LOTS of new books just announced

walker

Wow! I wasn't expecting to see this. A week or two back I mentioned that there were two new Indy books, one available now (Indiana Jones Biografia - now available at Powell's Books online site) and another entitled The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, due sometime in early 2008. Now I just found another dozen or so additional books. Lucasfilm must really be ramping up the licensing efforts. I found a number of these on Amazon's Canadian site, so I'm uncertain if they'll be available here in the U.S.

Here's the complete list:

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.CA (CANADA)

1) Indiana Jones: Last Crusade Novelization by Ryder Windham (pubbing on 4/1/2008)

2) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

3) Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

Since there have already been novelizations written for the three movies, I think the listings above are a little deceptive. Ryder Windham writes a lot of books for DK Publishing, and they specialize in very heavily illustrated, hardcover "behind the scenes" movie tie in books. I suspect these are the books the Lucas mentioned a month or two ago which document the making of the original films.

4) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Novelization by James Luceno (4/1/2008)
Scholastic is publishing this for the young adult set (ages 12 - 16). This makes sense as Luceno has a history with Indy, having written the YA novel that was adapted from two episodes of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. (Most of the other YIJ books were for younger kids, like the one below.)

5) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Reader by Ben Harper (4/1/2008)
This is another Scholastic title, but geared toward intermediate readers (ages 8 - 11).

6) Indiana Jones Scrapbook (no author listed; 4/1/2008)
ANOTHER Scholastic title, but I have no idea what this one is about.

7) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks like a bind up of the three original Indiana Jones movie novelizations as it's listed as being 720 pages in length.

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.COM (U.S.)

1) Glow-in-the-Dark Indiana Jones Ultimate Sticker Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
This is strictly for kids and is only 16 pages in length.

2) Indiana Jones Ultimate Stick Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
Another one for kids.

3) Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
Amazon notes that this book is also for kids, but is pretty substantial at 144 pages. I have no idea what it could be. Sounds cool though.

4) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks to be the same as the bind up listed on the Canadian site, so at least we know that one will be easy to get.

So there you have it. Looks like we may have some fun stuff to look forward to. I really hope they bring out some new original stories as well and not just adaptations of the various films. Keep your fingers crossed.

walker

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I expected a "bind up" of the novelizations, like they did for Star Wars. I also think they should do 2 bind ups of the 6 MacGregor novels.
I thought I'd have a reason to open wy wallet by now. Soon!

fixer79

walker said:
Amazon notes that this book is also for kids, but is pretty substantial at 144 pages. I have no idea what it could be. Sounds cool though.

Sweet! I really love those DK guides... They always have great photographs and artwork. Expect to see some cool closeups of Indy props and maquettes and stuff...

They've already published such guides based on the entire Star Wars saga, Detective Comics characters, Marvel Comics characters, LEGO and Pirates of the Carribean. They were all great!

Still, what I'd still love to see are some seperate 'the art of' Indy books, like the ones they did for each Star Wars OT film years and years ago. The ones that got rereleased with an extra chapter when the Special Editions came out.
THAT would definitely be cool!

JimmyPSHayes

I LOVE the DK books. They're great!! And I'm also a comic retailer and I order the comic-themed ones for my store and they sell fantastically!! And I'm gonna stock TONS of the Indy ones when they come out.

Shortie

Hopefully there'll be some more new adventure Indy books. Next year shall from now on be called "The Return of the Man with the Hat". ;)

Stoo

Thanks for the info, walker. I am really hoping for an illustrated screenplay with storyboards & artwork.
Now you guys have me all stoked up for the DK "Ultimate Guide". Sounds great!

Stoo

Hear ya, Jimmy. I don't collect Indy toys so the prospect of new books to add to the shelf has me completely jazzed.:cool:

Dr.Sartorius

I wish they would start a new series of Indy novels. A series that covers what happens between Last Crusade and Indy 4 would be awesome.

Montana_Jones

Dr.Sartorius said:
I wish they would start a new series of Indy novels. A series that covers what happens between Last Crusade and Indy 4 would be awesome.
I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you there! Perhaps they should also adapt Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine into a novel.

JimmyPSHayes

Montana_Jones said:
I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you there! Perhaps they should also adapt Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine into a novel.
That's a great idea!!! I hope they do audio books to. I have a CD of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and I listen to it in the car all the time.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
From what I hear they are looking at expanding the book line, but first they want to gauge the market and see how much interest there is in Indy first.

Gobi-1

walker said:
Wow! I wasn't expecting to see this. A week or two back I mentioned that there were two new Indy books, one available now (Indiana Jones Biografia - now available at Powell's Books online site) and another entitled The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, due sometime in early 2008. Now I just found another dozen or so additional books. Lucasfilm must really be ramping up the licensing efforts. I found a number of these on Amazon's Canadian site, so I'm uncertain if they'll be available here in the U.S.

Here's the complete list:

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.CA (CANADA)

1) Indiana Jones: Last Crusade Novelization by Ryder Windham (pubbing on 4/1/2008)

2) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

3) Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

Since there have already been novelizations written for the three movies, I think the listings above are a little deceptive. Ryder Windham writes a lot of books for DK Publishing, and they specialize in very heavily illustrated, hardcover "behind the scenes" movie tie in books. I suspect these are the books the Lucas mentioned a month or two ago which document the making of the original films.

Ryder Windham wrote junior novelations of the original Star Wars trilogy back in 2004. Looks he'll be doing the same thing for the previous Indy films. They probably will be from Scholastic and not DK.

250px-Ep4_junior.jpg
250px-Ep5_junior.jpg
250px-Ep6_junior.jpg

walker said:
4) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Novelization by James Luceno (4/1/2008)
Scholastic is publishing this for the young adult set (ages 12 - 16). This makes sense as Luceno has a history with Indy, having written the YA novel that was adapted from two episodes of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. (Most of the other YIJ books were for younger kids, like the one below.)

I wonder if this isn't the adult novelization. The Indiana Jones 4 Movie Reader by Ben Harper sounds like the Junior novelization.

walker said:
5) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Reader by Ben Harper (4/1/2008)
This is another Scholastic title, but geared toward intermediate readers (ages 8 - 11).

6) Indiana Jones Scrapbook (no author listed; 4/1/2008)
ANOTHER Scholastic title, but I have no idea what this one is about.

Ryder Windham wrote two scrapbooks for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. They are basical movie guides for children. It details the characters, the storyline, and the people behind the scenes. The AotC scrapbook was from Random House, not sure about RotS.

250px-Attack_of_the_Clones_Scrapbook.jpg
250px-Revenge_of_the_Sith_Scrapbook.jpg

Scholastic did release three scrapbooks for the original Star Wars trilogy back in 1997. They were all written by Mark Cotta Vaz.

250px-Complete_Scrapbook_1.jpg
250px-Galactic_Empire_Scrapbook.jpg
250px-Rebel_Alliance_Scrapbook.jpg

walker said:
7) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks like a bind up of the three original Indiana Jones movie novelizations as it's listed as being 720 pages in length.

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.COM (U.S.)

1) Glow-in-the-Dark Indiana Jones Ultimate Sticker Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
This is strictly for kids and is only 16 pages in length.

2) Indiana Jones Ultimate Stick Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
Another one for kids.

This is the one to look forward to. Ryder Windham wrote "Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide" which was a follow up the Visual Guides for the previous films. James Luceno wrote the guide for Revenge of the Sith.

250px-Ultimate-visual-guide.jpg
275px-Ep3VDcover.jpg

walker said:
4) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks to be the same as the bind up listed on the Canadian site, so at least we know that one will be easy to get.

So there you have it. Looks like we may have some fun stuff to look forward to. I really hope they bring out some new original stories as well and not just adaptations of the various films. Keep your fingers crossed.

walker

Hope my info and pictures help you get an idea of what we can expect.
:whip:

Last edited:

Avilos

I am surprised we have not heard anything yet on the comic book front. Presumably Dark Horse still has the rights. I can't imagine given their long relationship with Lucasfilm it going to anyone else.

Wishlist/speculation

An adaptation of Indy IV, also maybe a new miniseries to lead up the the film
The adaptations of the first 3 films reprinted and recolored

In the long term I could see-

The original Marvel series reprinted
All of Dark Horse's own miniseries that are long out of print put in TPB
The young Indy comics in TPB

Dark Horse does not but out as many Star Wars miniseries as they use to. Instead focusing on 3 monthly series.

So maybe a new monthly Indy comic is possible!

JimmyPSHayes

I'm a comic retailer and I ask Dark Horse about this all the time. I haven't asked in 6 months, so the answer might be different now. I'm HOPING that the San Diego comicon next month will bring some good news.

Grimdiana Bones

walker said:
walker

Could this possibly be selected other Macgregor books republished? It would be pretty cool if they collected all old indy novels and created a several book collection.