Rare Tales Omnibus?

DIrishB

I've noticed several mentions of future volumes in Dark Horse's Indiana Jones Omnibus series while here on the boards...is there any truth to this or is this just wishful thinking? Someone mentioned them possibly reprinting the Marvel "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones", as well as possibly including the hard to find comic stories "Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition" (originally printed in the UK Daily Telegraph) and the 2 page story "Mid-Atlantic, April 1916" (originally printed in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Magazine). Of course, these latter two are probably less likely to be reprinted (merely because of their rarity). I'd also like to see the French comics reprinted in English (they've only been available in France and Canada in French...they're like the comic version of the Hohlbein novels).

Anyway, if Dark Horse were to continue the IJ Omnibus editions, what else would you like to see reprinted? I'm starting my list below:

The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones (34 issues)
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition (?????)
Mid-Atlantic, April 1916 (2 pages)
Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods (4 issues...currently being released)
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Pyramid / Indiana Jones et le Secret de la Pyramide (French language comic/graphic novel)
Indiana Jones and the City of Lightning / Indiana Jones et la Cité de la Foudre (French language comic/graphic novel)
Indiana Jones and the Cursed Book of Magic / Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit (French language comic/graphic novel)
Indiana Jones and the Bedouins of the Sea / Indiana Jones et les Bédouins de la Mer (French language comic/graphic novel) <---not sure if I translated that right

Anything I missed you'd like to see reprinted and more readily available?

yodazone

DIrishB said:

Marvel Comics Movie Adaptations:

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1-3
Temple of Doom 1-3
Last Crusade 1-4

Dark Horse

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles 1-12

(y)

Stoo

DIrishB said:
as well as possibly including the hard to find comic stories "Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition" (originally printed in the UK Daily Telegraph) and the 2 page story "Mid-Atlantic, April 1916" (originally printed in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Magazine). Of course, these latter two are probably less likely to be reprinted (merely because of their rarity).
Of course, I would love to see these but am not holding my breath.:(
DIrishB said:
I'd also like to see the French comics reprinted in English (they've only been available in France and Canada in French...they're like the comic version of the Hohlbein novels).
When were these issued? I'm from Quebec, the motherland of French in Canada and have never seen them here!
DIrishB said:
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (publisher unknown)
Young Indiana Jones and the Princess of Peril (publisher unknown)
Might as well thrown in the silly, "Bigfoot" one, too...:p
Star Wars Tales #19

yodazone

Stoo said:
When were these issued? I'm from Quebec, the motherland of French in Canada and have never seen them here!

http://web.archive.org/web/20061230201111/www.theraider.net/information/books/comics_french.php

Stoo said:
Star Wars Tales #19

That Han Solo/Indiana Jones (with Shortround cameo!) was recently reprinted in the Star Wars Hyperspace Fan Club comic:

mmmmmmm.jpg

Though it would be nice to see it reprinted again but with one of the "Indy" collection books.

Maybe a new poll will help over at the Star Wars forums....hmmmm

:whip:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Images from The Further Adventures were so frequent in The Ultimate Guide, I hope to see a coupla Omnibuses compiling them next. It sounds like Indy and Marion's backstory in the movie may have yielded for them. Also, they are the hardest to find. Omnibuses of the 12 YIJC issues and the 12 movie adaption issues (including KotCS hopefully) can wait.

yodazone

I'm mainly interested in seeing the rare "Young Indy" 2-pager that was drawn by Adam Hughes. But I think the only way that'll be collected is with a "Young Indy Chronicles" Omnibus.

The whole "Marvel" Indiana Jones run (1-34 & adaptatons) definitely needs to be reprinted and remastered on new glossy paper. The old newspaper/comic pages don't hold up well from the '80s.

walker

princess of peril and plantation treasure

Stoo said:

If I understand correctly, these are comic adaptations of two volumes in the young reader series of novels that came out in 1992 or thereabouts. Only available in the UK, yeah? That's too bad.
walker

Last edited:

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Marvel Comics Movie Adaptations:

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1-3
Temple of Doom 1-3
Last Crusade 1-4

Dark Horse

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles 1-12

(y)

Good mentions!

Stoo said:

Me neither. I keep emailing the Dark Horse reps suggesting it, though. I'd suggest other fans interested in seeing those rare tales do the same. If enough interest is shown, they'll probably do it.

I think in the early to mid 90's, but can't remember. They originally were released in France, then a couple of them were released (believe it or not) in Canada and were only available through Shell gas stations. Check Indywikia for more info, they have them listed there.

The artwork in them is better than in most of the Dark Horse tales, so I'd definitly love a chance to read these stories (and understand them since I only speak and read English). The same opinion goes for the Hohlbein novels.

Star Wars Tales #19

Good mentions. Even though the Star Wars Tales #19 is non-canon, I'd also like to see it reprinted at a future date in an Indy collection. Never got a chance to read it and it sounds like a fun tale (Indy and Han Solo meeting each other, come on!).

yodazone said:
I'm mainly interested in seeing the rare "Young Indy" 2-pager that was drawn by Adam Hughes. But I think the only way that'll be collected is with a "Young Indy Chronicles" Omnibus.

The whole "Marvel" Indiana Jones run (1-34 & adaptatons) definitely needs to be reprinted and remastered on new glossy paper. The old newspaper/comic pages don't hold up well from the '80s.

Definitly agree, especially about the Young Indy tale ("Mid-Atlantic, April 1916"). Would also like to see the Marvel FAoIJ reprinted, even though I own all the single issues.

Rob Dangerous said:
AFAIK Indiana Jones et les Bédouins de la Mer has never been published.

That would explain why I had so much trouble finding info on it. Thanks for the heads up.

walker said:
If I understand correctly, these are comic adaptations of two volumes in the young reader series of novels that came out in 1992 or thereabouts. Only available in the UK, yeah? That's too bad.
walker

Correct.

phantom train

yodazone said:

I completely agree about reprinting the Marvel IJ comics from the '80's. These are probably the hardest to find of most of the IJ comics, and I don't think they've ever been reprinted.

Back when Dark Horse first mentinoned they were going to reprint the IJ comics in the omnibuses, it was implied that they were going to reprint these Marvel IJ comics, however, I've never seen anything official stating this. We'll see.

yodazone

twlightzone1205 said:
Were there any original Indy stories featured in the UK Star Wars Weekly series that were not in the US?

There was an original Indy cover on UK Star Weekly #167 that hasn't been reprinted yet:

(not sure of any original stories though...)

mvuksww167-2.jpg

DIrishB

Way of the dodo said:
So, the marvel series ran for 34 issues, and had lots of ads. How many issues can they cram into one omnibus volume?

The first two Indy omnibus volumes had 14-15 issues in the if I remember correctly. So they could basically just cut it in half, fitting 17 issues per volume to reprint the Marvel run.

DIrishB

Indiana Jones - Rare Tales Omnibus Thread

Wanted to condense all the scans of the hard to find Indy tales we've been lucky enough to have been getting from Rob Dangerous and IndyClone25. Just figured it'd be easier for people to find if it was all in one thread.

Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition (UK Daily Telegraph Comic - Original Story)
No 1 (6 October 1990)
No 2 (13 October 1990)
No 9 (1 December 1990)
No 11 (15 December 1990)

Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (UK Daily Telegraph Comic - Young Adult Novel Adaptation)
No 14 (5 January 1991)
No 15 (12 January 1991)

Young Indiana Jones and the Princess of Peril (UK Daily Telegraph Comic - Young Adult Novel Adaptation)
No 23 (9 March 1991)
No 25 (23 March 1991)
No 26 (30 March 1991)
No 27 (6 April 1991)
No 29 (20 April 1991)

Indiana Jones - Tomb of Turases III (RPG, WEG - Shadis #17)
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

yodazone

"Mid-Atlantic, April 1916" (Young Indy story)

Story by Kurt Busiek & Art By Adam Hughes

- Rare 2-page comic story with Dark Horse Comics logo

- Published in the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Magazine"
(Welsh Publishing Group - 1992)

Comic Part 1
Comic Part 2

(thx to Rob for the rare scanz!)

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
DIrishB said:
Indiana Jones - Tomb of Turases III (RPG, WEG - Shadis #17)
Page 5
"[The ark] now lies buried in the fabulous warehouses beneath the Smithsonian Institute" ...er, not quite.
It also suggests the Necronomicon and Cthulhu for "a world of Lovecraftian horror." :)