Tales of the Gold Monkey

monkey

Yes, I remember this show from the early eighties.

It was one of a string of movies/TV shows that were spawned by Indiana Jones.

Jay R. Zay

Tales Of The Gold Monkey

anyone know if this series is still available somewhere (preferably on DVD)? amazon won't help me here and via google i mostly find pages that mention the series and offer information but no place where it's sold.

also i'd be grateful for a few comments from people i know, all i have are anonymous comments on public databases and biased comments from fan pages. how did you like it?

Jay R. Zay

ClintonHammond said:
Last time I went looking I found that the series wasn't available .... On any format.... at least that's what its IMDB page says....

crap, but thanks for the opinion and the fan page.

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
It may not have been very good but it's head-and-shoulders better than anything that Mike Myers has ever put his face to.....

Not my type of movie, but So I married an Axe Murderer was a good flick for what it was.

monkey

It's been so long since I saw that show that I honestly can't remember how good or bad it was. I DO remember it though.

I know that the concept was great............

Yes, it WAS an obvious attempt to cash in on the Indiana Jones type theme, but so what.

As I remember the hero was based somewhere in the South Pacific on an island, it was the 30's, and he had a flying boat....I think he shipped cargo......that was the premise.

Being in the Pacific in the 30's, the Japanese tended to be the heavies, along with pirates, and other assorted bad guys.

good format for adventure stories.

Basic 1930's ADVENTURE type stuff.

If Amazon doesn't have it, then I don't know where you'd be able to find it. There does seem to be a lot of interest in this old series. You would think that it would be available somewhere.

Indy's Fist

Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD?

I know that I might be totally off base here but since the "Staff of the Kings" book was cancled I was hoping for may action/adventure fix some other way. I remember this show being similar to the Indy movies but I can't find any info on a DVD release except for some blip on the radar from October of 2007. It was possible that Universal was planning a release to coincide with the KOTCS release, but so far nothing.

Anyone have any info on this at all?

Johnny Nys

I vaguely remember that show, though I couldn't tell you anything about it. The dog and the mechanic are familiar but otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.

Since they seem to be systematically transferring old TV shows to dvd, I guess it's only a matter of time. Sadly enough, that means having to be patient until.

Insomniac

I recently saw the pilot on you tube and love the show but I recently heard that they wanted to distribute some DVDs around the release for the fourth movie but never happened.(n)

Now to wait until the fifth.:hat:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
sadly there was talk of a DVD release .. but nothing happened - you can buy some copies of DVDs on eBay or Comic cons...

it was a fun show and had Stephen (Star Trek's Capt. Will Decker and 7th Heaven star) Collins, Roddy McDowell and the great actor Jeff MacKay...

I hope the powers that be change their minds and put it out soon..

Stoo

This was a great show and I would watch it every week. "Bring 'Em Back Alive" (with Bruce Boxleitner) was on at the same time but "Gold Monkey" was much more Indy-ish. I almost bough a copy of the entire series on VHS many years ago but held off in hopes of a legit DVD release. My fingers are still crossed...

Jeff MacKay, who played the sidekick, Corky, passed away last year.:(

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Really good show. It was the first Indyish encounter I had at the age of eight only to discover the original a few years later on a TV broadcast with Temple. I recently downloaded the entire show through bittorent.(y)