Indiana Jones and the Norse Gods

Indy fan 235

Not sure if this should be in a section dedicated to our wonderful Dr. Jones, but, I love Norse mythology and reading about it. Has there ever been a bool about Indy searching after a Norse relic? Say Thor's hammer or something?

Wasn't Odin's Eye an artifact in one of the games???

Or was that a Tomb Raider game....

They all kinda blend together.

"Thor's hammer or something?"
Except that only Thor could lift it...

Indy fan 235

I think it would make for a great idea story wise. Maybe when the film comes out, if they start making new novels, they will do that as a story.

IkoJones

Indy fan 235 said:
I think it would make for a great idea story wise. Maybe when the film comes out, if they start making new novels, they will do that as a story.

I was thinking of a story involving Norse mythology. Sadly, I don't have enough knowledge of it so I let it go... Do you? Maybe you could come with something... I can help with ideas... well, maybe...

:hat:

Don Karnage

That would be interesting. But it would have to be something at least kind of real. Thor's hammer is a little too mythological.... If that makes sense.

But Andvarranaut or Gram (and you could tie that in with the whole Arthurian thing easily) would be very cool. Especially since there is so much you could do with that in a historical sense. Volsunga Saga is fertile ground indeed for an Indy retelling. (y)

Or Skofnung, lots of stories about that sword. Heck you could do a bit of revisionist saga writing and say that it was forged from Gram.

And the cool thing is that these stories have at least shreds of historical truth to them. Its that same possibility that lets us enjoy the other Indy movies.

IkoJones

How about the Ring of the Nibelung? I know it's a bit too south to be Norse but has this magic around it. Don't you like Tolkien's stories?

By the way, what are these Andvarranaut and Gram?

:hat:

Don Karnage

The ring of the Nibelungs *is* Andvarranaut. ;)

essentially. The historicalness comes from some fabled treasure of the Burgandians which factors into the saga in a small way.

Gram is Sigurds sword. It was given by Odin to Sigmundr (he was the only one who could pull it out of a tree stump) but it broke and Sigmundr died and eventually Regin reforged it for Sigmunds son, Sigurdr.

And yes, i do enjoy Tolkiens stories. I enjoy them even more when I compaire it to the source material that gave him inspiration. :)

Speaking of Tolkien I was Hitchhiking in Scotland and this guy picked me up in his tiny rickity car,his accent was strong and he spoke fast but he told me a fascinating story about how his grandfather used to rent a cabin to Tolkien in his Oxford days. Tolkien would go out there with his college buddies and write poems sip tea and smoke longleaf pipe weed. Then one day Tolkien demanded that no one was allowed to join him at the cabin and to not disturb him. When this mans Grandfather asked him why he said something to the fact that he was conversing with an ancient nature spirit who was telling him an important tale concerning the lost connection between man and nature. All I thought when he was telling me this was "Wow,that must have been some great Longbottom leaf from the shire." :D

metalinvader

ClintonHammond said:
"Thor's hammer is a little too mythological...."
No more so than "The Holy Grail"

Ha,True...Thor's Hammer has be described as smashing Mountains with one blow and crushing giants.Sounds like something the Nazis would want!

What about Odin's spear?( The name escapes me) It's been awhile since I've read norse mythology does that have any powers?

otto rahn

I don't know about Norse gods but how about Indy going after an artifact (or artifacts) that would "prove" that the Vikings discovered North America ? Maybe there is a REAL "Vinland Map" out there ?;)

Stoo

I was going to say the same thing. The Vikings were in Newfoundland
hundreds of years before Chris Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

As for Indy stories featuring Norse/Viking artifacts? Marvel comics #24,
"The Secret of the Deep", involves Rurik's crown.

otto rahn

metalinvader said:
Ha,True...Thor's Hammer has be described as smashing Mountains with one blow and crushing giants.Sounds like something the Nazis would want!

What about Odin's spear?( The name escapes me) It's been awhile since I've read norse mythology does that have any powers?
If I remember correctly Victor Milan and Melinda Snodgrass wrote a novel entitled "Runespear", set in the 1930's and featuring an American (I think) achaeologist who gets involved with a Nazi expedition ( I think they kidnap him) to retrieve Odin's spear, Gungnir, from somewhere in Norway . However I read the book in 1996 so I can't rmember the details. Would make a perfect "Indiana Jones" adventure !