly has the feel of an Indy adventure.

This is probably the rarest Indy game out there (except for maybe the Lost Kingdom game). I don't own an original copy, but I made a fan made version for myself by downloading an emulated copy off the Web, burning it to a CD, then printing up the original box art onto a DVD case label (as well as the DVD label itself). Yeah, its shecky, but it turned out really nice and I sure as hell wasn't able to find an ACTUAL copy of the game, so why not? ;)

Anyway, has anyone else played this classic?

DIrishB

ResidentAlien said:
Cool.

I have a trend too.

I like to point people in the direction of the search function.

I know, and you're awfully self-righteous about it.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=10706&highlight=revenge+ancients

It's a neat thing.

....a message board devoted to Indiana Jones... and in over 8 years, you'd think the topic of one of the few games bearing the license would have gone undiscussed? I really don't understand that...

Why are you always dripping with attitude, man? Back off. The ONE thread for it has been dead for over a year.

This conversation was had in another thread already, and one of the mods said it was fine to start a new thread on an existing topic if the older threads were out of date. I suppose thats subjective, so excuse me if I've assaulted your fragile sensibilites by duplicating a topic (cuz the 400 or so Indy 5 threads, or the 50 Emperor's Tomb threads in this section alone are all much more deserving of existence).

:rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic...