National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

Archaeos

inky_skin said:
I was at the British Museum last week and they had no info on whether it would visit there.

I can tell you very firmly that it will not come to the British Museum.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
Exhibit_Belloq1.jpg

His breastplate: Due to the display's lighting, the translucent quality of the jewels aren't apparent in this photo. Here, they look like opaque, solid rocks. (Compare it to the photo in the "Lucasfilm Archives" book and you'll see the difference.)
0006ky34

Did you get a close look? The top stone looks like something from Jurassic Park...

Rivers

Awesome!! Im super excited that it is coming to Edmonton in 2014!!!!!
Only a three hour drive from where I live in Calgary!!
That made my day!!

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Belloq's ceremonial outfit looks to me to be similar to this one
worn by Byzantine Emperor John on the left:

post_hagiasophia_johnirene.jpg

Hagia Sophia Church, Istanbul, John and Irene Mosaic, around AD 1122
Quite right & good eye, WilliamBoyd! Compare Belloq's headwear as well. It's quite close to the image you posted. See below...

(I was supposed to be going to Istanbul this coming weekend but things didn't work out.:()

Exhibit_Belloq02.jpg

Moedred said:
Did you get a close look? The top stone looks like something from Jurassic Park...
Yeah, in the photo from the "Lucasfilm Archives" book, the top middle stone looks like a large piece of amber* but the one at the exhibit didn't appear that way. Plus, the differences in the other stones seem to indicate that there were (at least) 2 different props for Belloq's breastplate...but I could be wrong.

*During the early '90s, I saw the largest piece of amber (at that time) in a museum in the Dominican Republic. It was, roughly, about the size of 2 baseballs.

Palaceslave_82

Does anyone who was fortunate enough to attend have any hi-res pics of the miniature hero and/or Thuggee puppets in their cart? Seems like every book, magazine or website shows them in shadow, too small, or only up to the waist, ( would like to see from head toe, even if not from exhibit).

Thanks. :)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm surprised this hasn't come up here, especially as it's been mentioned on TheRaider.net:

And for Los Angeles-based Indy fans, the ?Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology? exhibit is coming to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana on Oct. 12, on the heels of the Blu-ray release in September. The exhibit features props from the movies, including the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, as well as genuine archaeological artifacts, many of which served as inspiration for the film.

Archaeos

TheRaider.net? What's that? ;)

Cool to see the next venue revealed. This should make many California-based Raveners very happy.

Also posted this in the Travelling Indy thread, as Travelling Indy will voyage to California at pretty much the same time the exhibition is bound to open.

Meanwhile, my time to see it in Valencia is ticking away, and it seems I won't make it there in time before it closes in September :( :mad:

Last edited:

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
I'm surprised this hasn't come up here, especially as it's been mentioned on TheRaider.net:
That's a surprising scoop because the official website for the exhibit doesn't have this information yet.

I was under the impression that any U.S. cities would've been added after it's planned world tour was over rather being shoehorned in as early as the 3rd stop. This is nice news for fans in the California area but I hope the world tour continues immediately after L.A.

Stoo

emtiem said:
Can I ask what sort of merchandise was on sale at this?
Here is a complete list of what I saw for sale in Montreal:

- Exhibit Poster
- The Indiana Jones Ultimate Guide
- The Indiana Jones Lost Journal
- The Indiana Jones Official Magazine (Issues #1 & 2)
- The Indiana Jones Handbook
- Fedora (costume item for kids)
- Army shirt (costume item for kids)
- Whip (costume item for kids)
- Satchel (costume item for kids)
- Bronze statue of Indy riding a horse & shooting a gun
- Statuette of Henry Sr. w/umbrella & briefcase
- 12 different T-shirts (11 designs but there were 2 versions of the one with the exhibit artwork: English and French.)

I showed photos of all the T-shirt designs in post #158. Check them out!

Stoo

Stefan Jones said:
Anyone was or is able to make some photos from the pins on Mutt´s jacket ?? They are still not all identified......
Hey, Stefan. If I'm correct, you must be that south shore Montreal guy who hangs out at the Indy Lounge forum. Nice to see you here at The Raven. Bienvenue!:hat:

Unfortunately, my photo of the pins on Mutt's jacket turned out extremely poor so it probably won't help identify anything.:(
Palaceslave_82 said:
Does anyone who was fortunate enough to attend have any hi-res pics of the miniature hero and/or Thuggee puppets in their cart? Seems like every book, magazine or website shows them in shadow, too small, or only up to the waist, ( would like to see from head toe, even if not from exhibit).
Palaceslave, I snapped a number of good photos of the miniatures during my 1st visit but that camera was stolen soon after.:mad: There was only 1 display of miniatures so there were no Thuggee puppets at the exhibit. Below is what I took with my crappy, iPhone3 on my 2nd visit. Not great but it's all I have to show. (The bottom image is cropped from the same photo at full resolution):

Exhibit_MineCart_small2.jpg

Exhibit_MineCart_detail.jpg

Dr.Jonesy

Billy Ray said:
Last time I checked, California was in the US ;) Check the previous page for your answer, post #272.

Holy crap! I live an hour away and I'll freakin' be there!

Thanks, I missed that post!
:hat: