General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Touchy touchy!
You don't want to be touched by someone you love?:p

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm referring to MY source, ( I guessed (wrong) that yours was as definitive), INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC The Art of Special Effects by Thomas Smith, and the source of my quotes. Including it's second sentence, pg 66, not YOURS.
Well, the way it was written wasn't very clear. (Please, Rocket, let's not get in to a debate over misinterpretation/illiteracy.;)) Yes, I have that book a what a great one it is!(y) Never read the whole thing, though, so I'll check out the page. Do you have "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives"? The jeep is only 26cm long so if Ken dolls were used they were scaled down to match the size of the driver "puppet".

Rocket Surgeon said:
Starlog...hmmm, maybe you should roll them up into starter logs for the fireplace...
Ha ha. Nice one.:D Funny but...try "reading booksh inshtead of burning them." Is that how you treat a bona-fide source when it conflicts with your side of the debate? The 1st time Go-Motion was used at ILM was for the legs of the tauntaun. If I remember correctly, it was a 1980 interview with Phil Tippett (Mr. Stop-Motion Animation himself) but don't have the mags with me to confirm. Surely there is someone here who can back this up...

Now, if I burned all my old Starlogs then I wouldn't be able to transcribe the "Blade Runner"-Rick Deckard-w/fedora quotes for you.:p

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well, they weren't remote controlled, hell they didn't even remote control the dummies on the rope bridge in Temple! They were just "motorized" flailing wildly, not controlled! And that was a major scene! But I anxiously wait your ken doll source!
D'oh, yeah, I should NOT have edited my post to include the falling Thugs comment because I knew they were only motorized.:eek: The periscope-Indy was supposedly remote-control which I why I wrote that. If you actually watch the shot of Gobler & Co., their arms ARE moving in a anatomically-realistic, controlled fashion (especially the gunner)! I don't have a Ken doll source, it was you who brought it up and I'm just making an educated guess based on that. Regardless of which process they used to create the movement of the limbs, it was a "modern" technique c.1980/81.

Speaking of "modern", CGI isn't "new" anymore so the effects in "Skull" aren't as head-scratching/fascinating as the innovative ideas from the previous 3. Could Indy 5 give us something new?:confused:

Crack that whip

Wow. I just checked out this dauntingly lengthy thread for the first time in a while, and almost immediately I found this exchange...

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Lance Quazar said:
Lonsome_Drifter said:
Lance Quazar said:
Lonsome_Drifter said:
He never used the whip much in ToD either. And, how about no CGI? I also want to see matte paintings again! I loved them in ToD. The shot of Pankot from afar was breath-taking.

Are you kidding? He uses the whip more in "Doom" than in any other film.

"LC" only has two(!) uses of the whip and neither of them are combat-related.

This is from the top of my head, so don't be mad if I miss some.
He uses his whip in Doom to swing down toward the Sankara Stones, to whip across the cables and land in the mine-cart, to whip the sword from one of the Thugees, and to whip Willie around the waste. That's not that much.

Yes, but he uses the whip twice during the escape from the temple - to swing across catwalks while being shot at and then to swing down to the cart. But it's all part of the same sequence.

I guess it's not quite as much as Raiders, but it's far more than the other 2.

Raiders:

Whips gun from Baranca
Swings across chasm in temple and back again
Whips thugs in Cairo
Climbs Anubis statue in Well of Souls
Dragged from truck

Not many actual separate instances, but definitely the most interesting and iconic uses.

That's what I meant when I said he used it to whip down to the mine-cart. But, I do agree with you 100%. Indiana Jones needs to use his whip more if part five is made. But, in ToD he never used his whip that much. Raiders (like you said) used the whip more than any of the movies.

Whip usage counts... again? Hrmm... it seems I need to dust off my old running tally!

Yours truly said:
He uses the whip in Raiders of the Lost Ark:
  • to disarm Barranca
  • to brush off tarantulas
  • to swing across the pit
  • to take the poker away from Toht
  • to fight off the hired thugs in Cairo
  • to climb the statue in the Well of Souls
  • to drag himself under and behind the truck and pull himself back to it
  • to tie himself to the periscope

... in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:
  • to fight / choke / hang the Thuggee assassin in his room
  • to swing from the elephant statue across the chasm in the Thuggee temple
  • to swing from the light fixture from one catwalk to another in the mines
  • to fight and disarm the Thuggees by the cliff
  • to pull Willie back to himself for a kiss
(additionally, when Indy is captured, the giant Thuggee whips Indy with it)

... in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
  • to stave off the lion and get pulled up to the train car roof by "Fedora" (arguably two uses, arguably one)
  • to swing outside the castle wall over to Henry, Sr.'s room
  • to grab Henry, Sr. to keep the tank track from pulling him over the front of the tank

... in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (or The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones):
  • to disarm and fight Demetrios

... and in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
  • to pull the gun away from the Russian soldier
  • to swing from the light fixture in the warehouse
  • to try to pull Mac to safety

Essentially, when leaving out the Chronicles to focus solely upon the motion pictures, the pattern is a clear one of decreasing whip usage with each successive movie (in release order, of course, as opposed to internal chronology), though between the last couple movies it may have leveled off around a minimum of three uses per cinematic outing. I don't know that The Beards would drop it any lower than that, unless they specifically set out to make a fifth film that departed more radically from the formula / template than any of the movies have to date (more in line with the TV show, say). I don't know that they'd do that with a theatrical release, but you never know...

And yeah, the final use in Raiders is a little on the "implied" side, but still. ;) Even without it, it has more than Temple, which has more than Crusade and so on. I think it simply got used so much more in the beginning because it was new, they were establishing the character and also throwing in basically everything they could into this big wonderful stew they first concocted, and whatever didn't fit got saved for the next outing. With the later movies, I think there was less impetus for them to "explore" what they could do with it, and more of a drive to simply find a couple places here and there where they could use it at all, for the sake of "completeness."

That said, since the count is so low in the last two movies, I expect it wouldn't take a huge effort on the filmmakers' part to reverse the trend and have a higher number of instances of whip usages in the fifth movie than in the fourth or third, if they wanted to, given how few times it was used in those two. But then, given the fact they were going to use it in the cemetery scene in the last movie but opted not to, it doesn't seem as though hitting a particular whip usage quota is a particular priority. Just for what it's worth, of course...

Stoo said:
You don't want to be touched by someone you love?:p
"I want someone that is going to arouse my intellect as well as my loins."

Stoo said:
Well, the way it was written wasn't very clear. (Please, Rocket, let's not get in to a debate over misinterpretation/illiteracy.
Well since you're the sole objector, I'll take it as an isolated incident.
Stoo said:
Yes, I have that book a what a great one it is!(y) Never read the whole thing, though, so I'll check out the page.
Check out 85 for some ESB insight as well as 96 to make my post more intellegible.

Stoo said:
Do you have "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives"? The jeep is only 26cm long so if Ken dolls were used they were scaled down to match the size of the driver "puppet".
Now I definitley meant the Nazi's in the Ark's fire column at the end...the whole air cannon. As far as the Nazis off thecliff, maybe articulated puppets...but I firmly reject any notion thay the bothered to power them. I would love to be proved wrong!
Stoo said:
Ha ha. Nice one.:D Funny but...try "reading booksh inshtead of burning them." Is that how you treat a bona-fide source when it conflicts with your side of the debate?
Obviously we are NEVER going to agree that Star Log is bona fide!

Stoo said:
The 1st time Go-Motion was used at ILM was for the legs of the tauntaun. If I remember correctly, it was a 1980 interview with Phil Tippett (Mr. Stop-Motion Animation himself) but don't have the mags with me to confirm. Surely there is someone here who can back this up...
Get back to me once you get to page 85.
Stoo said:
Now, if I burned all my old Starlogs then I wouldn't be able to transcribe the "Blade Runner"-Rick Deckard-w/fedora quotes for you.:p
I didn't expect that, but it would be most welcome AND gracious!
Stoo said:
D'oh, yeah, I should NOT have edited my post to include the falling Thugs comment because I knew they were only motorized.:eek: The periscope-Indy was supposedly remote-control which I why I wrote that.
Ya know I remember there being a remote controlled submarine miniature, but NEVER a remote controlled Indy...where did you get that one?

Stoo said:
If you actually watch the shot of Gobler & Co., their arms ARE moving in a anatomically-realistic, controlled fashion (especially the gunner)
Since they're built from the skeleton up that doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility...again I question the "powered" limbs.

Stoo said:
I don't have a Ken doll source, it was you who brought it up and I'm just making an educated guess based on that. Regardless of which process they used to create the movement of the limbs, it was a "modern" technique c.1980/81,
Ray Harryhausen? King Kong?

The Ken Dolls is a Richard Edlund quote and is from the finale...

Stoo said:
Speaking of "modern", CGI isn't "new" anymore so the effects in "Skull" aren't as head-scratching/fascinating as the innovative ideas from the previous 3. Could Indy 5 give us something new?:confused:
Agreed, but they paled in comparison to Lord of the Rings quality...(and that hurts), even though Rings had a coupleof "Scooby Doo" moments.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
Agreed, but they paled in comparison to Lord of the Rings quality...(and that hurts), even though Rings had a coupleof "Scooby Doo" moments.

To be honest - I never really liked many of the CGI effects in TLOTR. I like Gollum, but I think that’s more to do with Andy Serkis’ performance. Some of the subtler stuff was good, but I thought the battles were quite unconvincing (particularly Treebeard and the battle of Isengard).

In an age of digital effects, I’d never expect an Indy movie to compete with a Star Wars, Hobbit or Iron Man movie (after all, Indy movies aren’t all wall to wall special/visual effects), but I would like the effects within an Indy movie not to be largely incongruous. Give or take the odd mine cart doll, Messerschmitt and prairie dog/monkey, Indy movies have achieved a good mix. :)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Since they're built from the skeleton up that doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility...again I question the "powered" limbs.

Ray Harryhausen? King Kong?

Too much to say but...O.K. Rocket. BE REAL. I was talking about the cliff sequence, not the ghost finale.

I would loooooove to have this subject split into its own thread (and accompanied with the thread about the CGI T.V. version of the shot) but that's up to the MODs.

Lance Quazar

Crack that whip said:
That said, since the count is so low in the last two movies, I expect it wouldn't take a huge effort on the filmmakers' part to reverse the trend and have a higher number of instances of whip usages in the fifth movie than in the fourth or third, if they wanted to, given how few times it was used in those two. But then, given the fact they were going to use it in the cemetery scene in the last movie but opted not to, it doesn't seem as though hitting a particular whip usage quota is a particular priority. Just for what it's worth, of course...

They need to bring the whip back in a big way in the next film. One or two more novel uses for it would be appreciated, rather than just the usual disarm/swing duo.

It's funny how our perception works, I always assumed "Doom" had the most uses of the whip, since Indy is gunless throughout the majority of the film.

But "Raiders" wins hands down not only for number of uses but variety.

That said, a good four to five times is enough, as long as they can come up with at least unique usage, something like the Daranbont-scripted biplane scene from "City of the Gods."

Stoo said:
Too much to say but...O.K. Rocket. BE REAL. I was talking about the cliff sequence, not the ghost finale.

Be real? The debate cropped up with Vile over the finale, and you made the sweeping counter-statement about Go-Motion. Unless you have some reference that the puppets used were motorized or remote controlled, I'll defer to the ILM SFX book. It says Go-Motion was post Empire and too time consuming for the small/short shots. The Motorized Temple Dummies were untested and a one shot risk, (which it seems to me wouldn't be the case if they had this experience under their collective belts already...so to say). There's no reference I know of that claims otherwise. That's as real as it gets. Please check those pages and tell me how you "interpret" them.:hat:

This is a much better sparring subject then a potentially gay Short Round! Can't wait for a full on fight!:hat:

James

Lance Quazar said:
It's funny how our perception works, I always assumed "Doom" had the most uses of the whip

Yeah, I didn't even notice the lack of whip in LC or KOTCS the first time I saw them. (Technically, I guess KOTCS would've had more than LC if they hadn't cut the cemetery scene.)

Judging from the above list, the key is to have at least one scene where the whip is used in a memorable fashion. Beyond that, you start getting into throwaway moments that only a fan would easily recall (ie. tarantulas; Well of Souls; Thuggee choke; etc.)

However, everyone tends to remember stuff like:

ROTLA - Cairo marketplace
TOD - Thuggees in the jungle
LC - Swinging into the castle
KOTCS - Swinging down from the crates

Of course, I still welcome a greater emphasis on the whip in any future sequels. After all, if you're going to have Ford undergo extensive training for the weapon, you may as well employ it. :whip:

AlivePoet

Rocket Surgeon said:
This is a much better sparring subject then a potentially gay Short Round! Can't wait for a full on fight!:hat:

Who says he isn't gay? I mean, we don't have much evidence to counter it. He's prepubescent for most of Temple of Doom, but I swear it looks like he hit puberty hard when he's encountering the maharaja. There's a tangible bit of intimacy going on between those two... ;)

AlivePoet said:
Who says he isn't gay? I mean, we don't have much evidence to counter it. He's prepubescent for most of Temple of Doom, but I swear it looks like he hit puberty hard when he's encountering the maharaja. There's a tangible bit of intimacy going on between those two... ;)

Did you miss the full-on hijacked thread? It was hilarious! I think it was: why is Mutt checking out guys asses? ...or some kind of goof on Mutt thread. I remember KingisKong getting bent outof shape because he didn't take the time to read and realize the rank winds of, well, rankdom had shifted to shorty. The conversation was all over the board...VERY funny.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Be real? The debate cropped up with Vile over the finale, and you made the sweeping counter-statement about Go-Motion. Unless you have some reference that the puppets used were motorized or remote controlled, I'll defer to the ILM SFX book. It says Go-Motion was post Empire and too time consuming for the small/short shots. The Motorized Temple Dummies were untested and a one shot risk, (which it seems to me wouldn't be the case if they had this experience under their collective belts already...so to say). There's no reference I know of that claims otherwise. That's as real as it gets. Please check those pages and tell me how you "interpret" them.
Be real, as in, please don't expect an answer regarding powered limbs for the jeep shot. You confused the issue with the Ken doll/air cannon bit and I only suggested it because that would've be filmed live, not frame-by-frame. Now that you've clarified your Ken doll reference to the finale, we can stratch that notion and move on...this was already explained. (It's a mystery as to why you keep bringing up your discussion with Darth Vile, re: the finale, because it has no bearing on this one about the cliff shot.) The life-size dummies w/mechanics for the bridge chop wasn't really what I was referring to initially. I meant the Thugs falling off the cliff face later. There's Go-Motion all over the place in "Doom"! It was the latest & greatest.

Plus, "the debate cropped up" with Dr.Jonesy saying that the original trilogy used the state-of-the-art/cutting edge effects of its time, to which you offered a foolish rebuttal...and that, my friend, is the real point of this MONSTROUS tangent!;)

Rocket Surgeon said:
Check out 85 for some ESB insight as well as 96 to make my post more intellegible.
Pg. 85: "But when The Empire Stikes Back was being filmed in 1978-1980, Go-Motion was still a thing of the future."

The equipment built specifically for "Dragonslayer" was officially called Go-Motion but the name & technique existed before the proper technology was actually designed. You don't need the device to create a blur as it can be simulated in other ways, albeit, not as precise. (Not to mention, the text in this book is very simplified/kiddie-fied.)

Pg. 96: "However, Go-Motion is rarely used in this type of short scene where human doubles appear, since the set-up for Go-Motion is too time-consuming to be worthwhile when the shot is too brief."

It says "rarely used" not "never". Anyway, the text is referring to the age AFTER "Dragonslayer". Before that, the process was still being developed and the production cost was not as predictable as it became a few years later. (The book was published in 1986.)

I'm assuming you missed pages 88 + 90? See below and take note of the highlights...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Obviously we are NEVER going to agree that Star Log is bona fide!
Whatever...Ignoring "Starlog"?:confused: Shame on you. Thanks to that mag, I knew about Go-Motion almost a full year before "Dragonslayer" hit the theatres. Remembering now, it was #37, 1980. My very 1st issue (and I think there's one up on ebay. "Try it, you'll like it!":p).

cc3starlog37.jpg

Here are some excerpts (from that book you're clinging to) which solidify the truth about the origins of Go-Motion:

Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects, pg 88.
"During many of the snow battle shots, the camera was moving. Because of this, a motion control system was used to advance the camera during the exposure of the individual frames. In one shot, the camera represented Luke Skywalker's point of view as he flew around and under the legs of one walker. This had to be executed between animated movement of the walker.":whip:

Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects, pg 90.
"In some shots, to add realism and introduce some naturalistic blurring to the movement, the tauntaun and the camera were moved with computer-controlled motors.":gun:

For the jeep/cliff shot, the camera is moving and the objects are receding in the distance. This means, when filming the miniatures on fixed rigs, the camera had to zoom out (while panning left) to create the illusion of the jeep & men getting smaller. The body movements are fluid and most of the animation team was the same as on "Empire". In this case, it's the movement of the camera that creates the blur. Look at the shot (ZOOM-IN if your player has the ability) and you will see.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Ya know I remember there being a remote controlled submarine miniature, but NEVER a remote controlled Indy...where did you get that one?
The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, pg 117.
"We put a little remote-controlled figure of Indiana Jones on top of the conning tower and we shot this out in the Bay."

Rocket Surgeon said:
You can see a box of them in "Complete Making of...", pg 115.:D

----
Indy 5 possiblity: Indy leaves Marion for Wu Han's sister but when she finds out that Dr. Jones played a part in her brother's death, she's out for blood-revenge! She manages to slash Indy with a katana (or something similar) on the right side of his face, causing him to lose his eye!:dead:

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
They need to bring the whip back in a big way in the next film.
Why? Why? Why did they exclude that whip scene from the cemetary in "Skull"?:confused: No. 5 needs more whip.:whip:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Why? Why? Why did they exclude that whip scene from the cemetary in "Skull"?:confused: No. 5 needs more whip.:whip:

It's too bad George Hall's not around to play a late-in-life Indy any longer. Indy V could have a contemporary-set epilogue in which it turns out he's been telling the whole story we've just seen, bookends style, to somebody over coffee, finishing his latte and his story at the same time, and before the credits roll he goes back for another and specifically asks for more whip this time.

Stoo said:
Be real, as in, please don't expect an answer regarding powered limbs for the jeep shot.
Oh, duckin me Balboa!
Stoo said:
(It's a mystery as to why you keep bringing up your discussion with Darth Vile, re: the finale, because it has no bearing on this one about the cliff shot.)
Really? I thought I mentioned it once...I guess it's that misinterpretation issue you "keep bringing up" or suffer from, either or.

Stoo said:
There's Go-Motion all over the place in "Doom"! It was the latest & greatest.
Really Stoo, the emotions are heart warming, but are hardly a good substitute for an actual reference.

Stoo said:
Plus, "the debate cropped up" with Dr.Jonesy saying that the original trilogy used the state-of-the-art/cutting edge effects of its time, to which you offered a foolish rebuttal...and that, my friend, is the real point of this MONSTROUS tangent!;)
Personally I stand behind this as the reason for the tangent...

Pg. 85: "But when The Empire Stikes Back was being filmed in 1978-1980, Go-Motion was still a thing of the future."

...predominant, but surely not the sole reason.

Stoo said:
The equipment built specifically for "Dragonslayer" was officially called Go-Motion but the name & technique existed before the proper technology was actually designed. You don't need the device to create a blur as it can be simulated in other ways, albeit, not as precise. (Not to mention, the text in this book is very simplified/kiddie-fied.)

As I say later: You have to walk before you can run, but that doesn't make walking the same as running sweetheart!

Wow, it's amazing how you can marginalize a "bona-fide" hard cover volume, whose entire reason for being is to showcase the special effects depatment in question approved by god Lucas himself, then scrap it in favor of some ramblings in a magazine...StarLog at that! Your fandom seems to blind your reason! God knows you couldn't confuse a publication with the esteemed moniker "Starlog" as kiddie-fied! And since you like to pointout the "real point(s)" of the thread, it's not what you've re-defined...it's what you've unequivically stated! Your "foolish" submission of Go-Motion as a rebuttal cannot be simply redefined now! There are many effects they employed in film over the years only to tweek them, give them fancy ILM names and brand them for themselves. Induced blur is NOT Go-Motion. It's a technique unto itself, which, like the use of miniatures was continually tweeked, (no matter how many times you say Go-Motion, close your eyes, cover your ears and stamp your feet! Doesn't make it so, no matter how good your Herman Munster impression!). THAT is the real point of this Monstrous Tangent!

Pg. 96: "However, Go-Motion is rarely used in this type of short scene where human doubles appear, since the set-up for Go-Motion is too time-consuming to be worthwhile when the shot is too brief."

Stoo said:
It says "rarely used" not "never". Anyway, the text is referring to the age AFTER "Dragonslayer". Before that, the process was still being developed and the production cost was not as predictable as it became a few years later. (The book was published in 1986.)
Darn! I missed your writing credit in the bibliography...which revised edition are you quoting from? You'll notice they didn't say Go-Motion WAS used for the tasks you insist yet they DO say Dragonslayer. Go ahead ask me to prove a negative, you have in as many words! And where are these quotes from that pulp rag you cling to/keep mentioning? (love that cling to bit! so evocative!)
Stoo said:
Whatever...Ignoring "Starlog"?:confused: Shame on you. Thanks to that mag, I knew about Go-Motion almost a full year before "Dragonslayer" hit the theatres. Remembering now, it was #37, 1980. My very 1st issue (and I think there's one up on ebay. "Try it, you'll like it!":p).
Yeah ignoring Starlog! You knew about Go-Motion a year before it hit theaters! Woo Hoo! They thought of a clever name for it while they were shooting it! Wow! And the put out a press release which bumped the x-ray specs and Charles Atlas ads to the back of the issue! YEAH! Starlog, next you'll be quoting that lump of s#!t Indiana Jones: Off the Beaten Path! I read many a Starlog...don't be silly. Because of this "conversation" I'm joyfully shredding them and tossing them in the air as confetti dancing on the blood stained grin of Christoher Lee! Please! You've done the right thing by your Starlogs, by default or design, and turned them into fly catchers and homes for underprivleged arachnids, Sally Strothers would be proud! What a fitting end to your life's pursuits! Who knows in a 1000 years...[/QUOTE]

Stoo said:
Here are some excerpts (from that book you're clinging to) which solidify the truth about the origins of Go-Motion:

So what does this prove? That like all artists, while creating they DISCOVERED a technique? They were too lazy to keep cleaning the vaseline off the lenses! Laziness did I ever offend thee!

Stoo said:
Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects, pg 88.
"During many of the snow battle shots, the camera was moving. Because of this, a motion control system was used to advance the camera during the exposure of the individual frames. In one shot, the camera represented Luke Skywalker's point of view as he flew around and under the legs of one walker. This had to be executed between animated movement of the walker.":whip:Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects, pg 90."In some shots, to add realism and introduce some naturalistic blurring to the movement, the tauntaun and the camera were moved with computer-controlled motors.":gun:

With this resoning you can include smearing the lens with vaseline, bumping the puppet, and/or shaking the table the model is standing on while the film is being exposed to create realistic blur and call it Go-Motion.

But no matter how you slice it or revise it, it's not Go-Motion.:hat:

To quote a fine American, "BE REAL":p

Stoo said:
For the jeep/cliff shot, the camera is moving and the objects are receding in the distance. This means, when filming the miniatures on fixed rigs, the camera had to zoom out (while panning left) to create the illusion of the jeep & men getting smaller. The body movements are fluid and most of the animation team was the same as on "Empire". In this case, it's the movement of the camera that creates the blur. Look at the shot (ZOOM-IN if your player has the ability) and you will see.

Wow, you're really clinging to this whole revisionist history! If that's not a entirely acurate term how about overly inclusive.

You have to learn to walk before you can run, that doesn't make walking running Stoo.

Stoo said:
I]The Complete Making of Indiana Jones[/I], pg 117.
"We put a little remote-controlled figure of Indiana Jones on top of the conning tower and we shot this out in the Bay."
\

Congratulations, I conceede victory on this point, Pyrrhic as it is. Thanks for the clarification, as you're so fond of recalling lost issues of Starlog, I mentioned earlier I didn't remember that...

Indy 5 possiblity: They go back to models/matte paintings and apply the CGI sparingly. (maybe more of a dream).

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
It's too bad George Hall's not around to play a late-in-life Indy any longer. Indy V could have a contemporary-set epilogue in which it turns out he's been telling the whole story we've just seen, bookends style, to somebody over coffee, finishing his latte and his story at the same time, and before the credits roll he goes back for another and specifically asks for more whip this time.
Ha! That reminds me of the very last episode of "St. Elsewhere" (where the entire series was all the mind of an autistic child staring into a snow-globe). In the swirl of the coffee cream, Indy would see the Ark ghosts or the rotating, flying saucer.:D

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really Stoo, the emotions are heart warming, but are hardly a good substitute for an actual reference.
:confused: ??? The abundance of Go-Motion in "Doom" is a well-documented fact. (Do you really need reference for that?)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, it's amazing how you can marginalize a "bona-fide" hard cover volume, whose entire reason for being is to showcase the special effects depatment in question approved by god Lucas himself, then scrap it in favor of some ramblings in a magazine...StarLog at that! Your fandom seems to blind your reason! God knows you couldn't confuse a publication with the esteemed moniker "Starlog" as kiddie-fied! And since you like to pointout the "real point(s)" of the thread, it's not what you've re-defined...it's what you've unequivically stated! Your "foolish" submission of Go-Motion as a rebuttal cannot be simply redefined now! There are many effects they employed in film over the years only to tweek them, give them fancy ILM names and brand them for themselves. Induced blur is NOT Go-Motion. It's a technique unto itself, which, like the use of miniatures was continually tweeked, (no matter how many times you say Go-Motion, close your eyes, cover your ears and stamp your feet! Doesn't make it so, no matter how good your Herman Munster impression!).
Don't blow things out of proportion, Rocket. I am not "marginalizing" the ENTIRE book. (I even said it was "great" and USED 2 PASSAGES to support what I'm saying.) The quotes from the ILM employees are bona-fide but SOME of the explanatory text is simplified, generalizing and omits certain details. That is a fact. Remember, you asked me to "interpret" the statements on those 2 pages and that's precisely what I did.

Re: Rocket Surgeon, "Your fandom seems to blind your reason"
---
Fandom of Starlog? The issue had quotes from an animator and is not the only source of info regarding pre-"Dragonslayer" Go-Motion. (It's just the only one I can remember clearly and can pinpoint.) You're really skewing things here (and doing a great Herman Munster impersonation.:p)

Re: Rocket Surgeon, "Induced blur is NOT Go-Motion. It's a technique unto itself,"
---
I never claimed that it was. Please read again:
Stoo said:
You don't need the device to create a blur as it can be simulated in other ways, albeit, not as precise.
Induced blur is not a "technique" (as you called it). It's an "effect" and there are various "techniques" that can be used to achieve it. (Honestly, Rocket, if you're trying to educate me about animation then you can save your breath.);)

Rocket Surgeon said:
You'll notice they didn't say Go-Motion WAS used for the tasks you insist yet they DO say Dragonslayer.
And...so...what? This is extremely weak. There are other "tasks" missing from the list, too (which is another example of simplification in the text of the ILM book). So according to you, if the "task" is not in that short paragraph, then it was never done? The brief list on this page is NOT complete so it can't be treated as gospel. Doing so only limits your view of the larger picture.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yeah ignoring Starlog! You knew about Go-Motion a year before it hit theaters! Woo Hoo! They thought of a clever name for it while they were shooting it! Wow! And the put out a press release which bumped the x-ray specs and Charles Atlas ads to the back of the issue! YEAH! Starlog, next you'll be quoting that lump of s#!t Indiana Jones: Off the Beaten Path! I read many a Starlog...don't be silly. Because of this "conversation" I'm joyfully shredding them and tossing them in the air as confetti dancing on the blood stained grin of Christoher Lee! Please! You've done the right thing by your Starlogs, by default or design, and turned them into fly catchers and homes for underprivleged arachnids, Sally Strothers would be proud! What a fitting end to your life's pursuits! Who knows in a 1000 years...
I was hoping this would be a sane and rational conversation but instead you type this garbage? (FYI, I don't even own "Off the Beaten Path".) Be real and not Herman Munster!

Rocket Surgeon said:
So what does this prove? That like all artists, while creating they DISCOVERED a technique? They were too lazy to keep cleaning the vaseline off the lenses! Laziness did I ever offend thee!
:confused:??? It proves that Go-Motion started with "Empire". Your reply proves that you'll spin anything to discredit the evidence and suit yourself .

The invention of Go-Mo was not an accidental "discovery" by ILM. The process was an intentional solution for creating blur with the latest technology (hence, "modern trick"). To repeat, the method was already ESTABLISHED and had THE NAME, "go-motion", BEFORE the device for "Dragonslayer" was even built . The DEVICE was built in order to perfect the process and use it in a more controlled manner. Why is this so hard for someone of your intelligence to understand? It's not rocket science, Rocket Surgeon.

Rocket Surgeon said:
With this resoning you can include smearing the lens with vaseline, bumping the puppet, and/or shaking the table the model is standing on while the film is being exposed to create realistic blur and call it Go-Motion.
Wow. Rocket did some googling and gave himself a crash-course on animation blur. Nice try but you've excluded some other methods (which I guess DON'T EXIST because, according to your logic, they weren't mentioned in your internet search.) If you're feeling so Google Happy, why not do a search for Go-Motion in "Empire"?

Rocket Surgeon said:
But no matter how you slice it or revise it, it's not Go-Motion.:hat:
Now you've completely lost scope. Creating a blur effect with the use of a motion-control system (designed by ILM) is the VERY BASIS of Go-Motion! If you're going to dismiss the relevant quotes from your own ILM book with cheap shots about my ability to "walk before running", then it's quite clear you still have a lot to learn.

Rocket Surgeon said:
You have to walk before you can run, but that doesn't make walking the same as running sweetheart!
You have to learn to walk before you can run, that doesn't make walking running Stoo.
I run quite well, thanks, but you're either still crawling or your legs have failed and you've nothing left to stand on. There's no "redefining" going on. The problem here is your misunderstanding & definition of what Go-Motion actually is. (Have you reviewed the jeep shot with an objective eye, as suggested?)

Rocket Surgeon said:
Congratulations, I conceede victory on this point, Pyrrhic as it is. Thanks for the clarification, as you're so fond of recalling lost issues of Starlog, I mentioned earlier I didn't remember that...
Re: Remote controlled periscope Indy
---
Erm...You said "I've NEVER read that before. Where did you get that one?" but now it has become "I didn't remember that..." Talk about revisionist...:rolleyes:

Your whole post doesn't provide anything other than disparaging comments and a completely pointless "lesson" on known, motion-blur techniques of the past. It's a mystery as to why you choose to ignore & disrespect what I've presented, all the while displaying unabashed belligerence. You want to "fight" but you have nothing to "fight" with other than 2 skimpy sentences from the ILM book and a repetative barrage of condescending insults. Way to go, Rocket...

Until you realize/acknowledge that Go-Motion began with "Empire", continuing this conversation about the "Raiders" shot is futile. I can't believe you're actually arguing about this.

As for the "Starlog" quotes, I can't provide them because they're sitting in a box in storage very far away. (However, I did point out the exact issue, #37, so go buy it off ebay and read it.):whip:

Darth Vile

Chaps,

Maybe we conclude this simply by agreeing that the Indiana Jones series has always utilised modern (at the time they were made) effects techniques. I think that was the crux of the initial conversation? :)

Stoo

Amen to that, Darth.:)

If Indy 5 gets ever gets made, it's vey possible we won't be seeing Assistant Dean Jones teaching in the classroom again.

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
If Indy 5 gets ever gets made, it's vey possible we won't be seeing Assistant Dean Jones teaching in the classroom again.

I'd LOVE to see Dean Jones in Indy V.

lovebug_herbie_and_jim.jpg

And he and Harrison Ford already worked together in "Clear and Present Danger."

Brilliant idea.