Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Henry W Jones

featofstrength said:
"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after "Return of the Jedi"?,' and there really is no answer for that," he said. "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends." - George Lucas, LA Times 2008
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/07/entertainment/et-lucas7

George always just says what sounds good to him at the time he says it.

IndyBr

Sakis said:
Raiders112390 & I.M.J. Kingdom and the Star Wars prequels must have deeply scared you. Not that I'm very fond of them myself but what I see is the will to punish Lucas for making them. You accuse him for being stubborn when this stubborness almost gave him a heart attack while filming Star Wars back in 1977. You seem to forget that this stubborness was fueled by a vision he had and wanted to make it real. And he did. And his stubborness proved him right. And we all loved the result of this stubborness.

He wanted to make Raiders when no studio was willing to finance such a project but his stubborness lead to a killer deal and gave Indy to the world. We all cherish the result of this stubborness and that's how we've come into this forum and contact each other. His stubborness lead him to make Doom dark, to make Young Indy this little artistic/educational series and not just another TV rip off. George Lucas himself said on the set of Revenge of the Sith that everybody would love the new trilogy to begin from that point but he choose not to do so. Of course he made mistakes along the way, nobody can deny that.

So, accusing him for being stubborn is like accusing him for being who he is and for what he has offered. I'm not saying that I will take in anything he serves my way without question but I don't have to go against him. I'm saying all this because many guys cheered in the news of this aquisition not only because new films will be made but because they will not be made by Lucas. Come on guys, have a heart.

For me George Lucas is a guy who did things his way. Some paid off, some didn't. But he never lost my respect.

Well said, Sakis. (y)
Too bad a lot of people can't see that.

Henry W Jones said:
George always just says what sounds good to him at the time he says it.

so that make it okay to keep prattling on about Star Wars like we all know better than the creator...cool...

anything baby wants, baby gets...fandom at its best.

wheel in the golden calf...and by golden calf, I mean Joss Whedon.

AndyLGR

Dr. Gonzo said:
I wonder in what capacity this affects the theatrical re-releases in 3D -- if at all?
There was a recent announcement that episodes 2 & 3 would be released in 3d virtually back to back in 2013.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57501168-1/expect-double-the-star-wars-3d-in-late-2013/

However how this merger affects the release of the OT is anyones guess, because I would assume they wouldn't want these to overlap with the release of episode 7. Unless they intended to release the original trilogy in 3d as a pre-cursor to the release of episode 7? That would make more sense to me.

Interestingly the article above says that Phantom Menace took $40m+ at the US box office. I wonder how that compares to the actual cost of the 3d conversions. Does that box office return deem these 3d conversions to be a success?

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
A boon to my 401k, I must say.

George Lucas said:
"At the same time, for me, I look at it as I'm investing in Disney, because that's my retirement fund."

You got to feel sorry for the guy. He had to sell to Disney because, as of September 2012, Forbes reckoned that Lucas was down to last "$3.3 billion".

If the contract had been delayed he might have been forced to hit the streets cap in hand asking strangers for 10 cents towards his next meal.

How the mighty almost fell!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
You got to feel sorry for the guy. He had to sell to Disney because, as of September 2012, Forbes reckoned that Lucas was down to last "$3.3 billion".

If the contract had been delayed he might have been forced to hit the streets cap in hand asking strangers for 10 cents towards his next meal.

How the mighty almost fell!

Funny, perhaps, but we know plenty of that is going into philanthropy. Forbes estimates that this "will boost his worth by at least $700 million," though how that figure is accounted for I could not say.

Meanwhile, here's another assessment of the deal, from <I>License! Global</I> magazine.

Disney: A Bigger Force Than Ever
Publish date: Nov 1, 2012
By: Tony Lisanti

With its third mega-acquisition in six years, The Walt Disney Company further distances itself from its rivals, bringing one of the most successful franchises ever into the fold.

Whether it was Disney?s chief executive officer Bob Iger?s relentless commitment to growth and expansion or Lucasfilm?s founder George Lucas? desire to protect the legacy of his beloved 35-year-old Stars Wars franchise and move on to other personal projects, the timing was perfect for both companies.

The $4 billion deal gives Disney a multitude of opportunities that will justify its investment, much like the acquisitions of Pixar in 2006 and Marvel in 2009. Since then, Disney has spent more than $15 billion to expand its portfolio and position the company for decades to come.

With Lucasfilm, the world?s largest licensor gets the 15th largest licensor, putting Disney Consumer Products at $40.5 billion in retail sales of licensing products worldwide.

Lucasfilm also gives Disney an instant presence in the sci-fi sector and strengthens its position in all related disciplines among retailers and consumers.

Consider the following:

Content. The deal solidifies Disney?s pipeline for theatrical, television, publishing and digital content for years to come with Star Wars and perhaps someday again with Indiana Jones. Star Wars: Episode 7 is already planned for a 2015 release with Episodes 8 and 9 planned in subsequent years.
Brand licensing. While Lucas Licensing has leveraged the brand extensions as well as any licensor ever has, Star Wars expands its market position in the boy?s toy category and gives Disney a more dominant position at retail;
Live entertainment. With its live events and conventions, Lucas has already established a robust, fan-driven lineup that Disney will continue to leverage and expand, not only within its theme parks, but as separate events as well.
Technology. A part of the deal that will likely be overlooked is Lucasfilm?s other businesses in lighting, visual effects and sound that will complement and enhance Disney?s dominance in cutting-edge technology. They include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound.
Marketing and promotions. The Star Wars property will benefit from Disney?s powerful global marketing initiatives and create even more opportunities for various promotional partnerships.

In any given year, the Disney juggernaut has the wherewithal to produce blockbuster releases from Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar, as well as additional content from its other divisions. The key to long-term success for Disney is to keep these diverse franchises separate to the point that they still drive creative development independently, while leveraging internal global synergies in licensing, marketing, promotions and the like.

Disney must also recognize that what drives one character?s success and power, could lead to another character?s demise.

As the studio and its various divisions, including consumer products, continue to implement its new strategies (see License! Global?s June issue for more) the addition of Lucasfilm adds yet another competitive advantage to a content-rich company, another level of challenges for integration and implementation, and a greater demand for results among shareholders.

Pale Horse

Staff member
It's funny. Fan's and the other 99% of names I won't mention here are salavating or lamenting content. The other 1% see this for what it really is; and are already profiting from it.

Stoo

I.M.J. said:
This from the 45 year old guy who spends his days and nights posting on the Indiana Jones forums, inventing stabby comebacks for things that have nothing to do with him, and spends the rest of his time on You Tube chopping up videos of old men playing his favorite action hero.

Seriously, get off your high horse bud. I responded to Sakis commentary in the nature that he responded to my thoughts that the Lucas film purchase is no big deal.

Everyone, meet Stoo and Sakis - hopefully not a keen example of the cross section of Indy fans that are otherwise respectable people.
Harrison Ford once said: "I must've hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that." Unfortunately, IMJ, the truth hurts sometimes. An adult who buys toys & dolls should be wary of bandying about the terms, "childish" & "child's whiny argument". Doing so makes for a true example of irony.;)

♫♪♫
It's the truth!
It's actual.
Everything is
Satisfactual.
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...
♪♫

Now, if you feel I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, you need to be reminded of your 1st comment on this topic:

"I'm sorry but this is not a disappointment in any way, shape or form. Anyone who says it is has not even a fundamental understanding of things like this."

Who is on a "high horse"? Some people don't like the idea but there is no point explaining to you why there is disappointment because you'll probably just call the reasons "ridiculous", "not valid", "childish", "nonsense", "whiny", "strange" and "neurotic", as you have already done. Talk about not having a fundamental understanding.

The next time you're playing 'tea party' with your toys, you can have Iron Man welcoming Indy into the dollhouse, now that they're both living under the same roof.:p

♫♪♫
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,
Zip-a-Dee-Yay,
My, oh, my,
What a wonderful day.
Plenty of STAR WARS products,
Comin' your way.
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah,
Zip-a-Dee-Yay!
♪♫

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
The other 1% see this for what it really is; and are already profiting from it.

I had Disney stock passed down to me around 8 or 10 years ago from a deceased relative.

After the initial flabberghastment (is that even a word?) of this announcement, you know what the very next thing I did was???

Had a cocktail and waited for Wall Street to make me some money... :D

(Gonzo wrings his hands together in a dastardly money hungry manner)

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
It's funny. Fan's and the other 99% of names I won't mention here are salavating or lamenting content. The other 1% see this for what it really is; and are already profiting from it.

I do find it amusing seeing people getting animated over what is essentially, nothing, unless you're directly involved.

The majority are mere consumers who will eat up whatever's on their plate, regardless of who's serving it to them.

Dr. Gonzo said:
I had Disney stock passed down to me around 8 or 10 years ago from a deceased relative.

After the initial flabberghastment (is that even a word?) of this announcement, you know what the very next thing I did was???

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpeg

Stoo

featofstrength said:
best one on the net...the simplicity rules
To be honest, I don't get this one.:eek: (The image of Han with what appears to be "Andy" written on the bottom of his boot.)
Dr. Gonzo said:

The next round of drinks is on you then, Gonzo!:D Here's an image I put together in March 2011:

IndyHerbie2.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
To be honest, I don't get this one.:eek: (The image of Han with what appears to be "Andy" written on the bottom of his boot.)

A Toy Story reference?

Didn't Andy write his name on his toys to signify ownership?

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
A Toy Story reference?

Didn't Andy write his name on his toys to signify ownership?
Ah, yes. That'd be it. Pretty funny!:D

"There's a snake in ma boot!"

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Kind of weird that a prediction I made back in March has actually happened.

Anyway, my two cents:

On the whole, I think it's a good move. Disney had their eyes on the prize for a long while- the Disney crossover merch, the rides, the similar genre movies over the past 30 years. That to me, is why it was going to happen.

It's a good move, as Lucasfilm was kind of dead in the water post-Sith, let alone post-KOTCS. And it seems Lucas just didn't have the drive anymore to continue in the biz, esp after reading the Red Tails interviews. I don't think Spielberg would do the same as Spielberg is more driven than Lucas to make films and can foresee that he will continue to do so till the end of his days or sickness stops him from physically doing so.

Disney will likely continue Clone Wars leading up to Episode 7- can see Lucas having story credit, possibly co-screenwriting credit but stepping away from producing. As someone else has stated, a 5 year timeline is about right for Indy- though I think it will be sooner than 5 years. I'm thinking an animated series will pop up around the time of episode 7, most likely just after. In terms of deal, Paramount and Disney will probably come to an agreement- Paramount would want more Indys' simply for the box office draw and Disney may allow it for distribution unless Disney decides to be too greedy in this regard.

And that's just it. Disney has bought Marvel and now Lucasfilm. Disney need to be very careful about how they deal with their companies- mega companies can crumble as easily as they are bought. The recent WFC showed that. Esp considering the high risk venture the film biz is. And how easily their film dept budget blew out with John Carter and Lone Ranger is another example of this venture's risk.

The good news ultimately for fans that don't mind this deal, will be films, cartoons and re-boots, and definitely more merch and ancillaries to collect. The hate at this point, is a tad unfounded at this point. Unfortunately we will have to wait a couple of years to see some results of what will come of this to judge it properly from the fan's stand point.