Collecting Indy and dating

Lon

I'm curious if anyone has a big Indy collection out on display and if that is a big turn-off to women. You always hear about Star Wars or comic book collectors not being the top choice in the dating pool.

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
you just have to be patient, wait it out. :) One of them is BOUND to find it to be impressive.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't know yet. I'll let you know later. ;)

Trev

Quest

I try not to fill my entire room with Indy stuff. Luckily I'm mainly a LucasArts games collector so that brings some diversity. However I am finding myself with a lotta Indy stuff lying around my room lately :D

I guess its better than having posters of lame black/death metal bands :p

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
In response to your question (and it's a good one), I'll say this.

I have been an Indy/Star Wars fan for many years. I am currently 24, and when I was in high school, I had a HUGE Star Wars collection displayed in my room along with a very focused interest in Indiana Jones (wore the hat to school everyday, cracked the whip afterwards for all to see).

Anyway, in high school, despite my apparent geek tendancies, I had over the course of my high school career, three girlfriends. In college, before the release of Phantom Menace, I met my college girlfriend, whom I dated for a year.

After Phantom Menace, I gave up on Star Wars and packed the collection away, which gave me more time to get "geared up" and finally complete my Indiana Jones outfit. I am currently dating a wonderful, beautiful young woman who has no problem with my Indy interest because I also have a firm grasp of reality and she knows that I am driven and motivated to make something out of my life rather than live vicariously through other things. That is the most important thing to show someone (especially someone you want to date), that you are your own person and that you are not lost in your interests.

A few final notes:

Out of the girlfriends that I have had, three of them (including my current girlfriend) have stated that the ability to use a bullwhip is alluringly macho (and no, they didn't mean that in a dirty way, they meant that it's very manly-Indy to be able to sling a bullwhip around). My current girlfriend also told me that it gives her a sense of comfort and protection to know that her boyfriend has some physical prowess, strength, and a penchant for adventure. (In other words, try to think and live like Indy, not just dress like him, and women will be more open to your interest because it will make you less vicarious and more genuine - It will also make that hat on your head all the more appropriate)

All of the girlfriends that I have had loved the hat!

Indiana Jones is a series that both men and women enjoy. Men for the action and adventure, women for Harrison Ford.

As far as Star Wars goes, hmm... I got out of it because the new films were so bad that only the uber-fans were supporting them, the Jedi-robe wearing guys. Not that their bad people or anything, but the fact is the new films are generally considered to be inferior by most people, including this former Star Wars junkie, hence now Star Wars fans are viewed like Trekkies. There is little respect for it anymore outside its own niche. It is a shame, and I too regret the erosion of Star Wars, but I have faced facts. All I am saying is, in this day and age (unlike the early 90s) being a dedicated Star Wars fan now carries an unfortunate stigma of being like a Trekkie. My girlfriend knows that I once held Star Wars dear, and that I have kept the vintage stuff that reminds me of a better time, but I think that if you are asking for advice or opinions on women versus Indy and Star Wars hobbyists, I'll say this:

Be an Indyfan first, live it and love it, and enjoy it, for there is nothing in it an intelligent woman will find adverse. If you like Star Wars too, then like it, but keep your fervor in check, because Star Wars now carries a social scar since the world saw Conan's footage of Star Wars weddings, people acting out scenes from the film in robes with plastic sabers... Women generally don't warm to that anymore.

I hope this advice helps. Good luck with all your endeavors and keep me posted!

Mike

Magda

As a female, I find it both a turn-off and disturbing that a guy excessively decorates his room in tons of Indiana Jones (or Star Wars) collectibles and memorabilia. A poster or two, I wouldn't mind. But when a guy is obsessing over a male character, a movie series, or video games, the first thing that comes to mind is to run... run FAR away.

[Edited by Ameera on 03-30-2003 at 10:59 pm]

hffan2000

i feel collecting is ok but if you're gonna be in a relationship with someone let your collecting only be a hobby. i find people who focus way too much on a movie character or series to the point of obsession need to reexamine their lives. i mean indy, star wars and all that stuff is great but it's only entertainment and we shouldn't let it hurt our relationships with people. if you're in love with a special someone , show them how much you care and let that relationship grow into something rich.

Tequileros

Ameera said:
As a female, I find it both a turn-off and disturbing that a guy excessively decorates his room in tons of Indiana Jones (or Star Wars) collectibles and memorabilia. A poster or two, I wouldn't mind. But when a guy is obsessing over a male character, a movie series, or video games, the first thing that comes to mind is to run... run FAR away.

[Edited by Ameera on 03-30-2003 at 10:59 pm]

What kind of a fan are you then if you don't like the gear or posters. :rolleyes:

Magda

I'm a fan that appreciates the movies. I don't need to be a die-hard collector to prove my worth as an Indyfan. I simply find that guys who obsess over a movie need to re-examine their lives.

Indy 4

Tequileros said:
Ameera said:

[Edited by Indy 4 on 03-31-2003 at 08:13 am]

DutchIndy

Ameera said:
I'm a fan that appreciates the movies. I don't need to be a die-hard collector to prove my worth as an Indyfan. I simply find that guys who obsess over a movie need to re-examine their lives.

Well thank you!

Guys, just get you a girl who's keen on whips. They're out there, trust me. ;)

Serious. It aint a problemm at all..... till she's in your room :D Haha. So if you "meet up" in ones room, get to her room first.

-D

Raffey

I guess 'denial'...

...ain't just a river in Africa.

Individual style and hobby is one thing but obsession is something else...

When you are in your twenties and STILL have a room full of toys (not just collectible pieces but TOYS, decorate your home with nothing but first run original movie posters, run to the grocery store wearing a whip, and tell your friends when they come over not to touch your icon's Vader lightsaber autographed by James Earl Jones himself then there is a problem.

I bet everyone here groans when someone comes along and proclaims in a loud voice that they are a trekkie.

Well, guess what? The rest of the world groans when you blabber about having to wait two months for your David Morgan. :p

So while the girl or girls of your dreams is out there going to the movies (with someone normal), you sit idly with your Indy action figure in hand waiting for ONE movie. :D :D

Oh yeah...keep hope alive :rolleyes::p:D

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I've never had this problem of hiding my Indy collections...because I never had any. I only have a little Indy poster in my room. I think the best way to be an Indy fan is to inspire yourself from Indy. What I mean is I kinda dress in Indy's style but when someone sees me in the steet they don't point me out saying "hey an Indy geek!". Indy's not just useless toys, he's a way of living!

Indy 4

Re: I guess 'denial'...

Raffey said:
...ain't just a river in Africa.

Individual style and hobby is one thing but obsession is something else...

When you are in your twenties and STILL have a room full of toys (not just collectible pieces but TOYS, decorate your home with nothing but first run original movie posters, run to the grocery store wearing a whip, and tell your friends when they come over not to touch your icon's Vader lightsaber autographed by James Earl Jones himself then there is a problem.

I bet everyone here groans when someone comes along and proclaims in a loud voice that they are a trekkie.

Well, guess what? The rest of the world groans when you blabber about having to wait two months for your David Morgan. :p

I agree with your statement here Raff. I posted a statement ealier on this thread along the same lines, but it was delated. I guess I worded it wrong:D Still your right, there is a fine line between being just a plain Indy fan, and being out right Indy obscessed.

So while the girl or girls of your dreams is out there going to the movies (with someone normal), you sit idly with your Indy action figure in hand waiting for ONE movie. :D :D

Oh yeah...keep hope alive :rolleyes::p:D

Lon

I'm in the process of filling my home office with my Indy collectibles. I painted the room red, putting shelves up, framing posters, displaying everything I have. I don't dress up and run around in public as Indiana Jones (except on Halloween). Lots of people collect things and I've seen shows about people who collect things and they always have "someone" in their life who doesn't seem to care. My collection and pursuit of it would be for me only and I would never let it interfere with a relationship if I were in one. I was just curious if that would be an automatic turn-off to women.

westford

Since I'm an Indy fan, if a guy had a collection of Indy stuff I'd probably be dead impressed (and more so if he had French's whip skills! ;) ). But if that was his only interest, things could get pretty dull.

My current boyfriend is 25 and a Star Wars fan - he much prefers the classic trilogy to the prequels and special editions - but that's not the only thing he's into. Most of his collection's stashed away in the attic, so I haven't seen it all, but the fact it's stored like that suggests that while he enjoys collecting stuff, he doesn't let it take over his life (or his room).

Anyway, Indy isn't a hat - he's the man in the hat. People should like you for who you are, not the clothes you wear or the things you own. I had a boyfriend at high school who was into death metal and playing Warhammer (Warhammer has to be worse than Star Wars, surely! :p). The first time I saw his bedroom I thought "what have I let myself in for?" cos there were posters of his favourite bands everywhere, and shelves displaying the Warhammer figures he'd painted... But then he showed me his teddy bear that his dad bought for him the day he was born, and it was one of those ultimate "awwwwwwwww" moments :D

DrJones56

IndyFan
DutchIndy said:
Some think it's sexy :D.... no joke!

6 out of my whopping 78 (No not all at once, what? do you think I'm a pim?! :rolleyes: ) think the gear is sexy... scary numbers. But the 6 that did think it was good, I liked the most, so I feel better! :D

Lon

LOL. This has to be the best quote I've seen on this board. "Warhammer has to be worse than Star Wars, surely!" -- Westford.

My collection stays in my home office. For now anyway. Hopefully I'll have room as I continue to build it. I certainly have other interests and it doesn't consume me. I don't really talk about it with other people or brag about it. I realize it's not for everyone. So hopefully if I do meet a woman she'll either a) love it or b) not be into but doesn't care as long as it's something I enjoy. Which it is.

DutchIndy

DrJones56 said:
DutchIndy said:
Some think it's sexy :D.... no joke!

6 out of my whopping 78 (No not all at once, what? do you think I'm a pim?! :rolleyes: ) think the gear is sexy... scary numbers. But the 6 that did think it was good, I liked the most, so I feel better! :D

78?! Hha... reminds me of Clerks.... 37! My girlfriend ..... 37 .....! :D Seen that flick :D