Indy comic from UK Titan Magazine

Lao_Che

BrodyIsDead said:
(even with their Official Indy Magazine, there's mostly cobbled together articles from the Complete Making Of book already written by someone else, namely Laurent Bouzereau!)

In what way?

BrodyIsDead

I kid ye not...

Basically in any issue of the Magazine where they mostly have little snippets of quotes from various cast and crew members in small paragraph segments and it has "interview by" or "written by" Laurent Bouzereau, they're pretty much lifted straight out of the Complete Making Of book... I've come across quite a few where I've thought, "Hang on, I've read this somewhere before..."

Anyway, back to my Titan Indy Comic point and question of why can't we have a purely original Indy cartoon strip creation from Titan - back when the first issue came out, to advertise it on their website, was a drawing of Indy swinging in front of a pyramid (annoyingly I can't find it online now) - to my knowledge I've never seen this before so at the time it at least "looked" as if they were going to put out some original Indy stories in comic strip form - well, it's got to Issue 9 here in the UK and I'm not holding my breath any more for one, I'm afraid... (I bet there's just more reprints on the way!)

DIrishB

Hey BrodyIsDead, great to see you!

And I agree, they should try offering at least some original material, whether short 4-8 page comic stories, or just short prose stories about Indy's adventures (basically, something like the prologue's/opening scene of each film).

Titan used to do the original short story thing in their Farscape magazine (based on the TV show). In large part, that aspect (original EU material) is what led to those Farscape issues being sold out and now extremely hard to find (and expensive on Ebay, etc).

It seems to me any additional investment needed to feature original short stories or comics featuring Indy (as opposed to just the reprint rights) would be a smart business move. It would give added interest (which usually equals bigger sales) to both collector's and even casual Indy fans. They'd probably be able to increase their printing numbers from increased sales.

I'm a collector of all things Indy fiction (if its an original Indy story, I either own it or want to!), but there's no reason for me to bother buying this magazine since, as you said, its basically just reprinted existing material.

Lao_Che

BrodyIsDead said:
Basically in any issue of the Magazine where they mostly have little snippets of quotes from various cast and crew members in small paragraph segments and it has "interview by" or "written by" Laurent Bouzereau, they're pretty much lifted straight out of the Complete Making Of book... I've come across quite a few where I've thought, "Hang on, I've read this somewhere before..."

See, I thought alot was lifted from the Making Of but I've not found that much. If anything, the interviews are expanded.

DIrishB said:
I'm a collector of all things Indy fiction (if its an original Indy story, I either own it or want to!), but there's no reason for me to bother buying this magazine since, as you said, its basically just reprinted existing material.

"King Aracnido" in that puzzle must be original. ;)

BrodyIsDead

Hi, everyone,

sorry to the bearer of bad news, especially at Christmas, but after not seeing the new issue of the Titan Indy Comic on the shelves as it should have been by now I decided to email Titan and ask about its status - here's the reply I got:

"Thank you for your interest in the Indiana Jones Comic and your subscription enquiry. We regret to advise you that at this time the magazine has ceased publication and so is unavailable for purchase."

Titan's magazine however IS still going as far as I know, it's just their kids comic that they've dropped...

--------------------------------------------

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy

emtiem

Damn- thought this might be the case; had a flick through yesterday and the issue that's out now seemed to rush through the last part of Spear of Destiny as quickly as possible (it's practically the whole comic) with no 'next time' page. A real shame as that'll make keeping up with Tomb of the Gods a lot harder.

emtiem

BrodyIsDead said:
I've actually been buying these comics in the UK since they started earlier this year... And although I was initially impressed with them, I'm starting to realise that they're just finding new ways to simply put out older, out of print Indy stuff... (not a bad thing on the one hand, but their lack of original material, and imagination, is starting to really bug me)

For instance, they did give us here in the UK a couple of parts of Tomb Of The Gods but then left us hanging for the last two issues with reprints of the now OLD Spear Of Destiny strip (which many other Indy fans will already have!)

I just think it's annoying that they're charging money for old comic strips - why can't we have something new and totally original - my suspicion is that Titan only have the "reprint rights" here in the UK (even with their Official Indy Magazine, there's mostly cobbled together articles from the Complete Making Of book already written by someone else, namely Laurent Bouzereau!)

I'm an avid and dedicated Indy fan but am fast coming to the conclusion that the likes of Titan are just trying to make a quick buck off someone like me who is fool enough to buy regurgitated stuff from the past...

To be fair to the comic, comic strips are hugely expensive and time-intensive things, and as this comic was aimed at kids who won't have seen all the old stuff it makes sense to reprint what already exists. If they'd tried to produce new strips I daresay it would have folded even quicker and we might not have seen Tomb of the Gods so easily over here (which was of course a brand new strip: we even got one installment in the UK before the US got it!).

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
inky_skin said:
Found issues 1-5 in a box I'd stashed in the loft...anyone need anything from them (scans, info etc) ?

AAaaachoo!
Code:
[URL="https://rapidshare.com/files/1644615284/IJDHUK.cbr"]https://rapidshare.com/files/1644615284/IJDHUK.cbr[/URL]
;)