Favorite music format?

Nurhachi1991

What is your all time favorite music format? records? 8-tracks? Cassettes? Cd's? MP3's?

Mine is without a doubt Cassette tapes I grew up with them. Never had a cd player as a kid. There is just something about popping in a cassette that just makes the song sound better to me.

How about you folks?

Gear

I've always been a fan of formats that allow you to tangibly enjoy the album art. Seems more meaningful that way, as opposed to looking at it on a computer screen. Doesn't really matter much, other than that. I'll take it as I can get/play it. Although, the sound that accompanies digital compression has always irked me, in particular.

Goodeknight

I grew up with tapes, too, but haven't popped one in for a looong time. CDs were the new thing around the time I entered college, and I switched to those. Built my collection joining one of the infamous CD music clubs over and over ("Get 24 CDs for the price of three!"). Also had lots of hand-me-down records from my parents growing up. I can see how people stay attached to vinyl. Best feel of any format.

I am very slow to adapt to new technology. I hate change. But my wife got me an iPod nano for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I mean, I used to drive around with a large box of tapes. Then I drove around with a long sleeve of loose CDs. Now I can plug my nano into the aux input in the car. I have 2,000 songs on it --- and it's half full. That's pretty awesome. Putting it on "shuffle" is like listening to a custom radio station with no commercials or annoying, self-absorbed DJs who think they're really funny.

And I travel a lot for work, so I can listen to the nano while I wait for 6 hours in an airport.

So when 2,000 songs can sit in your shirt pocket, I'd have to say digital is my favorite format, just for the variety and capacity.

InexorableTash

Gear said:
I've always been a fan of formats that allow you to tangibly enjoy the album art. Seems more meaningful that way, as opposed to looking at it on a computer screen.

Same here. While I grew up with LPs, 45s, 8-tracks and cassettes, I'll be nostalgic for CDs in standard jewel cases. Uniform sizing, durable presentation of the album art, plenty of room for liner notes, and so forth.

That said, "bits not atoms" going forward.

Nurhachi1991

I have never owned a record player I would like to eventually.

I seriously have over 100 tapes from over the years. and my trusty Sony Walkman and my portable boombox!