The Oscars

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Was anyone else as mystified and awed with this, as I was?

Heh, anything to get a shot of the Capitol Records building is worth it. Sinatra!

I think the offsite orchestra has been used on Broadway for some years but don't quote me on that.

In my view it was a sad year in film-- and I'm puzzeled by the strong Oscar viewership.

Agree with the observation above that the Bond tribute was not the greatest.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Heh, anything to get a shot of the Capitol Records building is worth it. Sinatra!
Rumor has it (bad Adele pun) Seth Mcfarlane trained with the same vocal coaches that worked with Sinatra.

Speaking of Seth
In my view it was a sad year in film-- and I'm puzzeled by the strong Oscar viewership

Family Guy fanboys says it all.

Don't even mention Bond, though Shirley was amazing...

conditional putdown here
for a 76 year old singer...

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Rumor has it (bad Adele pun) Seth Mcfarlane trained with the same vocal coaches that worked with Sinatra.

Interesting. Not that I know anything, I thought he was the best dancer in that one number as well.

Pale Horse said:
Family Guy fanboys says it all.

Sad thing is that I didn't even know who he was. I'm aware that there is show Family Guy but have never seen it. I'm getting old.

Pale Horse said:
conditional putdown here
for a 76 year old singer...

Heh, well compare her life to someone like a River Phoenix or Kurt Cobain. She's old enough to be their parent and they've been dead forever and she's still belting it out. Pretty amazing -- timeless almost.

Montana Smith

Seth Macfarlane is pure genius. They should award him an Oscar every time he farts.

Rumour has it Disney wants to hire him to write Indy 5, but they can't afford him.

Montana Smith said:
Seth Macfarlane is pure genius. They should award him an Oscar every time he farts.
They might as well, it makes as much sense as Pacino for scent of woman. Boy did he take that lesson to heart, he hasn't changed characters since...

Montana Smith said:
Rumour has it Disney wants to hire him to write Indy 5, but they can't afford him.
He was weak.

Speaking of choosing poorly, what possesed them to put the retarded stripper onstage with Theron?

At least she was gracefull and worked the skirt...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
They might as well, it makes as much sense as Pacino for scent of woman. Boy did he take that lesson to heart, he hasn't changed characters since...

At least he never went Cruising again.

blog-EE-Cruising-Al-Pacino.jpg

Surprisingly, Marion survived.

camp0812-02.jpg

But all good things have to end eventually.

Karen.jpg

kongisking

Montana Smith

While ground can be given to the idea that voting in the Oscars isn't based on a level playing field, the lack of a single nomination is either the greatest snub to a major movie, or a reality check.

And now for an apt quote spoken by a six time's Oscar nominee and double winner:

Alfred Pennyworth: Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Montana Smith said:
Surprisingly, Marion survived. But all good things have to end eventually.

Karen.jpg

Tell you what, the role was certainly poorly written, but she's STILL the best looking of the "Indy Girls"...

Kate+Capshaw+Hoop+Earrings+Diamond+Hoops+_HXfx7Jol-Wl.jpg

Le Saboteur

So, the nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards were finally announced. I haven't seen very many movies over the past year, but does anybody else find this year's crop particularly underwhelming? I can't think of a more uninspired crop of flicks over my roughly twenty years of watching.

Stop in over here for the complete listing. If you're entering the annual office pool, the individual ballot can be filled out over here. I'm tempted to fill it out without seeing anything more. I can almost guarantee that I'll be above 80% correct.

In fact, the Best Animated Feature is the worst group of nominees since the category was created in '02.

So outside of the cool kids, does anybody else find this crop to be unexciting?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
So outside of the cool kids, does anybody else find this crop to be unexciting?

Le Sab, you and I see the world differently. At first I was annoyed with that, (my bad) but now I've come to appreciate it. Guess I'm growing up. To that end, I actually have enjoyed this season quite a bit.

N E Way. I'm curious to know why you find this crop lackluster. I've had an opportunity to view a few screeners and have seen more of this years films than in year past. Comparatively more this year, that the last 5 combined, at least when it comes to viewing prior to the event itself. That being said, there are some films I'd recommend, some I'd pass on, and some that (as you say) are just beyond my understanding. I guess at my age, there's no way to be cool.

Forbidden Eye

Le Saboteur said:
So, the nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards were finally announced. I haven't seen very many movies over the past year, but does anybody else find this year's crop particularly underwhelming? I can't think of a more uninspired crop of flicks over my roughly twenty years of watching.

The thing is people have been saying that every single for the past several years now. They've probably have been saying that for forever. It wouldn't surprised me when 2014 ends, people will start exclaiming "this was the most boring/uneventful year of film yet" and will start looking back on 2013 realizing it wasn't so bad and that it was more eventful than this year, listing all the great films.

That being said, I will agree the pickings were pretty slim. There were some good movies this year, but they seemed to be the same 9 ones people were mentioning over and over. At least when the Best Picture race was only 5 nominees there felt like unlimited great films you could mention that somehow the Academy was foolish enough not to nominate.

I am bit surprised the Academy couldn't find it to acknowledge Inside Llewynd Davis or Saving Mr. Banks more. Both among the year's more eventful experiences, then again my days of giving a crap what the Academy thinks are somewhat over.

Spurlock

You know the best makeup category really doesn't matter when it only has 3 nominees, and they are Jackass Presents: Bad Grampa, The Lone Ranger, and Dallas Buyers Club.

Hmm... I wonder which one will win